Terrified of handling feeder crickets for new sling, even with forceps.

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
I recently got a new sling, and bought some small sized crickets to feed it today. With my much larger scorpion I had been shuffling the feeding container over the enclosure and a cricket would eventually fall in, but with the small container the sling is in I have to coax one in. The sling was curious at first and tried to attack it but when it jumped it got startled and kept running away, so I had to remove the cricket. When I tried to put the cricket back in the enclosure it jumped on my arm and I freaked out. I feel like such a <edit> because I cannot hold crickets properly. Even with tongs, I get shivery and can't keep a firm grip. I don't mind watching them or caring for them, it's just when they jump and flit around that it kills me. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Just remember that its only a cricket. Maybe you could use a catch cup to catch one, put it in the freezer so it slows down, and then feed it to your pet.

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Just remember that its only a cricket. Maybe you could use a catch cup to catch one, put it in the freezer so it slows down, and then feed it to your pet.
oh, I did not know that they slow down. Thanks for the advice... Still going to take a long time to handle though :(

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Can you get a cricket keeper? I've got one and it makes dealing with crickets a lot easier. It's basically a plastic box with two tubes, one on each side. You can drop in food or water gel from the top, and the crickets will hide in the tubes. When you want to feed one, you remove one of the tubes and tap the top of it, and a cricket or two will fall out. No handling necessary. The one I have only works with large crickets, though -- pinheads or smaller crickets can squeeze out through the vented plastic top. (I discovered this after finding a few rogue crickets around my apartment.)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I had that kind of "fear" too. When I first worked with them, U never wanted to hinestly touch/hold them. All I can recommend is actually caring for them as pets or trying to handle them more. There are some increduble cricket species out there, including huge cave crix and others. All I had to do was physically work with them and I got used to it overtime :D At least they can't hurt you like T's or scorps, so as long as you can put yourself out there and work with them, you will get used to them :D Not sure if this helped, but I hope you can overcome your uneasiness ;)

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Can you get a cricket keeper? I've got one and it makes dealing with crickets a lot easier. It's basically a plastic box with two tubes, one on each side. You can drop in food or water gel from the top, and the crickets will hide in the tubes. When you want to feed one, you remove one of the tubes and tap the top of it, and a cricket or two will fall out. No handling necessary. The one I have only works with large crickets, though -- pinheads or smaller crickets can squeeze out through the vented plastic top. (I discovered this after finding a few rogue crickets around my apartment.)
they seem good but they are so pricey...

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
I had that kind of "fear" too. When I first worked with them, U never wanted to hinestly touch/hold them. All I can recommend is actually caring for them as pets or trying to handle them more. There are some increduble cricket species out there, including huge cave crix and others. All I had to do was physically work with them and I got used to it overtime :D At least they can't hurt you like T's or scorps, so as long as you can put yourself out there and work with them, you will get used to them :D Not sure if this helped, but I hope you can overcome your uneasiness ;)
Interestingly I am much more comfortable holding scorpions and tarantulas to crickets and cockroaches...

user 666

Arachnobaron
oh, I did not know that they slow down. Thanks for the advice... Still going to take a long time to handle though :(
Better to put them in the fridge for 20 minutes - never the freezer.

If you forget the crickets in the freezer you will kill them. They will survive being forgotten in the fridge.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Gradual exposure helps and eventually you will master your fear.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, if you get a cooler type of cricket or grasshopper as a pet, that might help. I am personally a huge fan of Stenopelmatus and cave crickets.
You can also pick up crickets with a deli cup and close them in it, then quickly dump it out into the predator's cage. That's what I do, since they're so fast and I don't want them to escape.

Vnhunter

Arachnopeon
I have been using crickets as bait since I was a kid as well as playing with all manner of bugs so its conditioned me. I agree with a lot of the suggestions. Try handling the crickets not just for feed time may help put you at ease. Just don't get to attached you may not want to feed them to your darlings :p

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I've found that if I look too much at the crix, I start thinking about how cute they are and I get attached. :/

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Yeah, if you get a cooler type of cricket or grasshopper as a pet, that might help. I am personally a huge fan of Stenopelmatus and cave crickets.
You can also pick up crickets with a deli cup and close them in it, then quickly dump it out into the predator's cage. That's what I do, since they're so fast and I don't want them to escape.
I would usually do that except that this new sling that I have bought really doesn't want to eat and keeps running away from food items... I've been shaking trying to remove crickets from its container.

nepenthe

Arachnopeon
I used to hate touching my bugs (the prickly feeling used to creep me out). The only way to get over it is to try to touch your bugs more and get used to the sensations and movements. I started with small dubia but just find a species that's less gross to you and work up from there.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, that's what I'd recommend. If you have any pet roaches, handle those and get used to it, then maybe you'll be more okay with crix.