Tarantulas dying after molting.

PalWalken

Arachnopeon
Herpcult is decent too, but also pretty expensive. I went with some medium critter keepers for until they are bigger and then I'm going to get nice display enclosures.

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
Where do you all get your enclosures? I want to fix up my terrestrial guys.
A bunch of my medium sized enclosures are clear acrylic display/storage boxes (mostly from Ikea) with holes drilled or soldered in. I have a set of acrylic bathroom storage boxes that are approximately 4"x4"x4" that work perfectly for bigger slings, and those came with couple slightly larger containers as well. 4 small, and 2 medium enclosures costed me..$12?
If you don't want to spend $50+ on an enclosure, and you want display enclosures, try to get creative. You can definitely find something to use, just look up display or storage boxes made of acrylic (so you can place the ventilation yourself).
Exo terra also has some more terrestrial enclosures ("faunarium") with slightly yellow plastic, but the lower/shorter enclosures look like a really good shape to me. Even an appropriately shaped/sized tupperware/sterilite tub would be good if you just want to get the Ts into better sized houses while you shop around for a good display one.
As a note-avoid anything with mesh lids, or make sure to replace the mesh so the Ts claws don't get trapped in the mesh.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'd recommend critter keepers for most terrestrial species to be honest. They're cheap, come in a variety of sizes, look decent, and are easy to customize. If you need more ventilation, you can always melt some holes in the sides with a hot nail or soldering iron. They're also stackable. Exo Terra breeding boxes are also pretty nice. Some of them have a little side door on the lid so you don't have to disturb the tarantula too much to drop in some crickets.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Where do you all get your enclosures? I want to fix up my terrestrial guys.
Container store mostly. It's a brick-n-mortar store that's filled with household stuff and has a ton of options. Food containers, model cases, AMAC boxes, etc. Critter keepers are also a really good and readily available option; I have one but I don't like that the lid isn't clear so I don't even have it in circulation at the moment. Putting a bunch of sizes of what I use below but obviously your specimens will need the smaller ones for now.

A super easy/cheap option I use are deli cups. My roaches come in these containers, and I just threw spiders in there after I used up all the roaches. I prefer these over the 16oz deli cups a lot of people use because it allows me to give them more substrate. I think they're 20 or 24oz, they're inbetween the 16/32oz ones you see a lot.
20210404_010240.jpg

Here's a few of the nicer cages I use. I got the two left ones at the container store, the three in the middle are from Primal Cages, and the crappy one on the right is just some plastic tub from costco or something. The left ones are nice because they slide out, so I can just crack them and throw in a feeder or fill the water dish. The primal cages are a bit expensive, but they're good quality and they have a nice magnetic sliding lid system. Everything but the pink one are stackable.
20210404_010205.jpg 20210404_143849.jpg

One of my favorites from the container store are these shoe boxes. They have some ventilation to start, but I add more so that there's two full rows of holes. You have to do this for any of the containers you'd get that aren't meant for inverts. They're a good size for juvies or smaller/medium adults.
20210404_010020.jpg 20210404_005934.jpg

Here's a larger cage I got from DreamCo plastics. It works well enough, but it was really expensive and the lid warped within a few weeks. I also don't like how low they put the ventilation. Unfortunately options for bigger cages can be a bit limited if you want something that's a good display, which as you can see I try to keep all of mine - I like seeing my spiders, I don't want the milky plastics. If you don't care file boxes or larger totes from the container store are good choices.
20210404_010249.jpg

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
One of my favorites from the container store are these shoe boxes. They have some ventilation to start, but I add more so that there's two full rows of holes. You have to do this for any of the containers you'd get that aren't meant for inverts. They're a good size for juvies or smaller/medium adults.
I have never seen these there......but they look pretty good!! Going to have to try and find these! Is the lid a hinge opening or does the lid slide over on top of the bottom lip to rest on it all the way around? (If that makes sense, I’m having a moment and can’t think of the word to describe it lol)

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I have never seen these there......but they look pretty good!! Going to have to try and find these! Is the lid a hinge opening or does the lid slide over on top of the bottom lip to rest on it all the way around? (If that makes sense, I’m having a moment and can’t think of the word to describe it lol)
Oh yeah these things are great! Not surprised you haven't seen them, they're off in the closet aisle and they're the only container over there that's usable for inverts. It also seems like every single container store is organized completely different from one another, at least in the relative layout, maybe that's just the two I go to though. Go to where they have clothes hangers and those fabric organizers you'd hang in a closet. At my main store they're hidden on this little shelf on the bottom rack. They have a few different sizes, I'd recommend the "deep" one unless you have a specimen that has absolutely no interest in digging whatsoever. They also tend to be pretty low in stock, so if you find a bunch I'd snag a few while you're at it. I think they're like $15 but I can't recall.

