Tarantula nibbles on styrofoam back cover

Leyden

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, my Pamphobeteus sp. machala is a notorious digger and I gave him all the substrate he needs, but recently he started to nibble on the styrofoam back panel.
I wonder if thats bad for the tarantula in any way. Should I do something about it? Any experience with that?

Thanks and greeting from Germany!

Hey everyone, my Pamphobeteus sp. machala is a notorious digger and I gave him all the substrate he needs, but recently he started to nibble on the styrofoam back panel.
I wonder if thats bad for the tarantula in any way. Should I do something about it? Any experience with that?

Thanks and greeting from Germany!
Its just tarantula doing its thing.Some of mine love trashing the fake plants and fang the vent holes.It will chew on whatever it pleases and there is nothing you can do about it.lol ;)
I would not worry about it.
Regards Konstantin

Leyden

Arachnopeon
why would you even have this in a terrestrial enclosure?
Well its just a background for the enclosure. I thought Tarantulas wouldn't interact with it anyways. Well at least my B. smithi and my B. bohemei did not. I think it looks nice.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Have you actually seen the tarantula breaking apart the Styrofoam? Because crickets are notorious for eating that stuff.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Do you have a picture of the enclosure? Would be helpful just to make sure everything is good, since you are new.

Leyden

Arachnopeon
Have you actually seen the tarantula breaking apart the Styrofoam? Because crickets are notorious for eating that stuff.
Yes, I have seen it carrying chunks of it out of it's burrow. Pieces of it are spread all over its enclosure. But it seems like it stopped doing that, as it only carries out piles of substrate now.

HI
It seems its only expanding its burrow.Some keepers remove the part of the background that will be buried in the substrate for that reason.Dont see anything alarming and it seems its done with it from what you have written earlier.
Your substrate level is a bit low for my liking tho :)
Regards Konstantin