Tarcan's picture thread!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Wow, Martin...that is a great idea. Looks like you cannibalized a microscope? A great canidate for photo stacking with the low/no DOF. Would love to see a blog on your photo exploits(hint, hint;))

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, Martin...that is a great idea. Looks like you cannibalized a microscope? A great canidate for photo stacking with the low/no DOF. Would love to see a blog on your photo exploits(hint, hint;))
he he, I just bought the objective seperatly on ebay, Mike (Nerri) also brought one for me to try out, but the working distance was way to short. The one on the picture is my new on, it is a "long working distance"... a whoping 10mm or so, maybe a little more, I did not measure yet. Mike's was 5.6 mm LOL

Yes, you have no choice to focus stack with these, that picture I posted is a stack of 3 and there is no DOF as you can see... normally, shots with these objectives will require over 30 shots to get any kind of decent DOF, hard to achieve handheld, but not impossible! But ideally you need an elaborate focussing rail to achieve good results, I am not equiped yet for that. And normally you are mostly stuck at taking pictures of dead bugs, something I am not so interested in.

I have been wanting to create a little site with my favourite pictures and some info on them, but I really have no time right now! Maybe eventually...

Martin

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Geez Martin, it didn't take long for you to take photography to the mad scientist level!

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those are all just... wow.

Sometimes, I wish I could do these things. Then I realize that sometimes, it's just best to let people like Tarcan who know what they're doing do them.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are all just... wow.

Sometimes, I wish I could do these things. Then I realize that sometimes, it's just best to let people like Tarcan who know what they're doing do them.
thank you Martin, but it only take a little practice, you should try!

Found a few pictures looking through old files from this summer, not sure why I overlooked these.

Dolichopodidae fly, whoever tried to shoot these know they are quite a challenge. These are no flash, natural light, which is rare for me! LOL

cannot wait for next summer.. .right now, it is full of snow here!:barf:

take care

Martin

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! I actually love the lightning in those pics! The colors are amazing...really good pics Martin!

Best wishes,
Pato

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin thank you so much for sharing. These threads are a great inspiration for some field trips that my daughter and I can enjoy this summer. She turns five this spring and she has a keen interest in our pet spiders and snakes.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thank you everyone

Jow, that is pretty cool, I cannot wait to take the boys hiking!

Martin

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thank you everyone

Jow, that is pretty cool, I cannot wait to take the boys hiking!

Martin
I know what you mean. My daughter and I did our first little camping trip this summer, only one night but she did well. She turns 5 this year and I think she will be ready to get a bit more rugged. My son turns 2 this summer so I am going to start him on the outdoor adventures early.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK, not field trip as this specimen was dead, but just wanted to keep my pictures together as it is some local fauna.

This is a wasp from Quebec, I think it is a Pompilidae, it looks just like one and it apparently also predates local spiders.

second one full head shot, a bit too dark for my taste, but gives a better overall look

take care

Martin

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

tighter crop of the first one to show eye detail, I was surprised by the nice patterns on the eyes

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Impressive wasp photo Martin, and yes the pattern on the eye is quite intriguing.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am back after a much too long winter, some shots from Germany taken last week

take care

Martin

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh yes, I've seen them, now that I know for sure what it is. It looks so much prettier up close on a macro then just a tiny red dot crawling around. :)