The Best Avic Habitat Ever

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Nice

You're gonna have to wipe off the glass often, 'cause there'll be poop sprayed all over it. :)

-Sean

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's been in there one night and I've already cleaned twice.... it's worth it though.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great JOb! Very creative. :clap:

I should stop by my local hobby shop..:rolleyes:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's really nice! Was the glass already in there or did you modify what you bought? Also, what department did you find it in?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now those are some awesome setups..... maybe my mom would let me put a few in her house if they were housed like that! Very artsy.....and decorative.

Hows the ventalation in those things?

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's actually a candle house holder from the garden department. The top was open so I hot glued a hemp colored screen on the top and there are tiny cracks between the glass and wood for air to come in from. The bottom is my favorite because we found some really cool all natural green moss that makes it look like mini grass. The moss is alive so it is producing oxygen that will also help with the circulation.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice setup. :clap: You should bring it to Antiques Roadshow and see what they appraise it at. lol

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Best Avic Habitat Ever
I would let time decide how well that set up works before calling it the best ever... but that's just me, and my experience with Avicularia's has been that more space is not always a good thing.

I'd make my guess that that tarantula will live solely up in the top corner above where you can see it, but that's just my guess.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would let time decide how well that set up works before calling it the best ever... but that's just me, and my experience with Avicularia's has been that more space is not always a good thing.

I'd make my guess that that tarantula will live solely up in the top corner above where you can see it, but that's just my guess.
Enough space for Avicularias == Avicularia tubeweb, such as typically found in nature, i.e rather opaque, though quite distinct and impressive.

In my experience, they usually come out for hunting from time to time; which would result in them being visible (in most tanks).

If they don't get enough space (to build their tubeweb), they will simply web everything. And the webbing will still be rather opaque, so they will remain rather invisible.

Thus, I don't entirely get your point :)

OP: Nice looking enclosure. Is that speciment adult?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Enough space for Avicularias == Avicularia tubeweb, such as typically found in nature, i.e rather opaque, though quite distinct and impressive.

In my experience, they usually come out for hunting from time to time; which would result in them being visible (in most tanks).

If they don't get enough space (to build their tubeweb), they will simply web everything. And the webbing will still be rather opaque, so they will remain rather invisible.

Thus, I don't entirely get your point :)

OP: Nice looking enclosure. Is that speciment adult?

and (IME) too much space for Avicularia's = not much webbing (at least, not a concentration of webbing)= dead Avicularia's, this setup I would say would be overly large for many Avicularia specimens.

But hey, people can (and should) set their spiders up the way they want.

To modify this set up I would either make it smaller or add a lot more things into the enclosure for webbing anchors, but that's just me....

Cheers.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice setup. :clap: You should bring it to Antiques Roadshow and see what they appraise it at. lol
"The sculpt of this A.versicolor is a southwestern design that was popular during the 1920's. Note the exaggerated setae typical of that period..."

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and (IME) too much space for Avicularia's = not much webbing (at least, not a concentration of webbing)= dead Avicularia's, this setup I would say would be overly large for many Avicularia specimens.

But hey, people can (and should) set their spiders up the way they want.

To modify this set up I would either make it smaller or add a lot more things into the enclosure for webbing anchors, but that's just me....

Cheers.
Ah ok. I disagree, but hey, got to love democracy :)

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say add more stuff in there for webbing and see how well your spider likes it... But I LOVE the idea, for sure! The price sounds about right, too. Do not be upset if the moss does not survive, though.

Here is our Avic habitat... It is a modified ornamental plastic fish bubble tank thing. Cost about $5 all told!