tarantula mystery boxes

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's interesting. I've not seen these sorts of things before now so I certainly can't speak n their authenticity. It could very well be legit, I have no way of knowing. Just a cautionary tale though, several years ago on this very site, I bought some things from a guy and everything went awesome. We did some trades and I was never anything other than impressed, then I found out that he was taking money and spiders from people and they never got anything in return. He never got me, but it was only by luck that I had no deals out with him when he went rogue. He got some people for several hundred dollars as I recall. Anyway, my point is, I'm always suspicious of things that sound this good now.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It's possible one of my slings was meant as a freebie. I had placed a large order - which may also have influenced the contents of my mystery box. And definitely depends on what slings a seller has a bunch of too. Obviously I was pleased with my mystery box.

The only downside, was not knowing ahead of time what types of set-ups to use. If you use deli cups for everything, may not matter.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The Spider Shop (UK), also have these mysteryboxes. I dont think i would get one, unless i get the option to say what species i really don't want.

Tarantula Bristol has a negative reputation. If you want a mysterybox, i'd order from TSS.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
When did this become a thing? Is this seller for real? Does anyone have any experience with them? This sounds a bit scammish to me. Especially considering they allow you to steer the contents toward your preferences. I learned a long time ago that if it sounds too good to be true that it usually is. I would also keep in mind that if they weren't making some kind of profit on this they wouldn't be selling them so if it's legit, it's probably the very cheapest T's that can be had and probably a lot of packing material as well. For the price though, it might be worth giving it a try just to see.
I have not ordered from them but they don't have the best reputation here in the UK. I would personally go elsewhere based on what other members here have said.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
If you don't know what you want then do some research. This hobby isn't all about the time you spend on caring for your Ts although that is important it is also important to research and understand the species you are purchasing and essentially bringing into tour home to provide for. I think atleast for beginners these "mystery" boxes are pretty bad in general. Instead of being ready with research and knowledge prior to recieving your T you just get a box and are expected to do research then. And you also will be eager to get your new pets out and into their homes which you likely will have no understanding of in terms of requirements. Like others have said this in my opinion from a business standpoint is a way for breeders to clear stocks and salvage some kind of profit on Ts that havent moved or are just in great supply at the time.

Chad Peace

Arachnosquire
okay they have arrived, the tarantulas i got are:
Brachypelma albopilosum
Nhandu chromatus
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Holothele incei "gold"
they all arrived alive and well

jonikniemi

Arachnopeon
I want to bring my reasons and opinions on this matter.
So I had tarantulas long time ago. There was just some species, nothing like now. I got this desire to get back in this hobby so I started to find info. I was checking the same old species that I had or that I know of. I found the spidersworld.eu site and I was like kid in the candystore. I spend over 2 months trying to figure out what T`s I want but couldnt make my mind. Than I found the mystery box for beginners. It was 62€ and I thought why not. Now I was waiting for the species ive been looking for and that I knew. You cant understand how excited I was when package arrived. Inside was nothing that I could have ever guessed.
I got:
-Hapalopus sp. colombia big female
-Dafus pentaloris
-Psalmopoeus irminia
-Psalmopoeus pulcher
-Nhandu chromatus
-Pterinopelma sazimai
I was reading the labels and thinking "what the hell" but in a good way. I truly am more than happy with these spiders. I would have never picked them I would have gone with the norm that I use go.

Love it.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Actually, for me it is not about building a big collection quickly nor about the money saved, considering that especially slings are rather cheap in Europe.

Knowing myself I probably would have stuck to well known or popular Ts in the end. The amount of species, even only NW, is just overwhelming and interesting but superficialy "bland" looking. or rarely mentioned species are easily overlooked e.g. kochina brunipes). Now I have several Ts I did not know even existed but are amazing and I enjoy seeing them grow and studiying their very different behaviour. Except one of them which I don't ever see because it immediately burrowed and never reappeared *sigh*
I'll just quote what I wrote in another thread. That was my reasoning for getting a mystery box.