Tarantulas by Plane :)

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To all who suggested carrying spider through w/o declaration - no thanks, I want to get my citizenship!

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I flew home from Denver this past winter and carried them on in my carry on. I did check with the airline and was told that as long as they were in an escape proof container and not considered to be endangered it was O.K. The Ts were in vials with the lids banded down and wrapped in damp paper towels as if for shipping, TSA searched my bags as a random search and didn't even ask what they were although they did look and I didn't have any trouble. I think that it varies from carrier to carrier and you should just ask.
Good Luck,
---Jen

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess there are always some people who might worry that there could be a similar scenario as in the film 'Snakes On a Plane'! It could easily influence the making of another film called 'Tarantulas On a Plane' with or without Samuel L. Jackson.

Seriously though, as the tarantulas will likely be sealed within one container which would then be placed inside another container inside luggage, I just hope that there will be enough air for the duration of the flight. I realise that invertabrates don’t need as much air as humans do but still, it might be some concern. I don’t know how they could survive being shipped if they ever have to be transported by ship with the lengthy time involved.

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And here's my experience:

They do NOT allow Ts to be transported as carry on. They do NOT allow them to be packed in regular luggage. If you chose to do so, and if you get caught, you will have charges filed against you, the Ts will be consficated, and God only knows what else. Why risk it?
The person who wrote the thread about her experience with having T's packed and in a shipping box in her luggage is the ATS Associate Editor.
Her husband is a vetrinarian and has been keeping T's for a long time.
I don't think she would write a post about how to properly have a T in your luggage with out some research.

I do think it does change from airline carrier to airline carrier.
Perhaps the person who was caught with the T, did it like I did.. hiding it on their person. Now that I know the proper way to do it, I won't ever do what I did again.
I think you need to check with the airlines before you purchase a ticket, and check again and get that person's extension and name. And ensure that you can have access to printed copy of their policy.
Doing your home work before you do something, and having all your ducks in a row will bolster your case if you do have trouble.
T-chick

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no choice in the airline... There is only one flight to Ithaca, NY that doesn't charge some exorbitant price. And I can "re-purchase" my entire collection, p.metallica included, for the difference in tickets from that airline and others. So yeah. I will call them but if no go, I will just use UPS or some such.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The person who wrote the thread about her experience with having T's packed and in a shipping box in her luggage is the ATS Associate Editor.
Her husband is a vetrinarian and has been keeping T's for a long time.
I don't think she would write a post about how to properly have a T in your luggage with out some research.
Is that an article somewhere? I haven't seen it and would be interested in reading what she says about it. When I had to bring my Ts back from Alaska, I spent several days doing a back and forth with several different airlines. It was very frustrating mostly because you get different answers depending on who you talk to. What I wrote was pretty much what I was told by United, Continental and Alaskan: Individual packages in a wood crate with airholes, veterinarian certificate of health for each T, and it'll cost an arm and a leg depending on the weight of the crate.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Each spider must have it's own certificate of health, approved by a vet. And it will cost $300 to ship the crate.
Are there actually Vets that can do that? I highly doubt that there is a Vet in the country that would know a healthy T if they saw one LOL.

Geez what silly rules we have LOL

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are there actually Vets that can do that? I highly doubt that there is a Vet in the country that would know a healthy T if they saw one LOL.

I've never been able to find one, but it didn't make a lick of difference to the airline people. Their rules state that everything has to have a current certificate of health or they won't transport it. That's what they told me, and not all the common sense in the world would get them to change their minds! :rolleyes:

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

More or less applies to mammals..making sure they have all their shots and everything. As far as inverts go if it's not a pest species or a restricted species, it should be no problem for them to quickly sign off on a certificate of health for ya.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I would rather do that than trust UPS with my p.metallica when I move.
honestly...out of all the T's shipped via UPS that are packed properly, how many really die? I don't see where this could possibly be worth the hassle...and potential legal issues.