Temperature/heating question

mr_x_plosion

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

My Smithi has always spent a lot of time on the heat mat on the back wall of her tank, since she molted 3-4 days ago she has been on it ever more, pressed right against it, is she too cold? Do i need to add more heat some how?

Her tank is 18x12x10" and the heat mat is 4x7" across the back, my room temp is generally about 20-21 C.

I was thinking I could buy another heat mat and put it under one half of the tank, I know spiders may burrow if they are too hot but I have never seen her dig down and I would keep a very close eye on her.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
About 5 years back I used a heat mat on one of my smithis, she would do the same thing. They will bask in heat, I don't think you need another pad though. I used a lamp once too suspended above the tank, every morning when I turned it on she would crawl out of the burrow and bask till she got to warm then she would retreat again. I don't think she is to cold your temps seem about right.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ditto talken's comments. She's found the heat. She knows how to use it. Let her be - you don't want to cook her inadvertantly.