Tarantula Substrate - Perfect Mix Potting Soil

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh ok! DUUUHHH! I should have seen that, I feel like an idiot now LOL.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you should add some substrate in there, They ReallY like to burrow. Hope they show up in good health....

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dislike potting soil for a reason different from what has been said here: if it dries out, it becomes hydrophobic. Then it is annoying stuff. And you try and moisten it again and the water beads up and runs down to where you don't particularly want it.

I'm a coco fiber man myself. Bed a beast or eco earth.

And it comes in a convenient brick.

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, Cobalt Owners... I read online that cobalts need mositure... is this correct? I changed the substrate from dirt sand to a peat most type deal. holds lots of moisture... I wanna get this right. Its gonna be moist in their tanks... please verify for me.

you should add some substrate in there, They ReallY like to burrow. Hope they show up in good health....
Ok... I have added substrate.. its not coco fibers... but then again.. i hit up all the pet stores and even called the pet stores withing 30 miles.. and nothing.. but they do care something very similar to cocofibers... its called forest floor substrate.. non toxic, safe to eat in other words, holds moisture, sold in bricks.

hope thats ok..

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow.. I underestemated the use of substrate... the pens look more professional... and I used the rest of the substrate on my fence lizards pen... he looks really cute hiding in the substrate... LOL :p

Last edited:

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I live in La Feria TX, deep South Texas... Near McAllen Texas... Much of the dirt in our area cakes easily too, but we have some spots, hard to find, but we have some spots where the dirt is mixed with a type of soil sand that is great and does not clump up as bad... Ill try that..

Ill go to the pet store / walmart too to see if I can find the coco fiber brick / peat moss, if not, ill use the soil sand found here on the ranch.
texascowboy, i'm actually from mission and dated a girl from santa rosa, so i know the area well! i'm not positive, but you might try giving Moreno's Pet & Feed in pharr a call. i've never been to Exotic Pet World‎ in mcallen, but check them out too. you could also try Petland on N 10th in mcallen, and if all else fails, there's always Petsmart...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ok, Cobalt Owners... I read online that cobalts need mositure... is this correct? I changed the substrate from dirt sand to a peat most type deal. holds lots of moisture... I wanna get this right. Its gonna be moist in their tanks... please verify for me.QUOTE]

This is a highly controversial subject. I've had many problems with mold, mites and nematodes in moist tanks. I now keep most of my enclosures bone dry and provide a clean, full water dish. When my Ts need moisture, they will drink and sometimes straddle their water dish. Haven't had any problems since. There are highly moisture dependant species like T. blondi, which I do keep very moist, but I use roly-poly or pill bugs to help keep unwanted buggies away.

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
texascowboy, i'm actually from mission and dated a girl from santa rosa, so i know the area well!
Wow... a fellow neighbor.. Yeah, I tryed Morenos, Petland, Petsmart, Petco... and even a few Mom and Pop stores... and nothing... which is fine because they seem to like the forest substrate... it looks great and holds great moisture..