Tarantulas I Don't Have But Want

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have compiled a list of tarantulas that I don't have, but would eventually like to.

Haplopelma Sp./ Aureopilosum http://swiftinverts.com/pix/Haureo2.jpg
Pterinochilus murinus Orange Form (Usambara)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Xenesthis immanis
Brachypelma boehmei
Psalmopoeus irminia

Avicularia minitrix
Brachypelma smithi

Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma ruhnaui
Grammostola pulchra

Lasiodora cristata (Maybe)
Avicularia Sp. as seen at: http://birdspiders.com/archive/3/2001.htm
Cyclosternum pentaloris As seen at:: http://birdspiders.com/archive/2/0047.htm

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
No Poecilotheria? Are you mad, man? :)
Beautiful Genus! However, I am one of those people who are rather pesimistic about this species' reputation for venom potency. Yeah, I know, I have a Psalmopoeus cambridgei and want a Psalmopoeus irminia. And I have heard the similarities drawn between the two genuses. But I haven't come across any bite reports for any Psalmopoeus, good or bad. So I am gonna wait for a while before any tarantuala of this genus gets placed on my wish list.

Big Dragonfly

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poecilotheria regalis
Avicularia versicolor
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Psalmopoeus irminus

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Beautiful Genus! However, I am one of those people who are rather pesimistic about this species' reputation for venom potency. Yeah, I know, I have a Psalmopoeus cambridgei and want a Psalmopoeus irminia. And I have heard the similarities drawn between the two genuses. But I haven't come across any bite reports for any Psalmopoeus, good or bad. So I am gonna wait for a while before any tarantuala of this genus gets placed on my wish list.
Big Dragonfly
I completely understand. Nice list...ah, um...
What! No Avicularia minatrix? Are you mad? :D

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
that undescribed Avic is absolutely gorgeous. always the one you cant have huh.:D anyway my next desires are an H.minax, something from Poecilotheria (probably regalis), and last but not least, an A. versicolor.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I completely understand. Nice list...ah, um...
What! No Avicularia minatrix? Are you mad? :D
Tarantulas That I Want
Avicularia Sp. as seen at: http://birdspiders.com/archive/3/2001.htm
Avicularia minitrix
Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma ruhnaui
Brachypelma smithi
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Cyclosternum pentaloris As seen at:: http://birdspiders.com/archive/2/0047.htm
Grammostola pulchra
Lasiodora cristata (Maybe)
Psalmopoeus irminia
Pterinochilus murinus Orange Form (Usambara)
Xenesthis immanis

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, lets see..

A. Geniculata
B. ruhunai (however the heck you spell it)
C. cyaneopubescens
And of course, two of the impossibles..
Poecilotheria metallica, and Cyclosternum Pentaloris

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Hmmmmm...ok..

* c. cyaneopubescens
* b. emilia
* e.weijenberghi
* a. hentzi

Peace,
Gillian

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
No Poecilotheria? Are you mad, man? :)
LOL! I have to agree - I've only had mine for about a month and a half but I am hooked. I do fear the venom, but I have an Epipen handy in case of an allergic reaction and I respect what they can do and use appropriate caution when working with them. I have found that like any of the other tarantulas I have they have certain traits and behaviors that you get to "know" which makes the chances of a bite much less likely. All three of them just shed this week and it amazed me how much they grew - doubled their size with just ONE SHED. I saw a show once where these nut balls were in a row boat that was smaller by about 5 feet than the 23 foot white shark they were filming as it ate a seal RIGHT NEXT TO their boat. The shark actually was ramming their boat every now and then, rolling up and looking at them and snapping it's jaws at them. Now, that is taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion, but having a caged spider which is happily entrenched in it's hide and not interested in messing with you if you don't mess with it is a risk worth taking - especially with a spider as beautiful as the ornamentals are.

Gail

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not too much in the pet trade that I haven't already indulged in :eek: :
  • Avicularia minatrix
  • Avicularia purpurea
  • Phormictopus cancerides (the first T I ever had, need another one for nostalgia's sake)
Pure fantasy Ts not in the pet trade:
  • Aphonopelma mooreae (from West's site - like a Greenbottle blue with a more subdued ass and hopefully a more typically Aphonopelma personality)
  • Avicularia azuraklaasi
  • Cyclosternum pentalore (B.D. stirred something up with that post :D)
  • Nhandu cerradensis

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Hi all,
Hmmmmm...ok..

* c. cyaneopubescens
* b. emilia
* e.weijenberghi
* a. hentzi

Peace,
Gillian
Well, I was going to say something along the lines of why would you want an E. weijenberghi. That is because I had only seen the light form: I never knew there was a dark form: http://birdspiders.com/archive/1/0191.htm

That is a pretty spider!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
LOL! I have to agree - I've only had mine for about a month and a half but I am hooked. I do fear the venom, but I have an Epipen handy in case of an allergic reaction and I respect what they can do and use appropriate caution when working with them. I have found that like any of the other tarantulas I have they have certain traits and behaviors that you get to "know" which makes the chances of a bite much less likely. All three of them just shed this week and it amazed me how much they grew - doubled their size with just ONE SHED. I saw a show once where these nut balls were in a row boat that was smaller by about 5 feet than the 23 foot white shark they were filming as it ate a seal RIGHT NEXT TO their boat. The shark actually was ramming their boat every now and then, rolling up and looking at them and snapping it's jaws at them. Now, that is taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion, but having a caged spider which is happily entrenched in it's hide and not interested in messing with you if you don't mess with it is a risk worth taking - especially with a spider as beautiful as the ornamentals are.

