Tarantula posture post-molt

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Is this "normal" posture for a 3.0-3.5 inch DLS individual 1 day post-molt?

What you don't see in the photo is a filled water "dish" and a coconut hide, so both essential things are provided-before anyone attempts to accuse me of not providing them.

I'm asking because I know molting can weaken or dehydrate substantially post-molt...can their legs be scrunched up together because their carapace has not hardened and is still soft?

Attachments

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks fine to me, t's can go through all kinds of crazy / unhealthy looking poses after a molt. Sometimes even looking dead or sick but once disturbed right back to normal. Unless she's having trouble getting around I wouldn't worry, soon she will be back to a normal hungry posture. Beautiful girl congrats !

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've seen my Poecilotheria in all sorts of strange poses after molting. She still moves about very well now. Though she also likes to be tucked away in her hide when she does the post molt yoga. I think yours is ok, it may just be a way of stretching and exercising that we'd need 8 legs and 2 body segments to understand. Curious what more experienced members say though.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Mine do the same post molt, occasionally through their regular life cycle as well. When disturbed they almost always instantly snap out of it. Which I don't like to do because I wouldn't want nobody to bother my yoga meditation er whatever.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like its just in a stress curl. Ts like to scrunch after a molt to feel safer.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is this "normal" posture for a 3.0-3.5 inch DLS individual 1 day post-molt?

What you don't see in the photo is a filled water "dish" and a coconut hide, so both essential things are provided-before anyone attempts to accuse me of not providing them.

I'm asking because I know molting can weaken or dehydrate substantially post-molt...can their legs be scrunched up together because their carapace has not hardened and is still soft?
Looks fine to me

sasker

Arachnoprince
My Pamphobeteus also molted last night and it is in a similar position. As you can see, the legs are still a bit light coloured. Keep in mind that the outside of a spider's body is actually its skeleton. Right after molting (and a day or two later) the legs are still too 'rubbery' to properly support the body weight. Imagine your own bones having the characteristics of spaghetti. I doubt that would make us look comfortable either :)

Beautiful spider, by the way. I like the purple 'eyebrows' that many of this genus have.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your T looks fine, they do get into some strange looking poses especially after molting, he/she is just in a pose that feels secure, the exoskeleton is still very soft so protection is paramount at this point....hope this helps.

boina

Lady of the mites
Pamphos seem especially spaghetti-like after a molt to me - the seem to need a while to get their long legs back into shape.
Nice spider - what species is it?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Pamphos seem especially spaghetti-like after a molt to me - the seem to need a while to get their long legs back into shape.
Nice spider - what species is it?
Species "esmeraldas."

I'm kind of sad that he is a male (but ecstatic at the wonderful colors he will sport when he grows to maturity) and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a female for him to breed. I wish more Pamphobeteus were available here at cheaper prices; I only bought him because he was on sale.