Texas Brown Eggsack

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi
I found my female Texas Brown with what appears to be an eggsack. Im a first time breeder so bear with me here. I put a male in with her about a month ago or something like that and so here is a picture of her with the eggsack. Any tips on what to do with it. Do I need to intervene or will the mother do everything as far as care of the eggsack goes?

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
dont disturb her, dont feed her . it depends on how much work YOU want to do. i think leaving the sack wiht her for 40 days then pulling it wold be good.

oh and id get rid of the perlite next substrate change if i were you lol

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok. Thanks. Lol. I keep my centipedes with that and I just keep a bucket of mixed peat and perlite so i just used that as substrate. I will change it though.

Thanks
Andy

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where did you get this spider? A month seems way too short between mating and laying of a sac. Is it possible that she was bred before you got her?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's possible, but they don't need to be bred to produce eggsacs. Personally, I think production of eggs is likely triggered by environmental conditions: temp changes, increase/decrease in humidity, availability of water and food. You can breed a female and still not have her produce an eggsac. And I've had females fat as the dickens before I breed, only to have her drop a viable eggsac within a few weeks of mating.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok. Thanks. Lol. I keep my centipedes with that and I just keep a bucket of mixed peat and perlite so i just used that as substrate. I will change it though.

Thanks
Andy
i wouldnt use the perlite for centipedes either lol
i did before and didnt like it at all. i use straight peat or coco fibre now. BUT i am planning to use some black gumbo and make a natural type centipede habitat with rocks and a small "pond" and try to house 2-3 SHC in there communally...but thats for another area lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's possible, but they don't need to be bred to produce eggsacs. Personally, I think production of eggs is likely triggered by environmental conditions: temp changes, increase/decrease in humidity, availability of water and food. You can breed a female and still not have her produce an eggsac. And I've had females fat as the dickens before I breed, only to have her drop a viable eggsac within a few weeks of mating.
i have an A. seemani that made a big fat egg sac a year or so ago and was never bred at all. it was of course infertile but she tended it liek it was gold. then one day drug it out and dumped it.

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi
Yes it is possible that she was bred before I got her. I caught this girl behind my house. I don't know if it was a month to be exact either. It was probably longer, I should have written it down.

Thanks
Andy