Tarantula not happy?

Paulll55

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am a beginner at Tarantulas
I have 2 Tarantulas: 1 mexican redknee(female) and 1 Chaco golden knee(male(I think)) both 1 year old(i got the 2 weeks ago).

The temperature in the room is 25 °C and i've bought a hot platform that I put in between the 2 boxes.

The redknee is always staying next to the platform(where is more hot) and nothing else, not hiding in the coconut, not digging(i left 5 inches for digging).

The Chaco golden knee is going around trying to get his foots out of the terrarium ,but, he can not reach it.

Its too cold? too hot?
Help!

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
That G. pulchripes looks like a MM indeed, since he's mature his lifespan will be very short lived and his one priority is finding a mate so not having an appetite isn't going to be unusual... you'll notice him roaming around incessantly trying to escape as well. In terms of of heating them avoid heat mats, pads etc.. Should the temp drop significantly opt to using a space heater to heat the entire room, it's alot safer for the specimens.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I see some things about that picture you posted.
#1 you do not have enough substrate in there, a fall will injure it.
#2 it looks like a mature male in which case the wandering is normal behavior for them at that stage of their life.
#3 it is older than 1 year.

25C is fine for both species. Post some more photos of both of the spiders and of their enclosures. I have a feeling you need to fix some factors with them.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Hello! I am a beginner at Tarantulas
I have 2 Tarantulas: 1 mexican redknee(female) and 1 Chaco golden knee(male(I think)) both 1 year old(i got the 2 weeks ago).

The temperature in the room is 25 °C and i've bought a hot platform that I put in between the 2 boxes.

The redknee is always staying next to the platform(where is more hot) and nothing else, not hiding in the coconut, not digging(i left 5 inches for digging).

The Chaco golden knee is going around trying to get his foots out of the terrarium ,but, he can not reach it.

Its too cold? too hot?
Help!
What is a hot platform? Whatever it is it sounds a bit dodgey to me.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if the pulchripes mature, it is way more than 1 years old. the seller lied.
ditch the heat pad, they do more harm than good.
post a pic of the "females" cage..

Paulll55

Arachnopeon
I see some things about that picture you posted.
#1 you do not have enough substrate in there, a fall will injure it.
#2 it looks like a mature male in which case the wandering is normal behavior for them at that stage of their life.
#3 it is older than 1 year.

25C is fine for both species. Post some more photos of both of the spiders and of their enclosures. I have a feeling you need to fix some factors with them.
I will add substrate tomorrow(the shop is not open right now)
I took a photo of the pad(I took it out as you guys said)
The Redknee has the same substrate as the other one.
Also took a photo of the box itself ( I am not sure about the humidity)

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I will add substrate tomorrow(the shop is not open right now)
I took a photo of the pad(I took it out as you guys said)
The Redknee has the same substrate as the other one.
Also took a photo of the box itself ( I am not sure about the humidity)
You should use the scientific names so we know what we are dealing with.

It looks like you have a Brachypelma smithi or a similar Brachaypelma spp. In that case, you should not be concerned about humidity and DON'T MIST IT.
The "Box" you are referring to is called an "Enclosure." Just so that is clear for everyone here :)

The substrate should be dry for them. If it is wet they will not like it.

The set up itself does not appear to be too bad although like I said you should not be spraying it or even thinking about humidity. 25C = 77F and that is fine for both of your species.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You can use the heat mat, as that is what you are referring to. Just don't stick it to the enclosures, leave 10 or so centimeters between mat and enclosures.
( i know i know guys, you don't like heat mats, but unfortunately, electricity is very very expensive in Europe, and Romania gets bloody cold this time of year)

The G.pulchripes (chaco golden knee) looks to be mature, it will eat rarely and wander around a lot, which is why you need to raise the substrate. Fill the tank more than halfway, that will be enough i think. Can you post pictures of your female B.smithi (redknee)?

Paulll55

Arachnopeon
You can use the heat mat, as that is what you are referring to. Just don't stick it to the enclosures, leave 10 or so centimeters between mat and enclosures.
( i know i know guys, you don't like heat mats, but unfortunately, electricity is very very expensive in Europe, and Romania gets bloody cold this time of year)

The G.pulchripes (chaco golden knee) looks to be mature, it will eat rarely and wander around a lot, which is why you need to raise the substrate. Fill the tank more than halfway, that will be enough i think. Can you post pictures of your female B.smithi (redknee)?
She is always staying there(not digging, not in the hiding spot, just there)

Attachments

Paulll55

Arachnopeon
She is always staying there(not digging, not in the hiding spot, just there) maybe the humidity is too high?
You should use the scientific names so we know what we are dealing with.

It looks like you have a Brachypelma smithi or a similar Brachaypelma spp. In that case, you should not be concerned about humidity and DON'T MIST IT.
The "Box" you are referring to is called an "Enclosure." Just so that is clear for everyone here :)

The set up itself does not appear to be too bad although like I said you should not be spraying it or even thinking about humidity. 25C = 77F and that is fine for both of your species.
Thank you a lot! I won't Mist it anymore, i left a small bowl with water for her to drink(do I need to add sponge in it for her to drink?).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You should use the scientific names so we know what we are dealing with

The set up itself does not appear to be too bad although like I said you should not be spraying it or even thinking about humidity. 25C = 77F and that is fine for both of your
species.
I think he was referring to the heat mat/thing, when he said 'the box'.
Internet/phones overloaded here due to everyone wanting to reach everyone else at 00:00, so my previous post was redundant, except maybe for the heat box.

Paulll55

Arachnopeon
I think he was referring to the heat mat/thing, when he said 'the box'.
Internet/phones overloaded here due to everyone wanting to reach everyone else at 00:00, so my previous post was redundant, except maybe for the heat box.
So it will be better tomorrow, when its more quiet and people don't call that much each other ? :p
Sorry for so many questions, I really want them to be happy!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i left a small bowl with water for her to drink(do I need to add sponge in it for her to drink?).
Don't put a sponge in the water dish. The tarantula doesn't need it, and it will only serve as a growth medium for microorganisms.

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you a lot! I won't Mist it anymore, i left a small bowl with water for her to drink(do I need to add sponge in it for her to drink?).
You say thanks a lot, yet everyone thats given you the best advice has been given a "disagree" by you. Baffling.:meh: