Tarantula zit?

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My husband has a Avicularia versicolor. It has a zit looking bump located on the sternum on the upper left side. I have no idea what it could be. Any thoughts? Ill try to post a picture as soon as i can get it out of the web.

Much appreciation.
Taylor

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My husband has a Avicularia versicolor. It has a zit looking bump located on the sternum on the upper left side. I have no idea what it could be. Any thoughts? Ill try to post a picture as soon as i can get it out of the web.

Much appreciation.
Taylor
Heh, that would be the very first time I've heard someone refer to it as the 'sternum'. The ventral side of the prosoma or the cephalothorax.

My guess would be a piece of substrate or a stuck piece from a molt. What color is it?

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If it's an actual lump IN the tarantula and not a piece of substrate like the other person said, my guess is some sort of internal parasite? That's what one usually sees suggested in the frequent T. blondi threads.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he he he i just wanted to make sure peolpe knew what i was talking about. When i talk to my husband about spiders he just zones out before getting lost.
Its still in the blue stage. It eats, hunts and acts perfectily normal. I just cant figure out what it is.
Its a new growth when he molted it wasnt there, than a few weeks later something white showed up, than it slowly grew, now it has turned into T. zit.
Taylor

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he he he i just wanted to make sure peolpe knew what i was talking about. When i talk to my husband about spiders he just zones out before getting lost.
Its still in the blue stage. It eats, hunts and acts perfectily normal. I just cant figure out what it is.
Its a new growth when he molted it wasnt there, than a few weeks later something white showed up, than it slowly grew, now it has turned into T. zit.
Taylor
If it's white, it might be some poo. Get a tissue corner or fine paintbrush wet and gently stroke at it if you can.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah. there poo is white. Its funny when the Avicularia shoots it someone.

It has a bump and than white bump on top ot it, its not poo, and its not substrate. It looks like a zit does on a human. It is connected and it is growing.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
unfortunately

unfortunately, i read on another forum (i don't think it was this one), a guy had shown a pic of his spider that had a "zit", it turned out it could have been cancer because she died after a while, the "zit" got bigger,hope for the best and love her everyday

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. This will be the second versi we lost this year.
Thanks for all your info.
Taylor

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tarantulas can get cancer?....i think i should be more surprised...

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i found the forum with the thread, i can pass it on to you if you wish, it turned out to be a blister like forme on his abdomen, nobody knew waht it was (one guess was a tumor or cancer...), either way it died, but the pic looked more like a blister than a zit, so good luck

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had Ts with hernias before. Those are nice. Looks more like a blister than a zit though. I just had a geniculata molt that had a hernia. I was looking at it from the inside. Looked like a knot in a tree. I'm three for three on survivors with this.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Will need a picture to even venture a guess. Think you guys are gettin a little ahead of yourselves maybe?;)

-Sean

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heh, that would be the very first time I've heard someone refer to it as the 'sternum'. The ventral side of the prosoma or the cephalothorax.

My guess would be a piece of substrate or a stuck piece from a molt. What color is it?
The sternum is the central "plate" on the ventral of cephalothorax