That's one thing to note OP: don't bother trying to get anything from the container store website. They're online stock doesn't match what they have in store, and I've heard things take forever to ship - maybe that was just because of the pandemic though.

The lid pops off completely, so you have full access which is nice. I will say they fit pretty snug, so most of the time I open them the spider skitters around. Then again the specimens I have in these are all a bit high strung so that might not be the case if you have a mellow T in there.

20210404_151930_HDR.jpg
20210404_152007_HDR.jpg

Bonus pic of the bugger that absolutely refused to let me refill the water dish while I was in here. Genics really do think absolutely everything is food.
20210404_152049.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh yeah these things are great! Not surprised you haven't seen them, they're off in the closet aisle and they're the only container over there that's usable for inverts. It also seems like every single container store is organized completely different from one another, at least in the relative layout, maybe that's just the two I go to though. Go to where they have clothes hangers and those fabric organizers you'd hang in a closet. At my main store they're hidden on this little shelf on the bottom rack. They have a few different sizes, I'd recommend the "deep" one unless you have a specimen that has absolutely no interest in digging whatsoever. They also tend to be pretty low in stock, so if you find a bunch I'd snag a few while you're at it. I think they're like $15 but I can't recall.

That's one thing to note OP: don't bother trying to get anything from the container store website. They're online stock doesn't match what they have in store, and I've heard things take forever to ship - maybe that was just because of the pandemic though.

The lid pops off completely, so you have full access which is nice. I will say they fit pretty snug, so most of the time I open them the spider skitters around. Then again the specimens I have in these are all a bit high strung so that might not be the case if you have a mellow T in there.

View attachment 380701
View attachment 380702

Bonus pic of the bugger that absolutely refused to let me refill the water dish while I was in here. Genics really do think absolutely everything is food.
View attachment 380703
Great, thank you very much!!! I may go check out the one 25min away tomorrow and see if they have any of these!! I don’t really need any right now 🤣 but look like they may be about the size I’m looking for as some dwarfs mature, judging by the hand for scale!! And my Psalmopoeus cambridgei Praxidike is like that, stinker would not let me get the water dish without jumping towards the tongs lol. Gotta love it though!!

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Horrible. Not Exotics Lair-horrible, but pretty often clueless...
I wouldn't go that far. I will say that her channel is not the channel to go to when looking for husbandry information. Quite frankly, she doesn't give any. So anyone who is seeking such information should realize this early on and move on to other channels. See my post above.

KenD

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't go that far. I will say that her channel is not the channel to go to when looking for husbandry information. Quite frankly, she doesn't give any. So anyone who is seeking such information should realize this early on and move on to other channels. See my post above.
Did you see her setting up "bioactive enclosures"? That was pretty much the definition of clueless...

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Did you see her setting up "bioactive enclosures"? That was pretty much the definition of clueless...
How is setting up bioactive enclosures clueless? Whether you agree the term "bioactive" is the right thing to call it, it's not clueless. Plenty of European keepers have been using live plants in their enclosures for years. It makes care a little more complicated but when it's done correctly there's nothing wrong with it - regardless of however many people on this board think it's useless.

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
This is a horrible place to get your information on how to keep tarantulas from, thhey hhave a lot of bad practices, and for me is cringeworthy!!! To be frank you should ignore what they do and how they keep them and what they say and only watch for entertainment purposes. I long suspect those two have 'unexplained' deaths like you do, they are in some respects pretty damn terrible keepers especially the Exotixs guy, and are only in the hobby for clickbait views. If you want info on husbandry and how to keep them or set them up, all you can ever need to know is all here on AB. Utilize this forum you are on, it will save your animals lives! The search function can be used to find out just about anything you need to know.

Im not sure that with your unexplained deaths that you can completely claim that they are all perfectly healthy.

about the enclsoures, I cant link ads into threads its against the site rules, but the C. cyaneopubescens container I got off of Amazon called Mdesigns. I will send you a PM with the link to the product. Im not sure if you are in the US or what country you are in. There are so many options to use plastic storage containers for terrestrials. the enclosures you are using should really only be used for arboreals.
Am I the only person who's new to the hobby and watches these YouTube channels to learn what not to do? 😂

KenD

Arachnosquire
How is setting up bioactive enclosures clueless? Whether you agree the term "bioactive" is the right thing to call it, it's not clueless. Plenty of European keepers have been using live plants in their enclosures for years. It makes care a little more complicated but when it's done correctly there's nothing wrong with it - regardless of however many people on this board think it's useless.
Because there was nothing bioactive about the "bioactive" enclosures she set up. Small enclosures with drainage layers, that's it. No plants, no springtails, no nothing. I have nothing against bioactive enclosures - a couple of my pokies are in planted terraria (though I wouldn't call them proper bioactive enclosures).

