TARANTULA order

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks guys I appreciate the help not sure on anything at the moment that's why I asked to get info to help nail down exactly what I'm going to get I appreciate the help
You can't go wrong with A.geniculata.
If the spiders you're looking at are juvies or adults, A.chalcodes and E.sp.Red are excellent choices too :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Personally I would hold off on the P.irminia for a little while, but I admit that is because of my personal experience with them. I had two slings who were OBT's in an irminia body, racing out of their burrows with the slightest disturbance, threatposing and slapping the floor during maintenance, biting the straw/brush/stream of water.
I got them before I was ready, enchanted by their colours, so my bad experience was entirely my fault, maybe combined with getting two spiders who were in the wrong body :D
I'm getting the silent treatment from mine. I haven't see it since the day I put it in the enclosure a few months ago. I do see the hide getting bigger. Maybe this is the making of a horror movie. I just hope I realize it if the hide becomes bigger than the enclosure.

These guys do have a reputation as having a little fire in their personality versus the other common Psalmopoeus. Based on reputation, a P. cambridgei or P. pulcher might be a better choice if there is interest in this genus.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm getting the silent treatment from mine. I haven't see it since the day I put it in the enclosure a few months ago. I do see the hide getting bigger. Maybe this is the making of a horror movie. I just hope I realize it if the hide becomes bigger than the enclosure.

These guys do have a reputation as having a little fire in their personality versus the other common Psalmopoeus. Based on reputation, a P. cambridgei or P. pulcher might be a better choice if there is interest in this genus.
'if the hide gets bigger than the enclosure'...priceless! :rofl:

P.cambridgei seems to be the less secretive and defensive of the three. My pulchers are literally on opposite sides at the moment. One is a slapping demon, the other a scaredy cat.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think you guys know what I mean, though. In general, B. emilia is calm, and P. murinus is mean. There exist some H. maculata that allow you to pinch grab them, and some E. sp. red that run up the tongs to try to bite you. But MOST of the time, the generalizations about certain species tend to be the case.
Has there ever been a case where an E. sp. red ever tried to bite anyone? I would be shocked if true. Mine only does threat postures toward crickets. It only tries to use me as a launching pad to see the world.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Has there ever been a case where an E. sp. red ever tried to bite anyone? I would be shocked if true. Mine only does threat postures toward crickets. It only tries to use me as a launching pad to see the world.
Ah ah, I remember a user not anymore active lately, the name's Radium. She said that her E. sp. red was always grumpy and bitey. I'm not sure if that 'perception' was triggered due to a mislead for unexperience or if that was really baddy :-s

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the info guys think I might swap out the P irminia for N chromatus
Why?
P. irminia aren't all that bad, definitely burrow as slings, had to dig one out for a rehouse. Make great web curtains, good eaters, easy care, most skittish of the Psalmopoeus species and you have to love the leg and abdomen patterns. As for speed, arboreals ARE faster than terrestrials, but thats a given.
Besides you're list has only one arboreal species, why change it to all terrestrials? Or, opt for a P. cambridgei, larger and more "docile", but lack in the color department.
Stear away from Tapinauchenius species, these are true "teleporters" in terms of "speed". ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Why?
Or, opt for a P. cambridgei, larger and more "docile", but lack in the color department.
*lack in the color department*??? I resent that in the name of my cam o_O :p. I love their coloring - it's just more subtile :smug:.

And my 2 N. chromatus are very different: One is quite docile and the other spends half an hour in threat posture if I so much as change the water :shifty:.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Andrea82 they would all be slings I believe I would order from net bug
Ah, in that case i'd hold off on the A.chalcodes and E.sp.Red since they take a long time to get to size.
Have you taken a look at EulersK's series AraneAid yet? He goes over several good species in one episode:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ah, in that case i'd hold off on the A.chalcodes and E.sp.Red since they take a long time to get to size.
Have you taken a look at EulersK's series AraneAid yet? He goes over several good species in one episode:
Just a thought here...I got an A. chalcodes young adult female (3.75 inches) from her last week for a low price, and she had a bunch more. So, if you don't want to wait for a sling to grow, the price on the adult is pretty low compared to other adults, so it's worth at least considering if you like the species.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
@Andrea82 I have but it's been a while have to watch it again to refresh myself

