Tarantula Webbing?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As this is something that I have yet found to have been studied or explored, I have no way of knowing concretely the exact specifications for how much I would need; this is why I am trying to collect as much as I can in order to quantify what would be needed for production (whether that be production of a double ply thread up to something more like conventional warp thread) on a small scale. Ideally, were this to be a viable option, I would invest in a space that would make it possible for me to own Ts and indeed produce silk naturally; I have no desire to go about sedating Ts and collecting the silk this way, as is currently being done with orb weavers.
As for the cleanliness of the webbing, this again goes back to the lack of experiments having been done already along this subject matter. As with cotton and it's copious amount of seeds that must be hand removed from deep in the blossom or the lanolin coating found on fleece, I am looking to explore various cleaning methods, but I must first have webbing in order to explore this accurately.
Not saying you shouldn’t explore— however there are a couple of companies already exploring this, been doing it for at least 3-5 yr.

There are many issues with using arachnid silk.

Not saying you shouldn’t explore— however there are a couple of companies already exploring this, been doing it for at least 3-5 yr.

There are many issues with using arachnid silk.
Yes, but the majority of these companies are researching orb weavers; I am mainly interested in tarantula webbing.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I am having visons of a large M. balfouri commune filled with manikins. LOL.

On another note, people seem concerned with destroying the webbing, and my solution that would be to use the webbing left in an old enclosure after a rehousing us done.

It sounds like you are olay with the idea of receiving the webbing in small amounts, so i would think that when people rehouse heavy webbing sp. like M. balfouri, N. incei, P. murinous, etc. they could toss the old webbing into an envelope and send it to you if they are willing to participate.

Last edited by a moderator: