Tarantula to-do-List...

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My seemani, Scrunchie. Aptly named. She's sitting in a little cube with the lid off and held so it can't fall on her. She doesn't need the lid, it's there for a co-worker who won't come in the office if one is "out". And she (Scrunchie) goes in the cube with only a little persuasion, then just sits down.

Marga

As many seemed offended by the photo of a T in an OPEN cube , I have deleted it.

Last edited:

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
That T does not look like a happy T. You should consider leaving it in its home.

Raine

Arachnopeon
What does scrunching up mean? I do agree she doesn't look pleased to be in that little cube with not even any substrate. Especially going to work in an office and being moved from home to there...does not look like a happy T. indeed.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
What does scrunching up mean? I do agree she doesn't look pleased to be in that little cube with not even any substrate. Especially going to work in an office and being moved from home to there...does not look like a happy T. indeed.
That is NOT her home. That is where she sat with me on my desk. Home, cube, doesn't matter she scrunches up like this. She has a nice big Kritter Keeper, dish, log, proper substrate. She eats, I've made sure of that. She moves around, but most of the time she scrunches.

She does NOT "go to work" in my office, she lives there. My office is climate controlled, whereas my home is not. I am the office manager, there are no pesticides sprayed here (I'm allergic to them). I'm not a noob...but thanks for your concern.

Marga

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Briarpatch... I know you did... :D

Marga

I'd just leave it in its "home" regardless of where that is; contstantly relocating it is just going to stress it out. IME (ended up with a hair less spider for 4 months that wouldnt eat.)

Raine

Arachnopeon
When I said 'home' I meant it's tank...instead of in the cube sitting on the desk, that's all. I didn't say you were a noob. I said she doesn't look happy in the little cube and probably would be happier in her home than in there. That's all...:)

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are such nice tarantulas. I think I need one to have a home in my home! MY to-do list. :)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
When I said 'home' I meant it's tank...instead of in the cube sitting on the desk, that's all. I didn't say you were a noob. I said she doesn't look happy in the little cube and probably would be happier in her home than in there. That's all...:)
Thanks Raine - but she really does sit just like that in her home as well. On her log, sits like that. In her log, sits like that, in the corner, sits like that. I don't take her out all the time, and won't, because it's stressful for me to have her out where she might get hurt.

She's named Scrunchie for a reason...

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Thanks Raine - but she really does sit just like that in her home as well. On her log, sits like that. In her log, sits like that, in the corner, sits like that. I don't take her out all the time, and won't, because it's stressful for me to have her out where she might get hurt.

She's named Scrunchie for a reason...

Marga
;)

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but I'm confused a bit.

I really do not see the point in taking Scrunchie out of her tank to put her in a cube on your desk? :?

Seems like it would just uneccessarilly stress her out. And it doesn't seem to serve any real purpose except your own amusment and pleasure.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't see the pic before you removed it, but is it sitting with its knees pulled up around its head(scrunched?) at all times?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
curiousme, it wasn't really in that much of a scrunch up scared position, but it wasn't really relaxed, it was kind of in between.

OP - I don't see why you took the picture down, you had to have known that posting that picture would get you some negative comments. It is unnecessary to have your tarantula sitting in an open cube, no substrate or anything for no reason. It also looked pretty large, what if it started molting in there near the end of your work day, then you would have had to bring it home in your vehicle while it was molting, or leave it in the box at work with no sub or anything while it finished and hardened up. There are many things that could go wrong with that situation, such as you not paying attention and her deciding to talk a little stroll. Not to mention that it is probably stressful for the T if it's constantly being taken out of its own environment and being placed somewhere strange where its away from its webbing and things it's familiar with. It may stay in that position in its enclosure, but at least then its in its own environment. I don't think its going to kill the tarantula or anything, but its just completely unnecessary to have a T sitting in an open cube on your desk. No one is trying to be rude or anything, it's just concern for the tarantula. No one wants you to learn the hard way.

Cass

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*****, it wasn't really in that much of a scrunch up scared position, but it wasn't really relaxed, it was kind of in between.

Gasp!! Don't give away my secret identity!:eek: :D curiousme will do just fine!;)

Last edited:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mark and Cass: Just a comment on one of the things you said. The OP mentioned that the tarantulas are all at the office with their homes, not at the house. If the tarantula showed signs of beginning a molt, I'm sure it would just be put nicely back in its regular terrarium. I'm sure your opinions will remain the same about the rest of what you said, but I just thought I would clear up that little point as she had mentioned it regarding someone else's response.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
I would rather not take a stance here as everything has already been said nicely, I just cant help but wonder, if the T's home is a critter keeper why would there be any need to place it in another receptacle when even the largest critter keeper would fit on an average office desk. If it is a matter of space I would be concerned that on a crowded desk no suitable for a critter keeper, the chance of knocking over a small container would be higher than usual.