@nicodimus22 I saw that and it had crossed my mind it would be nice to get a confermed female instead of rolling the dice with a sling

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

@nicodimus22 I saw that and it had crossed my mind it would be nice to get a concerned female instead of rolling the dice with a sling
I'd go for the bigger A.chalcodes. From what i've gathered there aren't a lot of bigger specimens for sale.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

@nicodimus22 I saw that and it had crossed my mind it would be nice to get a confermed female instead of rolling the dice with a sling
If the budget permits a female A. chalcodes is definitely the best choice.

I have multiple Aphonopelma in several different species. I can tell you that growth of these slings is v e r y v e r y s l o w.

E. sp. red is a much tougher call since females cost a lot more. If you have other T's the patience in waiting for slings to mature is not tested as badly though they grow slow as well.

EDIT* It would still be better to buy E. sp red slings in quantity. The last thing you want is to wait two years for it to get size and find that it is a male and will die soon.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Psalmos are probably the closest you can get to OWs without actually being OWs. They're very fast and have pretty powerful venom for a NW spider. Still, they aren't AS fast as OWs (especially OW arboreals) and their venom isn't medically significant like many OWs. That being said, you should be fine with the P. irminia. They're extremely shy so giving them a good place to hide is important. Mine usually just retreats into its cork/dirt curtain hide but sometimes if I'm feeding or watering and catch it outside before it can get there I'll get a threat posture. They can be a bit grumpy. Still, nothing you can't handle I think.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The N chromatus is bad for beginners too. Worst hairs aside from Theraphosas, and very liberal with them too.
The N chromatus is easy to keep. Yeah they will flick hairs. Here's an idea, don't mess with it. Reading only gets you so far. Actually keeping them is where real experience comes from.

I'd swap out the P irminia for the N chromatus. I have both and love both. I don't find the irminia a hard arboreal to keep. Give it space and the proper set up and you'd be fine. IMO, they are the wolves of the tarantula world. They know what is going on in their enclosure. Always have an eye on them. The chromatus is a cool T though. Your whole list is good. I have all of those. No disappointments.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
P. irminias are basically old worlds. They're fas as lightning, have no urticating hairs, and possess powerful venom. NOT for beginners.
Two out of three isn't bad. I'd take 10 bites from a P irminia over 1 from an old world

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'd take 10 bites from a P irminia over 1 from an old world
Your statement is interesting, my man. I mean, I've never been bitten (like almost everyone here) by a Theraphosidae in all of those years, therefore when I talk about "pain, and venom potency and etc" I can only speculate basing about what I know (well, I think this can suit everyone that was never tagged, one moment) but I'm curious about a fact.

Leaving out of the question the powerful OW's ones, what about E.pachypus?
IMO, and based on nothing (lol) that Theraphosidae, even if OW, I doubt could be too much worst than a genus Psalmopoeus one. Still mere speculations, uh :-s

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Your statement is interesting, my man. I mean, I've never been bitten (like almost everyone here) by a Theraphosidae in all of those years, therefore when I talk about "pain, and venom potency and etc" I can only speculate basing about what I know (well, I think this can suit everyone that was never tagged, one moment) but I'm curious about a fact.

Leaving out of the question the powerful OW's ones, what about E.pachypus?
IMO, and based on nothing (lol) that Theraphosidae, even if OW, I doubt could be too much worst than a genus Psalmopoeus one. Still mere speculations, uh :-s
I've only been bitten once, 30 years ago. P cancerides on the top of my head. I felt the fangs hit my skull, but no real pain and no after effect. So when it's the P irminia vs many OW's, I can only go off bite reports and talking to some of the less fortunate people I know. I also know some of the OW's are less aggressive, but I wouldn't take a mellow E pachypus lightly. My guess is the bite packs a wallop. I have a big female H gigas that it super mellow. The previous owner routinely handled her. I've stroked her abdomen, but I know what she is capable of.
I know Psalmopoeus is strong for a NW, but it's not in the same class as most OW's.