Tarantulas vs Scorpions as pets (and other inverts)

What invert makes the best pet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
What is your favorite invert to keep as a pet and why? While I do not (yet) own any inverts if you had to ask me what my favorite invert is and what invert I think makes the best pet I'd have to go w/ scorpions. Now, if you had asked me this question a few years ago I definitely would have said tarantulas but I have since changed my mind on that for a few important reasons. Reason #1 - While tarantulas have a much wider variety of colors and patterns available (this fact can't be denied), I think the general look of a scorpion is WAY cooler and more unique than that of a tarantula. A tarantula might be a big hairy spider, but it is still just a spider at the end of the day. Nothin' special other than the size compared to other spiders. A scorpion on the other hand is like a little miniature armored tank with 2 claws and a stinger. Everything about them just screams "I'm a bada**" and I love it. Reason #2 - Scorpions can not climb glass. Not if it's reasonably clean anyways. Therefore, they are far and away less likely to escape an enclosure unless you're very careless or allow the sides of the terrarium to get excessively dirty (or if the terrarium you're keeping them in is not tall enough to prevent escape). Reason #3 - Scorpions as opposed to tarantulas (New World T's anyways) do not have urticating hairs. Therefore you don't have to worry about getting sprayed with nasty, itchy & sometimes even rather painful setae from a scorpion during feeding, cage maintenance, or handling (not that you should really handle any invert very often if at all) like you would w/ just about any NW T. Reason #4 - Sub adult and adult scorpions, from what I've found online anyways, seem to be far more readily available and far cheaper (on average) than sub adult and adult female tarantulas. Most tarantulas are sold as unsexed slings, which are generally harder to take care of than older specimens, can take a long time to reach adulthood (depending on species) and, if you end up getting a male, they'll likely live only a year or a few years at best after reaching maturity and passing shortly (relatively speaking) afterwards which bring me right to Reason #5 (and I could be wrong on this, so correct me if I am) I'm pretty sure there is not a great deal of difference in longevity between male & female scorpions the way there is with male & female tarantulas. Therefore, you don't have to go through the hassle of acquiring a sub adult or adult female scorpion and then paying an arm and a leg for it or risk playing the gender lottery w/ slings the way you would with tarantulas. Probably the biggest downfall w/ scorpions would be that, while even the most venomous of tarantulas is very unlikely to kill a healthy adult human being (and there have been no confirmed deaths, though a bite from certain OW species could still lead to a very expensive hospital visit and weeks, or sometimes even months, of health repercussions) there are species of scorpions that can straight up KILL you if you aren't careful and get stung (such as the Indian Red Scorpion, Fat Tail Scorpions, and Deathstalker Scorpions just to name a few). Thankfully though out of the 2000+ scorpion species world wide only about 30 or 40 have venom potent enough to kill a person and, if you take all necessary precautions, you are very unlikely to ever get tagged by any scorpion (far less likely than with many OW T's, in fact) though "hot" scorpions are still NOT beginner friendly. That's about the only major con I can think of though, and overall at this point I like scorpions far better than tarantulas or other inverts. I intend for a scorpion to be my first invert, and intend to collect more scorpions than tarantulas or other inverts taking all of this into consideration. Beings that I am posting this in the Tarantula Chat, and considering that T's are easily the most widely kept of all inverts, I fully expect to be on defense here and on the losing end of this poll but nevertheless my opinion is my opinion. As far as tarantulas vs centipedes go, I'd probably give a slight edge to tarantulas (though I wane back and forth on that) though I'd say it's about equal. Millipedes would be a bit lower than either. Out of all the named poll options, true spiders would definitely be my least favorite. I just don't really see the point in keeping any when tarantulas are just a bigger, better and oftentimes far longer living version of them (imo). As far as "Other" goes I pretty much have zero interest, at least at this point (whip scorpions, solifugids, insects, crustaceans, gastropods etc., etc.) except perhaps a Death Feigning Beetle as an accessory to the Desert Hairy I intend to get. So, with all of that being said, what inverts do you guys like the most?

Last edited by a moderator:

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I used to own a bunch of scorpions. They're alright, just kind of boring I guess. Pictures and videos don't tell the whole story because you miss out on all the behavior, which is what I find most interesting. Appearances come second for me.

By the way, no way I'm reading that entire wall of text lol

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I used to own a bunch of scorpions. They're alright, just kind of boring I guess. Pictures and videos don't tell the whole story because you miss out on all the behavior, which is what I find most interesting. Appearances come second for me.

