The Canadian snowspider - Xhexdxesthis froidaraignee

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Found this girl hanging out by the neighbor's truck. Thought I'd share.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
What's the DSL on her? And how many neighborhood cats are missing?

LOL,,,

Marga

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's the DSL on her? And how many neighborhood cats are missing?

LOL,,,

Marga
DLS is about 3' - I don't know how many cats are missing, but as you can see by her abdomen, she's either gravid or extremely well-fed. ;)

So it's... hibernating?
No...she's preparing to hunt. They're like Sicarius spp., only in snow, and their burying technique is much...slower. They sit there and wait for the falling snow to bury them. It's a good thing they blend in with their surroundings, otherwise this technique might get them run over by cars or something...

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
No...she's preparing to hunt. They're like Sicarius spp., only in snow, and their burying technique is much...slower. They sit there and wait for the falling snow to bury them. It's a good thing they blend in with their surroundings, otherwise this technique might get them run over by cars or something...

It didn't work for this girl apparently though, when I went out this morning she had been run over already. I'm pretty sure that I found her abdomen in the snowbank.

Edit* Here's a picture of her from my camera, before her unfortunate run in with a car.

Attachments

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it some kind of Ceratogyrus? Seems to have a horn embryo on its forehead : P

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now that is MUCH easier to see than the tiny thumbnail I received on my phone last night. I didn't know you'd named it though rofl. Coldspider. Original. ;)

Sorry to hear about X. froidarignee's run-in with the car. Maybe you could cast what's left of her in resin. I sure don't forsee any potential problems with that.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it some kind of Ceratogyrus? Seems to have a horn embryo on its forehead : P
No, that's the eye turret. I guess it must have become deformed in the last molt...:8o

Now that is MUCH easier to see than the tiny thumbnail I received on my phone last night. I didn't know you'd named it though rofl. Coldspider. Original. ;)

Sorry to hear about X. froidarignee's run-in with the car. Maybe you could cast what's left of her in resin. I sure don't forsee any potential problems with that.
I am the king of original. Ok, not really.

If you upgrade your phone to a larger viewscreen, we wouldn't have this problem. ;)

I don't see any problems with casting in resin either. I'm sure customs will be ok with me bringing her home with me today so I can.

That spider is not on the proper substrate!:}

--Dan
Hey hey hey, she was in her natural environment! I had absolutely NO CONTROL of her location, AT ALL. :}

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok now I am slightly confused, it says you live in Florida yet I see way too much snow and you said Canadian?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in Florida, but I'm in Canada right now. Heading back to the airport, actually.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok that makes more sense there. Must have been fun. Good old Canada in December. Great time to visit.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, thanks for sharing this picture. :D

You guys made my day.

Have a good trip back home :)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I live in Florida, but I'm in Canada right now. Heading back to the airport, actually.
When I got home from dropping you off at the airport, I found it's abdomen and carapace spread out in the snowbank. No trace of the rest of it though, too bad, I would have liked to have it hang around a while. :)

archieph

Arachnosquire
hahah

this pic has been posted in one of my threads.. good one man :worship: awesome t btw

captmarga

Arachnobaron
OMW... the play-doh threat pose just nearly made me fall out of bed! That needs to be printed on t-shirts!!!

FAB thread - I love all the creativity!!!

Marba

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The play-doh spider's chelicerae look like a butt crack! :}