Tarantulas vs Scorpions as pets (and other inverts)

What invert makes the best pet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
:Dprobably be ripping legs off baby crickets a few good months until its big enough to take the entire cricket seller says its an inch buti wont be surprised if its smaller than that
Ah yeah, I caught mine in the wild and it was already grown. No clue how fast they grow. Nice choice in any case!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Ah yeah, I caught mine in the wild and it was already grown. No clue how fast they grow. Nice choice in any case!
yeah its wild caught i am native to california so worries about temps will be a non issue just gotta hope the id is correct

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
These are pretty cool little scorpions. The one I had was pretty active.

Centruroides sculpturatus are a little hot but if you can get a colony of them it'll be worth your effort. They're communal in wild and captivity and kind of fun to watch hunt at night.

I think getting stung by a captive scorpion would require pretty high levels of drunkenness or stupidity. They're not fast and agile like a lot of tarantulas. Honestly, you can probably dive right in with whatever species you find interesting without much regard for toxicity. Some might find this advice to be crazy, but I really don't see scorpions as being risky. OK, that's enough unsolicited advice from me for now 😂
A C. margaritatus (Central American Bark Scorpion), a close albeit less venomous cousin to the C. sculpturatus (Arizona Bark Scorpion) is one of the scorpions I would like to get somewhere down the line. Love the coloration on them. Even as a newbie to the hobby myself, I find it ill advised to suggest "super hots" (so scorpions like the Indian Red Scorpion, Fat Tails, and Deathstalkers) to a beginner hobbyist because even though it might well be the case that the risk of being stung by a scorpion is very low, the risk is still there and beginners are especially prone to husbandry mistakes which could lead to a potentially fatal sting. The absolute most venomous scorpion that would maybe be okay for a beginner or even intermediate keeper imo would probably be the C. sculpturatus you had mentioned. Anything more toxic than that should be off limits except for the most advanced of scorpion keepers. While sting reports from scorpions might be more rare than bite reports from OW T's, they're not unheard of, and there's a fair few of them here on Arachnoboards.

These are pretty cool little scorpions. The one I had was pretty active.

Centruroides sculpturatus are a little hot but if you can get a colony of them it'll be worth your effort. They're communal in wild and captivity and kind of fun to watch hunt at night.

I think getting stung by a captive scorpion would require pretty high levels of drunkenness or stupidity. They're not fast and agile like a lot of tarantulas. Honestly, you can probably dive right in with whatever species you find interesting without much regard for toxicity. Some might find this advice to be crazy, but I really don't see scorpions as being risky. OK, that's enough unsolicited advice from me for now 😂
This would be a prime example of why a new beginner shouldn't own any "super hots" w/ level 4/4 venom. This guy got tagged by his H. hottentotta after free handling it cause his mom broke his tongs. Very careless. He's lucky it was an H. hottentotta and not an H. tamulus, because if it was the latter he very likely wouldn't have been writing that bite report but instead probably would've been in the ER or even dead. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/hottentotta-hottentotta-sting.310278/

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
A C. margaritatus (Central American Bark Scorpion), a close albeit less venomous cousin to the C. sculpturatus (Arizona Bark Scorpion) is one of the scorpions I would like to get somewhere down the line. Love the coloration on them. Even as a newbie to the hobby myself, I find it ill advised to suggest "super hots" (so scorpions like the Indian Red Scorpion, Fat Tails, and Deathstalkers) to a beginner hobbyist because even though it might well be the case that the risk of being stung by a scorpion is very low, the risk is still there and beginners are especially prone to husbandry mistakes which could lead to a potentially fatal sting. The absolute most venomous scorpion that would maybe be okay for a beginner or even intermediate keeper imo would probably be the C. sculpturatus you had mentioned. Anything more toxic than that should be off limits except for the most advanced of scorpion keepers. While sting reports from scorpions might be more rare than bite reports from OW T's, they're not unheard of, and there's a fair few of them here on Arachnoboards.
Guess I feel differently. I also don't advise people to buy a water gun prior to buying a real handgun, but I suppose I expect adults to make wise decisions when they're dealing with something that's potentially dangerous (learn and practice proper procedure). Really though the risk of getting stung by a scorpion is low unless you're an idiot, and the risk of dying if you are stung is low as well. We're not talking about black mambas here. Or even Stromatopelma calceatum.

