terrarium liner question.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just bought some terrarium liner for my golden gecko cage and i bought a second one, because i liked the idea of just cleaning the mat and putting it back in instead of working with bedding. so, i bought a mat for a 29 gallon tank my uromastyx aegypticus is in. with heating supplies (a basking bulb and heat mat),
will that burn the mat? my cage will be between 90-100 degrees in one spot. or should i just go with the excavator clay substrate that just came out?

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
Looking for a few more specifics.

What brand? Is the liner specifically made for reptiles? What kind of reptiles (desert/tropical species)? What is it constructed from? 90-100 doesn't sound like it should be an issue, pending it's construction and what the mat was specifically designed for.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually just got the exact same thing for my brother's uromastyx, the 29 gallon liner. So far it seems fine, and it makes for really easy cleanup since he loves to drag his food everywhere!

We had used the excavator clay for a display for a uromastyx at the pet store I work at, and it's great! I think down the road if we move the uro into a bigger tank at home, I'll use the clay.

Depends on your own taste in the end I guess.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its not the same animal but for my snakes I just use paper towels honestly. Clean up is easy and there are tons of them. And its a little nicer looking than newspaper in my opinion and also its more absorbent. Never used the liners

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looking for a few more specifics.

What brand? Is the liner specifically made for reptiles? What kind of reptiles (desert/tropical species)? What is it constructed from? 90-100 doesn't sound like it should be an issue, pending it's construction and what the mat was specifically designed for.
zilla puts it out. i dont know if its just for reptiles, but it says that its good for everything except newts and salamanders. the box doesnt say what its made of, but it is biodegradable, and it kinda feels like felt (but it definitly isnt).

I actually just got the exact same thing for my brother's uromastyx, the 29 gallon liner. So far it seems fine, and it makes for really easy cleanup since he loves to drag his food everywhere!

We had used the excavator clay for a display for a uromastyx at the pet store I work at, and it's great! I think down the road if we move the uro into a bigger tank at home, I'll use the clay.

Depends on your own taste in the end I guess.
im accually only using the liner until i get enough money to buy the clay substrate. i think it'll take three or four bags to cover my 29gallon tank.
i really dont have to worry about getting a bigger tank yet, so it'll be worth it to get clay.
its not the same animal but for my snakes I just use paper towels honestly. Clean up is easy and there are tons of them. And its a little nicer looking than newspaper in my opinion and also its more absorbent. Never used the liners
i tried the paper towel idea once for my ball python. its a great idea, but it hid under the paper towels and my mom freaked out thinking it escaped. lol. i
just made a variation of that for my w/c brown anole. instead of paper towels i used blank printer paper. it works better then paper towels i think because crickets really cant hide under it.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't like the carpet liner for most clawed animals. They rip out toes when they get their nails caught. The iguana I rescued had that very thing happen to him.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As for the claw concern... with the uromastyx at least, the claws dont get stuck. We tried it out at the store when we got him and all the supplies, the box the liner was in had an open area to feel it, and we tested his claws on it... and now he's living on it quite happily, never gets stuck, and has a fine time chasing down crickets. It might depend on the brand... the one I got is the Zilla brand, so it should be fine.