Tarantulas that attack water drops

Yung Cae$ar

Arachnopeon
This may sound strange for me to suggest B smithi,but every time i refill water dishes, she pounces on hers whens she feels the water vibrate in the dish, or i just hve a weird smithi.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My a hentzi doesn't attack the water but he has to come over and try to see what's going on when I fill his dish. Sometimes I simply can't fill it because he sprawls over it. A lot of times I can't do any maintenance in his enclosure because he has to come over and get into whatever I'm doing. Never aggressive, never pouncing, just sauntering over and literally sprawling over whatever thing I'm trying to mess with. It's like he's all, "this is MINE".
I laughed when I read this. My g.rosea adult female does the same thing!!! Whenever I'm trying to get to something she just walks and sits right on top of it. I can't even get her to move off of it either, because if I try to brush her back leg to get her to move, she just rotates to look at it but not moving from that spot. I feel like telling her to move her big booty but obviously that wouldn't do much good. :D

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I guess the options are pretty open on this one. I have kind of figured out what I'm gonna get. Psalmopoeus irminia. Though nobody has mentioned theirs exhibit this behavior in this thread, is the Psalmopoeus irminia a likely breed to chase water as it is listed as defensive/aggressive???
Edit: I know it varies by individual but is it something this breed as a whole would be likely to do or do I have a good chance of that with this breed??

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I guess the options are pretty open on this one. I have kind of figured out what I'm gonna get. Psalmopoeus irminia. Though nobody has mentioned theirs exhibit this behavior in this thread, is the Psalmopoeus irminia a likely breed to chase water as it is listed as defensive/aggressive???
Edit: I know it varies by individual but is it something this breed as a whole would be likely to do or do I have a good chance of that with this breed??
i have a mature male P. irminia now. before he grew up, he spent most of his time in a tube web in the corner near the top of the viv. it was very seldom that i'd see him. now that he's mature he spends most of his time wandering around looking for the ladies so he's quite visible. tends to hang out on the ground when resting. this is a fast spider and has been known to get grumpy at times when disturbed, so i act accordingly whenever we interact. for the most part though, he's fairly mellow. to answer the question at hand: i can normally fill the dish with him right there and i don't get much of a reaction. that's just this guy though!

FilliamHMuffman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wetting down the soil for my 1.25" T Blondi sling today and she repeatedly attacked the water stream. It was so cute! And yes, I'll be making a cricket run today. :)

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
both my B. vagans and my C. cyaneopubescens attack water streams. But i should note that this is only done when they're hungry. Pre/Post molt, they avoid the water as they would food items.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I laughed when I read this. My g.rosea adult female does the same thing!!! Whenever I'm trying to get to something she just walks and sits right on top of it. I can't even get her to move off of it either, because if I try to brush her back leg to get her to move, she just rotates to look at it but not moving from that spot. I feel like telling her to move her big booty but obviously that wouldn't do much good. :D
Without bothering to go back and read all the posts, i don't THINK there were aby arboreals mentioned as displaying this behavior. If getting a t that behaves this way is of particular importance to you i'd suggest a NW terrestrial. That seems to be the most prominent distinction of t's in this thread displaying this behavior. None of my arboreals seem to give a hoot about the water dish and are wary-to-skittish of water streams.

Garbonzo13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 5" L. Parahybana will attack water until it plunges into the dish then it all over. Also likes to rip tongs from my finger tips when I pull the dish out to clean, the first time that happened I pretty much crapped my pants.
My 3" N. chromatus also like to attack water drops and threat display when I open the cage.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. geniculata seems to be the worst offender when it comes to water dishes - she's in love with that darn thing. She sits by it, eats by it, always has one foot (or two) on it and heaven forbid if I need to fill it or clean it! {D She starts slapping the pliers or tongs with her legs and bares her fangs at me when I have to remove her water dish as if to say "Don't you even think about it!" - She's also struck at water droplets too, after she gets soaked she usually stops. My G. aureostriata has tapped a couple legs on her dish to "feel" the water, but that's all she does. It's actually kind of cute when she does it.

All of my other tarantulas could care less about their dishes; these two in particular are the most amusing to watch when it comes to watering time!

-Sarah

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well I had another new one today.
I gave my 2" L parahybana a cricket, which it took no problem.
As I was pouring ino the water dish, it picked up the dish and dragged it across to the other side of the tank. What was really impressive is that it didn't drop any water out of the dish.
She didn't let it go for about 10 mins, the whole time still with the cricket.

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want to get another tarantula and am looking for a species that is known for chasing and attacking water droplets. When I put a few drops in front of the rose hair it just runs away to the hide and a. seemani could care less. I have never been able to get either one to exhibit this behavior. Any recommendations on ones that will do this?? NW or OW doesn't matter but prefer NW and must be terrestrial.

(And yes I already know the reason the rose hair runs is because it hates water)
Again, interesting request.

I have a 2-3 inch A. geniculata and it attacks the water when I mist her cage. It will also attack bark and peat moss and anything that falls in front of her coconut house. Kind of cute :p

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes male that tries to attack any thing that hits the floor of it's tank, water drops, rocks, peatmoss, my finger. It behaves the same with pray items. It's kind of funny. His attacks are in slow motion. It takes a full second for it to rear up and strike.