This would be a prime example of why a new beginner shouldn't own any "super hots" w/ level 4/4 venom. This guy got tagged by his H. hottentotta after free handling it cause his mom broke his tongs. Very careless. He's lucky it was an H. hottentotta and not an H. tamulus, because if it was the latter he very likely wouldn't have been writing that bite report but instead probably would've been in the ER or even dead. https://arachnoboards.com/threads/hottentotta-hottentotta-sting.310278/
He's an idiot. Also looks like he was 14 years old when this happened if the age in his profile is correct. Kids shouldn't own anything that's potentially life threatening.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I've had many different inverts in my life and pets but tarantulas are by far my favorite, it's kinda amazing how big the differences are between species.

They also look like eight legged teddy bears and aren't as scary looking compared to scorpions.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
He's an idiot. Also looks like he was 14 years old when this happened if the age in his profile is correct. Kids shouldn't own anything that's potentially life threatening.
Definitely agree w/ you on that one. Any scorpion (or other inverts such as the Six Eyed Sand Spider which I also mentioned briefly in this thread) with level 4/4 venom should not be bought by anyone under the age of 18 w/o adult parent/guardian permission, and should perhaps even be illegal to sell to minors like w/ cigarettes & alcohol. He probably shouldn't have even been owning a level 3/4 venom scorpion, even though it was unlikely to actually kill him.

I've had many different inverts in my life and pets but tarantulas are by far my favorite, it's kinda amazing how big the differences are between species.

They also look like eight legged teddy bears and aren't as scary looking compared to scorpions.
That's purely subjective. Some people are deathly afraid of spiders such as tarantulas but have no problems w/ scorpions & vice versa. I have no problems w/ either. Or centipedes/millipedes. Stinging insects that fly are my big fear w/ regards to insects & inverts. I think Asian Giant Hornets are TERRIFYING and if you've seen pictures you'd probably agree. You might think scorpions look scarier, but personally I think they look cooler (also subjective) even though there's a wider array of colors & patterns w/ tarantulas. Also, those "fluffy eight legged teddy bears" (the NW species anyways) can have a bad tendency to flick their highly irritating "fluff" (urticating setae) all around their terrarium and into your face if disturbed.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
That's purely subjective. Some people are deathly afraid of spiders such as tarantulas but have no problems w/ scorpions & vice versa. I have no problems w/ either. Or centipedes/millipedes. Stinging insects that fly are my big fear w/ regards to insects & inverts. I think Asian Giant Hornets are TERRIFYING and if you've seen pictures you'd probably be. You might think scorpions look scarier, but personally I think they look cooler (also subjective) even though there's a wider array of colors & patterns w/ tarantulas. Also, those "fluffy eight legged teddy bears" (the NW species anyways) can have a bad tendency to flick their highly irritating "fluff" (urticating setae) all around their terrarium and into your face if disturbed.
Im similar have a slight arachnophobia, I'm scared of scorpions, spiders and especially vinegroons, I've been like that my whole life.
I've never been scared of tarantulas tho and find them to be adorable.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Im similar have a slight arachnophobia, I'm scared of scorpions, spiders and especially vinegroons, I've been like that my whole life.
Afraid of true spiders (Araneomorphae) you mean? You can't really say "I'm afraid of spiders, but not tarantulas." since tarantulas ARE spiders. Yes. I know. Semantics. Lol.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm afraid of Camel Spiders (Solifugae) but I find them to be ugly as all hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm afraid of Camel Spiders (Solifugae) but I find them to be ugly as all hell.
Yeah they are pretty gnarly looking, I own a baby camel spider that I caught in my kitchen one night.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Ughhh. 10 votes for the 8 legged teddy bears so far and only 2 votes for the poison lobsters. C'mon y'all. Before I sit in a corner & start crying. At least let them get half as many votes! 😭 Lol

