The Biology Of Scorpions by Gary Polis

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, i'm looking for this book and can see that Amazon have it listed for 36 dollars. Not bad i thought but theres apparently a 4-6 week shipping time.
Yeah, well if i have to wait then i have to wait but i'd much rather be able t oget hold of it much quicker than that.
Does anyone have a example for sale or does anyone know where i could get hold of a copy reasonably quickly.

Of topic.
I had a B.jacksonii give birth the other day. On day one there was a uncountable mass on her back and by day 3 there was one left. She had eaten them all despite there being other food available.
Also i hadn't disturbed her as there was a mirror positioned behind her house allowing me to observe her scrape under some bark without even touching her enclosure.

It'll be a while before she gets her leg over again..

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I don't think Amazon has this book. Why would people pay so much money for
it, when supposedly Amazon sells it "of the shelves"..? Maybe you should try and order it, but I think you'll be unsuccesful. Otherwise it would be a great deal, even if you had to wait 4-6 months!;)
Can't you rent it from a library?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey
i paid 90 dollars to have it shipped from the US (reprint)

... if its 36 dollars it MUST be a used copy..

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got mine from the UMI site. $30 door to door. Pretty impressive really. I should have got the hard cover though ($36) as it got a bit bent in the post. They dont use the cardboard 'book' envelopes that amazon do...

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cheers guys, i didn't know about UMI so that's another good link for the collection.
Anyway thanks for the tip Charlie_Scorp, i made sure to check the hardbound option for just 6 dollars extra.

Just the waiting now....;)

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
***I've attempted to order from the same vender that you are talking about, on amazon. If you contact the vender she will quickly respond to you not to purchase the book, as it is no longer available. Why it's still there I don't know.
---
While on this topic, does anyone know a reasonable source for Polis' "Scorpion Biology and Research"?

Fizco

Arachnopeon
I got mine from the UMI site. $30 door to door. Pretty impressive really. I should have got the hard cover though ($36) as it got a bit bent in the post. They dont use the cardboard 'book' envelopes that amazon do...
I think i ordered mine about the same time as you. I got the hard bound copy and i'm pretty impressed with it :)
Came in a padded jiffy bag and the price included the postage.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It definitely came quicker that expected...perhaps even 1/2 the time but like I said....hard cover all the way. I have no doubt that mine will not stand the test of time too well and the jiffy bag just wasn't appropriate for sending a soft back oversea....
I am happy with the book though but if you're not continental US...HARDBACK is the way....

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
While on this topic, does anyone know a reasonable source for Polis' "Scorpion Biology and Research"?
Since it is relatively new, it will still command a premium price. Unfortunatley, you often cannot find used copies of this type of text until well after the publication date.

HARDBACK is the way....
Have to agree with you there. That being said, my wife "laminated" the soft cover with packing tape after writing on the cover. It actually looks pretty decent and it is standing up really well.

Cheers,
Dave

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. You can order the book online be independant books, they reprinting it. A brand new one costs you 36 euro's. I ordered it there too.

2. Babycurus species are known to wipe their backs clear of young if disturbed, if captive conditions are not right and lots of times for unknown reasons. Too bad, oh well, you only have to wait three months.
Babycurus jacksoni can give up to five litters from one succesfull insemination.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Michiel, can you please post or PM the the address for this retailer please.

Many thanks,

CHarlie

1. You can order the book online be independant books, they reprinting it. A brand new one costs you 36 euro's. I ordered it there too.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Charlie scorp

I have the adress at home, so i can post it tomorrow. In the meantime you could google for "independant books"...

Ciao

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Babycurus species are known to wipe their backs clear of young if disturbed, if captive conditions are not right and lots of times for unknown reasons. Too bad, oh well, you only have to wait three months.
Babycurus jacksoni can give up to five litters from one succesfull insemination.
Turned out to be nearly 4 months but at least this group look as if they are going to be ok..

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ordered mine from the same place...Dropped on my door almost exactly 6 weeks after i ordered.
And yes, the quality certainly is good enough for the low price they are asking..