Tegenaria Domestica.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Very nice! Really like the blue sheen on the females. Cool find, thanks for sharing.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
They are very interesting for sure. This was from a huge group that was in the basement of a house a friend is renovating.
All living in really close proximity. That male was webbed up only about six inches away from a female.

I collected the three pictured. This was back in early March and the temps were still dropping into the teens at night and this house had no heat running because of the construction.
I found them anywhere from a few inches off the floor all the way to the ceiling.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
That is something I noticed about the "colony" in my home, for lack of a better term. I found 6 living all within a few inches from each other. A while back, I tried keeping some communally. It did not end well, they may tolerate being in close proximity but don't appear to be communal.

Last edited:

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
How do you have them set up?
One of the females and the male were co-habbed in a 32 oz deli cup. Male has since done his deed and departed this life.
Second female is in a five oz deli cup. Both set up with places to anchor their webbing and be able to build their webs and have a dark place to back up in.
They have been feeding on fff's and they can move along that sheet webbing and grab prey crazy fast.

Attachments

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
I wanted to do some more research before posting these to see if I can find anything about these spiders reproducing that maybe correspond with what I've seen.
I'm assuming nothing out of the ordinary,but really interesting. Both spiders in these pictures are mature males . I will eventually get a better pic of the one that's on the webbing with the egg sacks so you can see.

I couldn't find the female anywhere near the egg sacks.

Attachments

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
We love to see it 🥰🥰🥰 I started the hobby with these spiders 😊 they are lovingly called Tetchy in our house 😁

This vid may help, he has a part 2 aswell 😊

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
We love to see it 🥰🥰🥰 I started the hobby with these spiders 😊 they are lovingly called Tetchy in our house 😁

This vid may help, he has a part 2 aswell 😊
Update. The female I co habed with the male did produce a egg sacks. More than likely gravid before I housed her.

@Charliemum . That guy has a pretty good channel and backs his information from reputable sources. Everything from being able to identify this species and their life cycle.
Everything that I was seeing and some which was odd to me made perfect sense after diving in his videos and the links to some of the resources he uses.

I'll post some more pictures of the sac and a few others I managed to get over the weekend soon as I'm home.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Update. The female I co habed with the male did produce a egg sacks. More than likely gravid before I housed her.

@Charliemum . That guy has a pretty good channel and backs his information from reputable sources. Everything from being able to identify this species and their life cycle.
Everything that I was seeing and some which was odd to me made perfect sense after diving in his videos and the links to some of the resources he uses.

I'll post some more pictures of the sac and a few others I managed to get over the weekend soon as I'm home.
Yay baby's 🥰🥰🥰 it's np I love his channel his info is spot on and he makes me laugh too plus I love Tetchys so anything to help 😊 I have raised several myself and have also raised sacs mothers have had in my care although never actually paired them myself. My first girl was one of the big Tetchy, she hit 3inches dls once she was full grown I caught her as a sling in my kitchen, her name was Tetchy hence why they are all Tetchy in our house 😆 they hold a special place in my heart so just shout if you need me I am always happy to help 😉

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I can't resist after a trip down memory lane my girl Tetchy 20210508_061515.jpg
She was so pretty 😍
And what she did to a giant 6lt jar 20220116_074314.jpg
No one believes me when I say they can outweb any spood but I think this jar speaks for its self lol .

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Tiny thing. I came home from work and found the first of the females dead, and found this. Only took me about a week to post this.
The other female is doing great and eating small crickets with no problem. I'm not going to be letting these if the even do, hatch out anywhere near my tarantulas. The will go out in a storage shed way way from the house so they can do their spider stuff.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can't resist after a trip down memory lane my girl Tetchy View attachment 473021
She was so pretty 😍
And what she did to a giant 6lt jar View attachment 473022
No one believes me when I say they can outweb any spood but I think this jar speaks for its self lol .
funnel Webber ?
Wish they lived Longer i-used to catch similar ones here don’t know we’re they went .

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Tiny thing. I came home from work and found the first of the females dead, and found this. Only took me about a week to post this.
The other female is doing great and eating small crickets with no problem. I'm not going to be letting these if the even do, hatch out anywhere near my tarantulas. The will go out in a storage shed way way from the house so they can do their spider stuff.
Sorry for your loss 😔 and got everything crossed for those baby's 🤞❤

Common name funnel weaving grass spider speaks for itself
There not called that here , here they are known as house spiders . Most ppl here (even keepers) don't like them or ignore them but I love the genus 😊.

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
Common name funnel weaving grass spider speaks for itself
As with tarantulas, it's best to stick to scientific binomial names. Agelenopsis genus (aka "funnel weaving grass spiders") doesn't occur in Europe.
I can't resist after a trip down memory lane my girl Tetchy
I'm sure you know that, but to clarify for the passers by, that is not a Tegenaria species but one of the Eratigena atrica/duelica/saeva complex. Though they used to be in Tegenaria until 2013.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
As with tarantulas, it's best to stick to scientific binomial names. Agelenopsis genus (aka "funnel weaving grass spiders") doesn't occur in Europe.

I'm sure you know that, but to clarify for the passers by, that is not a Tegenaria species but one of the Eratigena atrica/duelica/saeva complex. Though they used to be in Tegenaria until 2013.
Thank you i forget sometimes others read these 😆
I was never sure what one she was tbh but when she was first IDed on here for me I was told she was a Tegenaria so in my head that's what she was , thank you for eventually properly IDing her genus for me 😊
She was a big girl a good 3inch dls if it helps tell sp? I had never seen one that big before Tetchy but I find them all the time in our garden now, we currently have a large girl living in our burner bin😊 . She owns it now, no one goes near except me, I even bought a new bin so she will never be shifted.
Whatever sp Tetchy was I loved her and very much enjoyed keeping her, they make great pets 😊

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
it's best to stick to scientific binomial names. Agelenopsis genus.
I am aware.

I use the scientific names and have been preaching exactly this for the majority of my many years on this forum.

This reply came while I was traveling and did not have sufficient time to double check the pictures posted.