What is your favorite invert to keep as a pet and why? While I do not (yet) own any inverts if you had to ask me what my favorite invert is and what invert I think makes the best pet I'd have to go w/ scorpions. Now, if you had asked me this question a few years ago I definitely would have said tarantulas but I have since changed my mind on that for a few important reasons. Reason #1 - While tarantulas have a much wider variety of colors and patterns available (this fact can't be denied), I think the general look of a scorpion is WAY cooler and more unique than that of a tarantula. A tarantula might be a big hairy spider, but it is still just a spider at the end of the day. Nothin' special other than the size compared to other spiders. A scorpion on the other hand is like a little miniature armored tank with 2 claws and a stinger. Everything about them just screams "I'm a bada**" and I love it. Reason #2 - Scorpions can not climb glass. Not if it's reasonably clean anyways. Therefore, they are far and away less likely to escape an enclosure unless you're very careless or allow the sides of the terrarium to get excessively dirty (or if the terrarium you're keeping them in is not tall enough to prevent escape). Reason #3 - Scorpions as opposed to tarantulas (New World T's anyways) do not have urticating hairs. Therefore you don't have to worry about getting sprayed with nasty, itchy & sometimes even rather painful setae from a scorpion during feeding, cage maintenance, or handling (not that you should really handle any invert very often if at all) like you would w/ just about any NW T. Reason #4 - Sub adult and adult scorpions, from what I've found online anyways, seem to be far more readily available and far cheaper (on average) than sub adult and adult female tarantulas. Most tarantulas are sold as unsexed slings, which are generally harder to take care of than older specimens, can take a long time to reach adulthood (depending on species) and, if you end up getting a male, they'll likely live only a year or a few years at best after reaching maturity and passing shortly (relatively speaking) afterwards which bring me right to Reason #5 (and I could be wrong on this, so correct me if I am) I'm pretty sure there is not a great deal of difference in longevity between male & female scorpions the way there is with male & female tarantulas. Therefore, you don't have to go through the hassle of acquiring a sub adult or adult female scorpion and then paying an arm and a leg for it or risk playing the gender lottery w/ slings the way you would with tarantulas. Probably the biggest downfall w/ scorpions would be that, while even the most venomous of tarantulas is very unlikely to kill a healthy adult human being (and there have been no confirmed deaths, though a bite from certain OW species could still lead to a very expensive hospital visit and weeks, or sometimes even months, of health repercussions) there are species of scorpions that can straight up KILL you if you aren't careful and get stung (such as the Indian Red Scorpion, Fat Tail Scorpions, and Deathstalker Scorpions just to name a few). Thankfully though out of the 2000+ scorpion species world wide only about 30 or 40 have venom potent enough to kill a person and, if you take all necessary precautions, you are very unlikely to ever get tagged by any scorpion (far less likely than with many OW T's, in fact) though "hot" scorpions are still NOT beginner friendly. That's about the only major con I can think of though, and overall at this point I like scorpions far better than tarantulas or other inverts. I intend for a scorpion to be my first invert, and intend to collect more scorpions than tarantulas or other inverts taking all of this into consideration. Beings that I am posting this in the Tarantula Chat, and considering that T's are easily the most widely kept of all inverts, I fully expect to be on defense here and on the losing end of this poll but nevertheless my opinion is my opinion. As far as tarantulas vs centipedes go, I'd probably give a slight edge to tarantulas (though I wane back and forth on that) though I'd say it's about equal. Millipedes would be a bit lower than either. Out of all the named poll options, true spiders would definitely be my least favorite. I just don't really see the point in keeping any when tarantulas are just a bigger, better and oftentimes far longer living version of them (imo). As far as "Other" goes I pretty much have zero interest, at least at this point (whip scorpions, solifugids, insects, crustaceans, gastropods etc., etc.) except perhaps a Death Feigning Beetle as an accessory to the Desert Hairy I intend to get. So, with all of that being said, what inverts do you guys like the most?
Oh, and another reason that I think scorpions are a better pet than tarantulas (imo) - Scorpions, unlike tarantulas, as far as I'm aware do not molt as adults. This is a benefit because you'd only have to worry about bad molts/them getting stuck in molts as babies and juveniles whereas with tarantulas that is always a concern throughout the entire life of the tarantula.