Gail
I have a couple of comments/questions for you Gail:

1. Does insurance cover an Epipen? How much does one cost? Do you have to take any tests to get one prescribed, or can you just ask your doctor to prescribe you one?

2. I want to get an Epipen, as a safeguard, in case I do turn out to be alergic to a T bite. However, if a Pokie was to bite you, and it did have a particularly strong toxicity, then I'm not so sure that the Epipen would be of any help. Because venom can affect blood cells or nerve cells. I'm pretty sure that this stuff affects nerve cells. For that, you need antivenom. If your body just didn't like the venom, even thought it wasn't too toxic, that would be an alergic reaction. And for that, an epipen would be valuable.

3. Because it is typically in a cage, the bites are few and far inbetween. But never the less, you do see a new bite report every now and then.

Big Dragonfly

PS. How is everyone making such cool custom avatars?

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would want...

A good extensive Avicularia collection (I only have an A. avic.)
Cyclosternum sp. -Cobalt Redrump
T. apophysis
C. thorelli
any Ceratogyrus
X. immanis
P. rufilata

And I am sure many many more.

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
I agree with John La Riz, you've got to be crazy not to have a "poke" or two! LOL!

My pick would be: P. metallica. Yes, it will be coming to a dealer near you!

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer

1. Does insurance cover an Epipen? How much does one cost? Do you have to take any tests to get one prescribed, or can you just ask your doctor to prescribe you one?

Yes, if you have prescription coverage. I simply called my doctor, told him that I keep venomus spiders and he called in the prescription for me. Because there are no "generics" I had to pay my insurance deductible for a name brand drug which was $15 - I think it's up to $25 now but the pens are good for a couple of years before you need to replace them (shelf life). Without insurance they cost something around $90 each.

2. I want to get an Epipen, as a safeguard, in case I do turn out to be alergic to a T bite. However, if a Pokie was to bite you, and it did have a particularly strong toxicity, then I'm not so sure that the Epipen would be of any help. Because venom can affect blood cells or nerve cells. I'm pretty sure that this stuff affects nerve cells. For that, you need antivenom. If your body just didn't like the venom, even thought it wasn't too toxic, that would be an alergic reaction. And for that, an epipen would be valuable.

Yes, you are right there. The only time the Epipen would be called for is if you started to show the signs of anaphlatic (I know I spelled that wrong) shock - throat closing up, inability to breathe, etc. You definately would not want to use the pen just because you were getting muscle cramps or nausea from the bite as those are normal reactions from what I hear.

3. Because it is typically in a cage, the bites are few and far inbetween. But never the less, you do see a new bite report every now and then.

Big Dragonfly

The avatars are what you get when you support the site with a donation. You tell Scott what you want and it gets made for you. Of course you could make your own in Photoshop but where's the loyalty in that :D

Gail

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by zoobugs
I agree with John La Riz, you've got to be crazy not to have a "poke" or two! LOL!

My pick would be: P. metallica. Yes, it will be coming to a dealer near you!
P. metallica - I am saving up money for a couple of those even now - I WANT P. METALLICA!!

Gail

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Epipen's are covered by insurance *if* you've been formally diagnosed as having allergies that have or could potentially result in anaphylactic shock. A doctor will provide you with a prescription for one without being diagnosed with cause, e.g. my dad is a beekeeper so he has one even though he has no history of allergies. I'm sure that expressing concern about T bites to a doctor would be considered cause. Insurance probably would not help here, but they're only like $30* if it's something you're concerned about. Conversely, if it's a new doctor for you, you can always lie and say you have all kinds of allergies and pick up some covered prescriptions to claritin and flo-nase and send to me :D

*EDIT: just saw Gail's figure of $90 without insurance, good gawds, I had no idea. I think I paid $10 the last time I got one with insurance and assumed it couldn't be more than $30 without :eek:

The epipen has one purpose: to keep you breathing and your heart going by counteracting agents that are produced during anaphylactic shock which suppress both of those necessary bodily functions. It would have no effect on any other venom effects.

I think it's important to note that there isn't one documented case of any form of allergy to tarantula venom, so the odds are extremely slim. And if anyone is so "lucky" to have a full out allergic shock reaction, be sure to get your doctor to publish, he'll thank you when he realises he's the first one to document it ;)

Garth/Krucz is making them as part of a fund raiser for the site. It used to be on the announcements but if you PM Scott he can give you the details. Mine are homemade with Photoshop Deluxe.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

1 male and female of every haplopelma species,lol---Jeff