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Because there was nothing bioactive about the "bioactive" enclosures she set up. Small enclosures with drainage layers, that's it. No plants, no springtails, no nothing. I have nothing against bioactive enclosures - a couple of my pokies are in planted terraria (though I wouldn't call them proper bioactive enclosures).
Oh, yeah that's dumb. Hence why we stated she's not a good source for husbandry.

ELFinVegas

Arachnopeon
Hey Pal,
I'm also relatively new to the hobby and, though I've used AB for research for a long time, I just created an account.

I spend at least a few weeks researching before buying each new T, looking for both husbandry articles and watching YouTube (of the keepers I've seen on there thus far, I only trust Tom Moran @ Tom's Big Spiders and Dave's Little Beasties). I go through many different resources gathering the data and take written notes for each species (that's just what works for me). This helps me ensure I prepare proper introductory enclosures, use appropriate substrate and foliage, know their basic requirements for food and moisture/humidity, and usual behavioral characteristics (though each T can vary from average). They have their own unique personality quirks, but basic needs are consistent. For example, half-inch slings have very different needs from 2 inch juveniles, just like the more apparent differences between terrestrial, arboreal, and fossorial species, etc. But I also take notes on how their needs may change as they grow so I'm prepared.

I've found if I order online, sometimes the Ts that arrive are not always the advertised size. I now keep a few extra terrarium setups so I can quickly make a change if needing when unboxing.

Personally, I don't want to spend the money to buy their permanent terrarium until they are large juveniles at least. I highly recommend you buy some various size deli cups, dram bottles, or sterilite containers (or other latching storage box) and invest in a soldiering iron to properly ventilate ($10 on amazon). It's really important to make sure you have approriately sized holes - if their carapace can fit in the hole, they can escape. I've also got a few Zilla Micro enclosures for my arboreals. Antipating their growth and future rehousings, I bought bulk coco fiber (I add top soil, vermiculite, moss, and mix as needed), cork bark, fake foliage, etc.

Lastly, not only is the research for the spider's care important, but you need to look out for your own safety (and other people or animals you may house). For myself, I had to ensure I was capable of dealing with the T's speed, general temperament, venomous qualities, level of urticating hairs, etc. Though I don't handle my spiders, I don't think you can over-prepare when it comes to safety - your own or the tarantula.

I think that you're even here asking means that you care. Like the much more experienced keepers here have mentioned, each spider has unique traits and needs to be met. I would just make sure you research each T and apply what you learn from those who've been in the hobby a long time.

Best of luck,
Erin

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Look up tattoo ink cups on Amazon. I use these for super small slings. For arboreal you can glue them to the side. For terrestrial you can push them down into the substrate. Going by your enclosure I’d think even a small bottle cap would work. The T needs to be able to get its head in to drink so make sure it’s big enough.

Tom’s point about arachnoboards is that it can be hostile to new keepers. Which he doesn’t agree with and tries to help every new keeper that comes to him, kindly. I honestly can say he does have a point and this thread proves it. But I love it here lol

Edit…actually I read more and this thread is full of information given pretty kindly and in depth. I’ll retract my previous statement ;)

Last edited:

Motherofspiders112707

Arachnopeon
By what I read on first page of this thread it seems quite likely you are killing them all. Fix your husbandry.

Misting by itself is not wrong, but one doesn't need a rainforest to kill a T easily with too much misting. I don't mist my own Ts, but I do add water drop-wise to their webbing. And even when I do that, they are not always going to drinking. Knowing when a T is thirsty, provided it isn't visibly dehydrated, is purely a guess.

BTW, the T that seems to be a GBB in an AMAC...The box is TOO DAMN SMALL and the WRONG CONFIGURATION. Geez house your damn animals in an appropriate setup for christ sake.

You know these animals don't have a choice in how they are kept, their LIVES are dictated by what YOU do, by HOW MUCH YOU RESEARCH ETC. DO THE RIGHT THING, and REHOUSE THAT T. Or give up those animals. Looking at that poor T subjected to substandard conditions is really disgusting. Hopefully you'll improve, otherwise the sooner they die the better off those animals are.

YouTube is nothing but STUPIDTUBE

We've seen plenty of lightly misted Ts die due to light misting. Such a subjective term.
I know this post is old as hell but the fact that there was only ONE terrestrial enclosure disturbed me. The size of the GBB as well in such a small enclosure is just....wow.