Thai black?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For what it's worth

Swifty,

Your honesty and diligent efforts are well recognized... my next order will be with you. (should be in a couple of weeks)

Botar

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
swifty

so far that seems to be the general consensus when it comes to mr kelly swift! i'm just getting into this whole "tarantula world" and, across the board, i find that swift is well-received by all. i have yet to find a bad review on him. kelly, i just sent you an email--i've done my research and you're the dealer for me! =D

-kellygirl

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is a darn good thread...

Informative thread...but don't mistake my brother Jack (Haploman) for me, john (LaRiz).
Dang, I knew this would happen.
john
(so far, just lurkin'...hi everybody!)

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Okay. Now for the 5 million Dollar question.

If the T's being sold as H. minax are actually H. sp. "aureopilosum", then what are the T's being sold as H. sp. "aureopilosum" ? :?

Scott
Good morning!

Some dealers sell Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" still as Haplopelma minax, maybe they don't know it better or they have no further interest to change the established name. Other dealers, which maybe have contact to tarantula systematists and which are interested in selling Species with the correct names, sell this tarantulas under the name Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum". That's it! Do I get the 5 million Dollars now???:D :D

Cheers, Volker

Last edited by a moderator:

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so, after reading this post from start to finish my head hurts.... congratulations guys... you almost killed the devildoll.

in short... the original posted picture is the "actual" H. minax?
and the jet black beauty sold as H. minax is actually H. sp? "aureopilosum"

am i totally off? it is 4:20 in the morning here and my head aint' feeling right now

oh yeah....
Kelly Swift does rock the house! hehehehe

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
way to go!

Way to go folks! Now I'm trapped in my office, because my head will no longer fit through the door! ha ha! :)(

Thanks for all the positive replys! :)

Swifty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll

in short... the original posted picture is the "actual" H. minax?
and the jet black beauty sold as H. minax is actually H. sp? "aureopilosum"
Hi DD!

Well, you're almost correct,but... it's quite the contrary!;)

In short: The tarantula which is named as Haplopelma minax in the Petrade, isn't that Species in reality.It's in most cases a Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" and has nothing to do with the real Haplopelma minax which was described by Mr. Thorell (a swedish arachnologist) before 100 Years ago and which was never imported to my knowledge (I have never seen the real Haplopelma minax in a petshop). The Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" is also nearly black but it has a brownish Carapax which is bordered with lighter hairs. The outside of Patella and Tibia of the Legs have very distinct orange hairs, especially after a freshly moult (please see the green markings on the below shown picture of Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum"). ATTENTION: This isn't the case in the real Haplopelma minax.There aren't any orange Hairs on the outside of the Patella and/or Tibia of the Legs; The real Haplopelma minax is uniform black without any lighter or orange Hairs (see the picture in the following Posting!).

This is a female of Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" (and the male in savian's Posting is also a male of Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" !!!!!):

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the female of the real Haplopelma minax ( does anybody recognise a brownish carapax which is bordered with lighter brownish hairs, or can anybody see an orange hairfringe on the outside of the Patella and Tibia of Legs? I can't!:p):
(Picture by Pat Kane)

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you volkervon!
thats what i thought, but so much talk, so much confusion, such an odd time of day! lol

i'm happy now cause that's what my female H. minax looks like :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by VolkervonWirth
Good morning!

That's it! Do I get the 5 million Dollars now???:D :D

Cheers, Volker
Sure you do, I just have to go out and buy some Monopoly sets to get the cash together. ;P ;)

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Kelly,

Those are the exact species that we are talking about. But looking at the pictures, it looks like Rick's webmaster has the pictures switched. I'll drop Rick an email and see what he says.

Scott

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
is rick west considered one of the experts in the tarantula field?
Hi Kelly,

a citation from Rick West in an e-Mail to me from 8th November 2001:

"Without close access to the old European collections ... I will always remain a second player."

Rick is definitely one of the leading tarantula experts of the world, but sometimes it could be difficult for him to identify a tarantula because of the above mentioned finding!

Cheers, Volker

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess mine isn't a minax pic...

Damn another one bites the dust. I guess my Minax is actually and aueropilosum. Oh well still cool spiders just sucks to have to change the name on my page. lol This is an aueropilosum right Volker? Oh yeah you guys are making my head hurt now.
Phil

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gee I guess I came up with a good topic. It even makes peoples heads hurt.;P Thanks for the info by the by.:D ;) :)

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Forget the Ts ! I wanna kno !!

I just wanna kno where Savian gets those NAUGHTY ICKY avatars !!!:?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: I guess mine isn't a minax pic...

Originally posted by Phillip
Damn another one bites the dust. I guess my Minax is actually and aueropilosum. Oh well still cool spiders just sucks to have to change the name on my page. lol This is an aueropilosum right Volker? Oh yeah you guys are making my head hurt now.
Phil
Hey Phil!

Yes, I would say that this species on the picture is a Haplopelma sp."aureopilosum. She hasn's such a distinct orange hairfringe on the outside of the Legs, but that isn't unusual.Especially young females have a very distingt orange hairfringe. When they get older,that hairfringe becomes more and more inconspicuous. That is the problem with using coloration as an identification character to distinguish Species.I've used this here,because I know that the most of you haven't any nearer knowledge about Systematic. In reality - I've pointed this out with the Spermathecae and Stridulating Organ Pictures in this Thread - the identification and distinction of tarantula Species orientates more on morphological characters, like Genitalmorphology, structure of Stridulating organ, shape and structure of Fovea, length-relation of Legs and so on!

originally posted by savian
Gee I guess I came up with a good topic. It even makes peoples heads hurt. Thanks for the info by the by.
I know! I often make headache to other people with my postings!
;P ;)
It's always an endangerment to post something about asian tarantulas in a tarantula-forum, if I'm a member of this!:D :D

Cheers, Volker