Texas Aphonopelma???

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
I got this spider from a friend several years ago. It was a tiny sling and all the info he gave me about the T was that it was from Texas and it was an Aphonopelma. Since it is growing (and is about 3 inches) I feel that an ID may be possible at this point. So what do you think, what type of Aphonopelma could this spider be? Thanks for the help!!!

Attachments

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Thanks briarpatch10,
It does not show up as well in the pictures, but the hair on the opisthosoma has a redish sheen to it. Do A. hentzi have that?

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
briarpatch10 and baltazar,
Thanks for the input!

The reason I am asking about what species this spider may be, is because I would love to attempt breeding with out producing hybrid young. So, is there a specific body part I should try and get a picture of that will define the species? Can the species be told by a shed skin? I would like to be as close to 100% sure as I can be.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ID'ing the spermathecea(spelling?) would be one way to correctly id this T....if indeed it is female

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A. hentzi

The structure of the legs + the long "fluffy" appearance of the setae on the legs distinguish this spider from A. anax.

Away we go? Hmmm...that was a short trip.

Cheers,
Chris

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That ... as they say..is par for the course they are slow growers. {D
Yes, I've heard it said by many. Personally, all the Aphonopelmas I've raised grew pretty quickly, especially once they reached an inch or two. But there are a LOT of Aphonopelma species, and I haven't kept anywhere near all of them! Yet... :}