But it's my wall of text, and I am the king! 🫅

I've heard some say the scorpions behavior are more interesting & vice versa so it would appear opinions vary on that one. It probably depends largely on what species of scorpion, and what species of tarantula, I imagine.

The Spider House

Arachnolord
I did read all of it. Some well thought out considerations in defense of the armoured ugly ones ha ha.

I have never shown any interest whatsoever in scorpions, but have been keeping Tarantulas for over 30 years, currently the collection stands at approx 300 (not including egg sacs and slings from breeding).

I think you can guess by now where my vote will go to 🤣

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas for me. I had dabbled in scorpions briefly during my first couple of years. Once settled, I hardly saw anything from my P. imperator and the H. paucidens was also very rarely seen. Tarantulas, at least what I've been keeping so far, have the decency of sitting in plain sight so you can marvel at them.

Centipedes are big NO for me because of their erratic movements and way too legs to my liking. Trues don't really interest me because of much shorter lifespan and some are too fast or venomous.

To each their own, but I'll stick with my long-lived Pet Rocks that have no qualms of me gawking at them and are so much easier to work with.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas for me. I had dabbled in scorpions briefly during my first couple of years. Once settled, I hardly saw anything from my P. imperator and the H. paucidens was also very rarely seen. Tarantulas, at least what I've been keeping so far, have the decency of sitting in plain sight so you can marvel at them.

Centipedes are big NO for me because of their erratic movements and way too legs to my liking. Trues don't really interest me because of much shorter lifespan and some are too fast or venomous.

To each their own, but I'll stick with my long-lived Pet Rocks that have no qualms of me gawking at them and are so much easier to work with.
I think some scorpions tend to be more active and interesting than others, or so I've heard. I did hear the Asian Forest and Emperor Scorpions like to burrow away and hide in their hides rarely ever moving which I imagine could indeed get quite boring. Desert Hairy Scorpions like to burrow too but I hear they're actually quite active & interesting to watch and that's what I intend to get for my first scorpion. First tarantula will be an A. geniculata.

I like centipedes. Centipedes are cool. However, my fellow family members who I live with hate them, and the one guy on here told me they're notorious escape artists. Probably more so than most tarantulas (except perhaps a few OW T's) and definitely more so than scorpions who can't even climb glass if it's relatively clean. Also, a lot of them apparently have really painful bites. Especially the Asian Scolopendra. It's for these reasons that I probably won't get a centipede any time soon, if ever, rather unfortunately. I do hear the S. polymorpha are fairly decent for beginners though.

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
I voted millipedes (bumblebee millipedes)even though keeping them is like keeping a mound of dirt ha, though I've got ivory millipedes in the post maybe they will prove more interesting ha!

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
thanks i am getting a tiny Uroctonus mordax
Kinda neat. Interesting coloration. I'll have to put that on my list of scorpions I may want to potentially get in the future. Lol.

I voted millipedes (bumblebee millipedes)even though keeping them is like keeping a mound of dirt ha, though I've got ivory millipedes in the post maybe they will prove more interesting ha!
A millipede might be a good alternative to a centipede in my case since, as mentioned, my parents don't want me getting a centipede. Millipedes are vegetarian and fairly harmless. I think something like a Giant African Millipede would be pretty cool. They also kinda remind me of the Alaskan Bull Worm from SpongeBob a little bit. The general shape of it anyways. Not necessarily the coloration. Lol. I probably still like centipedes better, but millipedes ain't too bad.

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
A millipede might be a good alternative to a centipede in my case since, as mentioned, my parents don't want me getting a centipede. Millipedes are vegetarian and fairly harmless. I think something like a Giant African Millipede would be pretty cool. They also kinda remind me of the Alaskan Bull Worm from SpongeBob a little bit. The general shape of it anyways. Not necessarily the coloration. Lol. I probably still like centipedes better, but millipedes ain't too bad.
I've got little bumblebee millipedes although beautiful they are a tad sensitive and spend most of the time underground, I am getting ivories which are larger and apparently more surface active so probably a good choice

