Tarantulas and breeding...

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wondering...I haven't seen any posts asking about this....

but can u cross breed T's?

if YES, what are the arguments against it, and for it

if NO, why not(unless they just wont do it)

if you can, has anyone attempted domesticating T's? U get what I mean, take a g.rosea and breed it with a bright/beautiful/very colorful aggressive, or defensive breed and try to make a docile, killer looking hybrid?

Not that i have T's of different species lined up waiting to mate, just wondering why i haven't seen/heard of this...

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Opening the proverbial can of worms.:eek:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't go there - yet....

To save you a lot of time - I asked the same question.

Mr. Internet replied w/this:

This topic has been covered numerous times before:

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnob...=&threadid=9128
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnob...=&threadid=8772
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnob...=&threadid=4987

this will get you started on people's opinions around here... if you all want to keep the thread going, please do so without starting another flame war.... thanks!

I'd read these threads, then you'll probably wish you'd never asked this question.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well none of the links you gave abstract seem to work?

But yeah, I know this is a touchy subject with many people. From what I gather from reading (never from experience, i have NO experince of breeding what so ever) It is possible to cross breed but this is looked down upon by hobbyists.

I guess I would try it myself out of interest one day - as long as the hybrids do not end up on the market or (even worse) in the wild - though there isnt much chance of that in the uk :p

I think most peoples problem with this is that the tarantula species still have conflicting scientific names and problems with ID without causing more chaos with hybrids emerging on the markets?

Stu.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool thanks abstract...yeah i figured it would be a very touchy subject...off to read some threads for me...thanks for the links abstract... :D

[addition] yep that was what i thought it would be...I don't know genetics nor do I breed T's (maybe someday to help the hobby, pure blood only) but I am feeling against it as well...

Though I would have to say it would be neat to see the "family tree" of some species and subspecies...

now forget cross-breading...what about domesticating...pick the cream of the crop for their docile attitude...say a real aggressive species...u find that one in the "litter" that is cool and likes to hug and cuddle...then find a similar mate (u know huggable and cuddley) and breed them, then take the dociles out of their offspring....then in a few thousand years :D have a purely docile breed where u only occasionally get an aggressive one instead of vice-versa (oy that would be a lot of work)... wouldn't that be considered domestication....

neway as for the Cross-breeding/hybrids that discussion doesn't need to go on, abstract gave me the links i was searching for, so now on to DOMESTICATION!!! :D

Last edited: