Temporarily housing H. arizonensis together

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
I have cleaned and added new sand and clay to a 10-gallon tank. To do this, I had to relocate my H. arizonensis adult male while his substrate dries. He has been in a low-ceiling ceramic container with a sandy floor and a hide, covered with a screen top for three days and his 10-gallon enclosure is still not dry. Would it be risky to put him in another tank with my H. arizonensis adult female until his substrate is dry? She has just eaten and is quite fat. He has also eaten recently. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you are planning on breeding, then you definitly could. I personally don't know their mating habits, so take this with a grain of salt ;) If you don't plan on breeding, it's not worth it. They may fight and injure each other, which could be bad. The temp cage sounds great for him to stay in. Pics would help though.

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
If you are planning on breeding, then you definitly could. I personally don't know their mating habits, so take this with a grain of salt ;) If you don't plan on breeding, it's not worth it. They may fight and injure each other, which could be bad. The temp cage sounds great for him to stay in. Pics would help though.
Thank you. I've decided it's not worth the risk, even though they mated a month ago.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the substrate doesn't have to be completely dry before you reintroduce him. my rule is if the top 1" is dry you're good. In fact, never let all the substrate completely dry, they may like to access a slightly damp area. in the wild these are most active at 40%+ humidity, when it is dry out (15% or less) they tend to stay underground where it is more humid. I hope you watched my advanced desert scorpion care video on youtube!

mstalcup

Arachnopeon
the substrate doesn't have to be completely dry before you reintroduce him. my rule is if the top 1" is dry you're good. In fact, never let all the substrate completely dry, they may like to access a slightly damp area. in the wild these are most active at 40%+ humidity, when it is dry out (15% or less) they tend to stay underground where it is more humid. I hope you watched my advanced desert scorpion care video on youtube!
I have watched your video (if your channel is "Arizona Beast Bugs"). I even asked a question in the comments and you(?) gave me a helpful answer. Assuming that is your video, it was my starting point when I got my two H. arizonensis. Since then (over a year ago) my female has given birth to 28 scorplings. It's been fun. I have a false bottom in all of their enclosures to provide a humidity gradient. Thanks for your help.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mstalcup, yeah, that was me. youtube disabled my earnings a long time ago for "inappropriate content" infractions. So I started a new channel called "From The Desert" and I will be transitioning all my nonviolent videos over, as well as making new videos. All my feeding videos or "violent/inappropriate" videos will be going over to my other new channel. Watch me get stung here:
and subscribe! K take care and keep it creepy lol