Terrestrial Setups

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
HI everyone, Id like to see pictures of everyones setups for terrestrial/burrowing spiders. I think it would be neat to see what everyone else is doing for their spiders. Perhaps then we can get some ideas of what to add/remove to our current setups. What decor people use, what they use to allow for their T's to hide and substrate etc. I can never find pics of tarantula setups on the web so i thought here i could find some because im always looking to improve my tarantulas' cages to make life better and less stressful!

Mark

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My distress

Hey everyone,
I'm a little disapointed that no one has responded to Bjorgly's idea of comparing terrestrial setups. i think it's a good idea to toss on some pics to see how people do things. I too can never find terrestrial setups on the web, and you folks are the only experts, or squires, or whatever, that I know. i thought everyone might compare notes, so I could steal ideas :D .
Did i motivate anyone?
The Rookie

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I'll see if I can snap some pictures tonight and post them.

Scott

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I would assume you are probably looking for an actual "set up". I don't keep anything in any type of enclosure that would make an interesting picture. I am one of the "minimalists" of sorts and keep mine in kritter keepers with a potting soil/peat moss substrate. Here is a picture of my B. smithi in her enclosure. Substrate is relatively dry and I use a water bottle cap for a water dish. I "dote" over my T's, so the water dishes are filled/cleaned on a regular basis.

Botar

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There we go!

Glad I got you guys moving ;).
When my s'ling grows big enough, I have a KK I'm going to put him in, so i'm looking for setups for them. but i'd just like to see some setups in general because:
a)I need ideas since i'm not very imaginitve.
b)I need some ideas for good preburrows (both for young and older)
c)i want to see how the 'experts' set up their arachnohomes.
The Rookie

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I tend to provide enclosures with a 100% Peat Moss substrate of varying depth depending on species. a piece of cork bark for shelter, and a water bowl. I prefer to use the larger shallow bowls that look like rocks.
For Spiderlings under 3", I do not provide a hide, as I prefer to keep them within sight.

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this board. I have a Rosy hair and a stripped Knee T. When I was at the beach I picked up lots of black oster shells lying on the sand. I made hides for my T's using oster shells and hot glue gun. They love it. They began tunneling inside them down to the bottom of the pet pal setup. I used about 3.5 inches of Jungle Mix lizzard litter. For the water dish I use a coffee jar cap and sponge but I may change it to a clam shell and sponge. I will try to take a good picture.
Blessings, Al

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Best bet is to leave out the sponge. All they are are breeding grounds for bacteria and a place for crickets to crap. Whatever you use, will be much better off without the sponge. If you're worried about crickets drowning, just put a pebble or something else that's inert in the water dish. Your t will thank you for it.

Scott

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Setup ideas? Okay, here's a few for ya.

The first one is my female curlyhair. She's in a 5.5 gallon with about six inches of substrate. The burrow is a cave/ hide I put in that she burried.

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Here's my T. blondi. He's in a 20 gallon terrarium. This setup is fairly self explanatory. The plastic plant goes into the water dish (so crickets don't drown).

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Here's my male curly. VERY simple setup. he's in a 6" tall, 18" long, 12" wide petpal setup. Not much substrate, but he likes the hide. This is my simplest setup.

-Bryan

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have several ten gallon and one twenty long display tanks that I have set up with "foamariums" (foamariums may still be available on Ebay).....my foamarium pictures were too big to be displayed here.
I also have taken 2" square plastic raingutter downspouts and cut them to the inside length of a kritter keeper and drilled a 2" entrance/exit hole with a holesaw, substrate is added to the top of the "hide". the only problem with this setup is that molts, debris will accumulate in the hide and have to be fished out occasionaly.
Ed

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
Here's my T. blondi. He's in a 20 gallon terrarium. This setup is fairly self explanatory. The plastic plant goes into the water dish (so crickets don't drown).

-Bryan
Bryan, looks like you have the "warning" sign from ebay. check out the modified sign below.
Ed

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pic

im gona work on getting a pic of lizzys cage put up by tomarrow or so that way everyone can see how i do my cages.. for my goliaths.. ;P =D

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
Bryan, looks like you have the "warning" sign from ebay. check out the modified sign below.
Ed
Sure did :) I have friends look after my tarantulas if I go on extended vacations. They wanted me to put warnings on all the dangerous tarantulas, so I grabbed that off Ebay as soon as I saw it ;) I have more than one.

-Bryan

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Aha ......

Ahhh so you are the one that outbid us !!!!!

Damn You ..... ;P

Debby

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just wanted to share my typical terrestrial setup. This one is a 5.5 Gallon aquarium with cork bark and waterbowl. The substrate is Peat Moss.
Ralph

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Housing for everybody

OK, I know it's called "terrestrial setups" but I'm just going to post a quick example of all of my T housing. Nothing special, nothing straight out of "Good Spider Keeping", just barebones spider homes.

First, the whole bug shelf:

Attachments