Tarantula Molting Thread

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate that a bald spot alone (or even necessarily) meant a molt was imminent, only that I have seen T's who's carapace has begun fading/becoming darker, and simultaniously their abdomen hair seems to get more splotchy, their habits change (become more shy/skittish), and shortly after, they molt.

Of course, if your T is a perpetual hair kicker, or of certain species, you can't rely on a bald spot to warn you of an impending molt.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ts are not aggressive, they are defensive. There is a big difference...
I know you have experience and I agree with your post, except on this. :)

Agressivness is implied in the tarantulas defensive mechanism.

By definition, A tarantula, can very well be agressive

The only defensive mechanism that is non aggresive that a tarantula can display is "freezing up"- locating the legs around its carpace, inmobile- or running away.

tech

Arachnopeon
so my Guatemala Red Rump that i got roughly 1.5 months ago and have been feeding and eating well is now on its back. i just noticed it about 30 minutes ago. take a look at the tips of her toe area. how long does a molt usually take. its just under 2" say 1.75". i'm sure she'll be done by the morning when i wake up right? how long after the molt til her first feeding? thanks

Tcraze

Arachnopeon
as soon as the fang had harden and turn black...they are ready to feed...=)..usually take around 1 week...=)

tech

Arachnopeon
so i'm waking up for work and see that she's out of her molt. i have a small water dish not far from the mouth of her little cave. i only recently provided her with this dish so now after the molt located it near her to find. is this suitable? i have never actually seen her drink from it.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know you have experience and I agree with your post, except on this. :)

Agressivness is implied in the tarantulas defensive mechanism.

By definition, A tarantula, can very well be agressive

The only defensive mechanism that is non aggresive that a tarantula can display is "freezing up"- locating the legs around its carpace, inmobile- or running away.
True, it can't simply shake its fist at you to get off its lawn, but the owner has done something that it interprets as aggression towards it and is getting a defensive reaction from the T. It doesn't choose to come out of hide/ burrow/ enclosure out of the blue to bite you, because it cannot see you. That IMO would be an aggressive animal.

If it feels the air pressure change from the opening of its enclosure, or air currents from picking up boluses/ filling the water dish, the tarantula has identified a threat and reacts according to its survival instincts. That does not make it an inherently aggressive animal, but a defensive one that will react aggressively to make its point when it wants you off its lawn. That makes a difference to me and is why I personally don't call them aggressive.

tech

Arachnopeon
so just got home and checked on her. doesn't look like she has moved. what can i expect from her the next few days? thanks.

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
Oh

my

god

YOU GUYS! These photos are the COOLEST! :D I cannot wait for my girlie to molt. Freakin awesome. NOTHING like roaches (what I'm used to)