Thai Arachnids

BaliMan43

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I was just curious about what kind of arachnids I can expect to see in Thailand. Is there a large number of tarantula or scorpion species?

Thanks

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could possibly run across some of the Chilobrachy's or some of the Haplopelmas. You will most likely just see the burrow entrances. As for scorps, don't know much on that one.:? ;)

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Walk down a Thai market and you'll see a lot of fried Haplopelma minax! Local delicacy.

Haplopelma minax and albostriatum are eaten there.... :(
The other haplo in thailand is Haplopelma longipes

Also in Thailand are spiders from the Ornithoctonus genus:
- aureotibialis
- andersoni
etc
And the Chilobrachys:

Chilobrachys huahini
Chilobrachys paviei

Having searched google, i have found 18 species of scorpion native to Thailand:

Isometrus maculatus
Isometrus petrzelkai
Isometrus vittatus
Lychas krali
Lychas mucronatus
Lychas scutilus
Thaicharmus mahunkai
Chaerilus cavernicola
Euscorpiops binghamii
Euscorpiops longimanus
Euscorpiops problematicus
Scorpiops farfaci
Liocheles australasiae australasiae
Heterometrus cimrmani
Heterometrus laoticus
Heterometrus petersii (?)
Heterometrus sejnai
Heterometrus spinifer spinifer (?)

can i come with you??? :D:D

BaliMan43

Arachnopeon
hey thanks a lot for the info guys. 18 species of tarantulas is awesome. Im looking forward to my trip now more than ever.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys. I was just curious about what kind of arachnids I can expect to see in Thailand. Is there a large number of tarantula or scorpion species?

Thanks
When I was there I ran across a few Haplopelma minax in burrows. I didn't even notice one of them untill it was biting the hell out of my boot. My toe came to rest at its burrow entrance and it shot out and started repeatedly striking the toe of my jungle boot, to no avail. I felt a 'thump' 'thump-thump-thump'. It was even releasing venom, I watched it run down the toe. I would say every one of these I crossed was extremely hostile and quick. So I would watch where your hands are. I probably came across about 4 to 6 of these guys, all too agressive to mess with.

I found one Haplopelma albostriatum sitting at the edge of a burrow. I coaxed it out without it getting bitey on me. I was able to pick it up and hold it. It was super cool.

Those are the only T's I came across though I wasn't hunting for them, moreso training.

Scorpions, now those were more than numerous. Seems like everywhere you sit in the jungle you can lift up some leaves and find one or two Heterometrus spiniferis. I didn't really mess with them too much. I'm more of a spider kinda guy and not so much big on scorpions. They didn't seem very aggressive, I'm sure they had a few oppertunities to sting me.

Thaiiland is pretty awesome as far as wildlife goes. There is a lot of alien looking creatures venturing the jungles. Lots of nasty winged pests. Lots of snakes. We encountered a few baby cobras in the old stone barracks we stayed at.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My toe came to rest at its burrow entrance and it shot out and started repeatedly striking the toe of my jungle boot, to no avail. I felt a 'thump' 'thump-thump-thump'. It was even releasing venom, I watched it run down the toe. I would say every one of these I crossed was extremely hostile and quick.
Haha {D ...don't wear flip-flips, BaliMan