Tegu Care and General Information?

Klutch Thompson

Arachnopeon
Hello! This is my first thread on this website. I'm looking into getting a pet tegu for Christmas. I need to know a few things
1. How much do Tegus generally cost?
2. What are the correct temps and humidity?
3. Should I build a cage inside my house or outside?
4. What do I feed Tegus?
5. Where is a great place to get a Tegu?
6. Which species of Tegu is the best for a beginner?

Before anybody says "Google is your friend." I have been researching, but would like to ask for other opinions. Thanks!

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry man, but Google IS your friend, and if you've been researching for any amount of time, you wouldn't ask things like "should I build a cage inside my house or outside"- because that depends on your climate, and preference. Or "How much do Tegus generally cost?"-That is VERY easily found out with Google, and also, not a simple answer, as various species have drastically different price points. Here's a pretty good care sheet-http://www.tegutalk.com/threads/tegu-care-sheet.7704/

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hello! This is my first thread on this website. I'm looking into getting a pet tegu for Christmas. I need to know a few things
1. How much do Tegus generally cost?
2. What are the correct temps and humidity?
3. Should I build a cage inside my house or outside?
4. What do I feed Tegus?
5. Where is a great place to get a Tegu?
6. Which species of Tegu is the best for a beginner?

Before anybody says "Google is your friend." I have been researching, but would like to ask for other opinions. Thanks!
A Tegu is a massive commitment. Become a member of a reptile forum or forums and do a search for Tegu. Read everything you can. Ask anything you're unsure of. Actual Tegu owners will give you advice.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I gotta agree, some of what you're asking there is extremely basic information that will come up in any caresheet if you've been researching. But to answer some of your other questions...mind, as a reptile enthusiast in general and not the actual owner of a tegu, so feel free to take with a grain of salt...

#1 - Price does depend on species. I'm not sure about blues, but Argentine B&W's and reds generally run anywhere from $200-$300 for juveniles.
#5 - It's best to buy any reptile directly from a private breeder. I recommend either browsing FaunaClassifieds or the classifieds section of a tegu-specific forum, but make sure to carefully research a person before buying from them.
#6 - The Argentine B&W are the most popular for beginners, but I hear reds also tend to be pretty similar in personality. You'll want to stay away from the Colombian/Golden tegu because they tend to have much more of an attitude.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Any reptile forums you can recommend? Preferably one that is somewhat active? Looking to branch out from Ts to reptiles & amphibs.
There are/was 2. RFUK is active but can be somewhat toxic. Although there are some extremely knowledgeable members on there. The other would be Captivebred forum. Unfortunately there's been a massive problem with it though and it's down at the moment and possibly forever.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are/was 2. RFUK is active but can be somewhat toxic. Although there are some extremely knowledgeable members on there. The other would be Captivebred forum. Unfortunately there's been a massive problem with it though and it's down at the moment and possibly forever.
Thank you