Tarantulas in the news

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas are popular as pets but their bite can cause pain comparable with a bee sting or, in some species, death.

Got to luv that death factor. Okay so who died I didn't know abut?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would have liked to have gotten my hands on a few of those. I thinkits funny that they are in quarenteen. they will probably all die before the 30 days is up

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
maybe they mean depending on what species they bite ;P

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Malhavoc's
Tarantulas are popular as pets but their bite can cause pain comparable with a bee sting or, in some species, death.

Got to luv that death factor. Okay so who died I didn't know abut?
My cricket died yesterday from a tarantula bite :)

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
My cricket died yesterday from a tarantula bite
Gee....i had the same thing happen to me yesterday with T blondi and a 'house' gecko. Maybe they are dangerous :)

Jeff

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
All quite funny with the bit about the tarantulas may cause death with a bite and all that,but what happens to the tarantulas that survive the 30 day quarenteen? Will they be sold as pets in Mexico? Will they be released back into the wild? If they are released is there a suitable place to release them e.g without unbalanceing the natureal habbitat?
I hope that all the surviving tarantulas don´t come to sticky end as then, stoping this illegal import of tarantulas would seem like a wast of time and money except to detour other smugglers and create a bit of news! :?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG! 775 tarantulas! That's quite a large number. Situations like this could wipe out a species considering how long it takes for them to mature. I can't believe they've been quaranteed, they probly will all be dead. That's just sad.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, tarantulas doesn´t cause the death generally. In fact, it´s very difficult that that happened.
But i think if you have some problem of health, and a Poecilotheria sp. or a Stromatopelma sp. bite you, the death could arrive to you.

I know a case of death caused by a Stromatopelma calceatum, that bit a person in the neck.

Cheers,
Bothrops

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bothrops
Ok, tarantulas doesn´t cause the death generally. In fact, it´s very difficult that that happened.
But i think if you have some problem of health, and a Poecilotheria sp. or a Stromatopelma sp. bite you, the death could arrive to you.

I know a case of death caused by a Stromatopelma calceatum, that bit a person in the neck.

Cheers,
Bothrops
post proof

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The only species I know of that caused death are Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra(believe me, that one is painful as ****). I think I read something of a small girl and a Poecilotheria bite that didn't go so well.
Steve

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you'd like proof: Get a Heteroscodra about 2 1/2in. legspan, pet its chelicerae, and tell me you don't think your gonna die.

I mean, besides from your heart bursting out of your cheast, veins in head/head about to explode, blurred vision, light sensitivity(eyes), tell me you won't go to the hospital.

Also, if your up all night hallucinating blurs/clouds/giant Poecilotheria with a 2ft. legspan with Latrodectus like legs, tons of pain everywhere and burning joints/tremors don't get bit by Hysterocrates gigas and Haplopelma longipendum in a two day period...

Thats about it.
Steve

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Originally posted by Drosera123
The only species I know of that caused death are Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra(believe me, that one is painful as ****). I think I read something of a small girl and a Poecilotheria bite that didn't go so well.
Steve
As I have stated before, there has never been a single human fatality from a tarantula bite in the known medical literature. You can try any search combo you can think of, and you won't find one. Not to say it couldn't happen, or that it hasn't happened in some remote corner of the world and wasn't reported, but none have been documented.

W

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, not documented, but, do you think, that in India, there is no case of death, caused by Poecilotheria sp.?

Cheers,
Bothrops

P.D: Sorry for my bad english

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bothrops
Yes, not documented, but, do you think, that in India, there is no case of death, caused by Poecilotheria sp.?

Cheers,
Bothrops

P.D: Sorry for my bad english
Your english is just fine.

Unfortunantley I would have to say that I doubt that there has been. Perhaps from an extreme allergic and someone who was not so well anyway. But there have been many a bite report in the states and europe from the worst of the striatas and all sounded miserable but none died.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is a book, of which the title escapes me at the moment, that makes the claim of Stromatopelma caused fatalities. The book also scored a 1 on a scale of 10 for factual information in its ATS review.

Unfortunately, books like that are all that someone needs to cite that some species can cause death. Also, that data is lifted verbatim from some Reuters or AP file of which obviously no one is interested in fact checking for - that exact same line was used in the story last year about the ex-boyfriend mailing a T to a woman.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When a tarantula bite us, we can go to a hospital to receive medical attention. But if we cannot receive it?
Imagine the people in Asia or Africa, that lives in a countryside..

And I think if a person has, for example, heart problems, a Poecilotheria, a Stromatopelma, a Heteroscodra, or some of the consider "more dangerous" can cause the death.

Greetings,
Bothrops

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
I appreciate the link but I am not going to search near 300 articles. Can you post the one or more that state there was a death?

Thanks
Sorry for the confusion...I was backing up my earlier claim that there were no deaths.

W