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Both spiders & scorpions are great (I'm obviously on the tarantula side of things, but respect all opinions and can't comment on millipedes as I don't keep any). I don't tend to enjoy the shorter lifespans of true spiders (I wonder if there are any exceptions??? Haven't read up on trues that much other than finding out what I needed to keep the species I had, so I wouldn't know if there are), and have no desire to keep centipedes any more as I've discovered I just don't like keeping them (nothing against them as creatures, just not that enjoyable to keep IMHO). I'm drifting further and further away from scorpions for similar reasons, I just find my scorpions to be quite boring... hiding all the time, very weak feeding responses... not a great combo. It's not like I value them any less than my T's, I give equal care to all creatures as one should & I do like keeping my scorpions unlike centipedes, but IMO tarantulas are WAY more interesting to observe & feed. So yeah, I can say with certainty that I won't be keeping any more scorpions than the ones I already have, whereas I'll hopefully be keeping T's for most of my life. Again, respect to all opinions though!

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Both spiders & scorpions are great (I'm obviously on the tarantula side of things, but respect all opinions and can't comment on millipedes as I don't keep any). I don't tend to enjoy the shorter lifespans of true spiders (I wonder if there are any exceptions??? Haven't read up on trues that much so I wouldn't know if there are), and have no desire to keep centipedes any more as I've discovered I just don't like them (nothing against them as creatures, just not that enjoyable to keep IMHO). I'm drifting further and further away from scorpions for similar reasons, I just find my scorpions to be quite boring... hiding all the time, very weak feeding responses... not a great combo. It's not like I value them any less than my T's, I give equal care to all creatures as one should & I do like my scorpions unlike centipedes, but IMO tarantulas are WAY more interesting to observe & feed. So yeah, I can say with certainty that I won't be keeping any more scorpions than the ones I already have, whereas I'll hopefully be keeping T's for the rest of my life. Again, respect to all opinions though!
There are some true spiders that live a fairly long time but they're few and far between. Most live only around 2 or 3 years at the most. Six Eyed Sand Spiders (genus Sicarius) are one of the if not perhaps the longest living of all true spiders living up to 15 years of age. They are also one of the if not perhaps the most venomous spider (even more so than the Brazilian Wandering Spider & Sydney Funnel Web) but bites and deaths from them are so incredibly rare you almost never hear about them. People do keep them as pets, but due to the extremely potent venom, they are absolutely 100% not for beginner keepers even though they can't climb glass much like scorpions. It simply isn't worth the risk.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
There are some true spiders that live a fairly long time but they're few and far between. Most live only around 2 or 3 years at the most. Six Eyed Sand Spiders (genus Sicarius) are one of the if not perhaps the longest living of all true spiders living up to 15 years of age. They are also one of the if not perhaps the most venomous spider (even more so than the Brazilian Wandering Spider & Sydney Funnel Web) but bites and deaths from them are so incredibly rare you almost never hear about them. People do keep them as pets, but due to the extremely potent venom, they are absolutely 100% not for beginner keepers even though they can't climb glass much like scorpions. It simply isn't worth the risk.
Huh... heard all about six-eyed sand spiders & their venom, never knew they lived they lived that long. Interesting.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Darn, tarantulas are already winning just a few hours in. C'mon guys, vote for the poison lobsters. I know this is Tarantula Chat, but I made a compelling case! 😂

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
thanks i am getting a tiny Uroctonus mordax
These are pretty cool little scorpions. The one I had was pretty active.

Centruroides sculpturatus are a little hot but if you can get a colony of them it'll be worth your effort. They're communal in wild and captivity and kind of fun to watch hunt at night.

I think getting stung by a captive scorpion would require pretty high levels of drunkenness or stupidity. They're not fast and agile like a lot of tarantulas. Honestly, you can probably dive right in with whatever species you find interesting without much regard for toxicity. Some might find this advice to be crazy, but I really don't see scorpions as being risky. OK, that's enough unsolicited advice from me for now 😂

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
These are pretty cool little scorpions. The one I had was pretty active.

Centruroides sculpturatus are a little hot but if you can get a colony of them it'll be worth your effort. They're communal in wild and captivity and kind of fun to watch hunt at night.

I think getting stung by a captive scorpion would require pretty high levels of drunkenness or stupidity. They're not fast and agile like a lot of tarantulas. Honestly, you can probably dive right in with whatever species you find interesting without much regard for toxicity. Some might find this advice to be crazy, but I really don't see scorpions as being risky. OK, that's enough unsolicited advice from me for now 😂
:Dprobably be ripping legs off baby crickets a few good months until its big enough to take the entire cricket seller says its an inch buti wont be surprised if its smaller than that