Tarantula lethargic after shipping...

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
So I just received my Davus pentaloris and it seems a bit lethargic, when I first unwrapped her I was worried, she was curled up and not moving, I no these are fast tarantulas so that worried me, she also made a half hearted attempt to hair me, a really slow and sluggish attempt, however after a few pokes from my brush it walked off all be it slowly, eventually heading into the hide.

Im thinking could it be due to the temps here at the moment, it's pretty chilly now at about 10 degrees celsius outside and it took an extra day to get here, 48 hours instead of 24 and it came with no heat pack which surprised me at this time of year even though up to now it has been quite mild.

Anyway I have her in a nice warm environment now and just filled up her water dish so I'm hoping she'll be okay.

Any thoughts?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Obviously. It's a bit coldish here where I live now, go figure up north in Ireland :rolleyes:

It's normal... When it comes to shipping & temperatures (so not mentioning how the package was made etc) the rule is:
"Cold and T's are sluggish, Hot and T's are cooked".

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Make sure you offer water in a bowl and maybe even mist the enclosure a bit just for now so she won’t have to walk too far for water if she lacks the energy. The cold definitely can make them sluggish. Make sure she’s hydrated!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Keep her warm and hydrated. Try to leave her calm without constant checkings to see if it's still alright, so she can save more energy. They can take from some hours to days to "reactivate".

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Sounds normal. Even where I live in a much warmer climate the sluggishness when unpacking is noticeable. Some bounce right out of it while others take longer.

First thing I do with any T I get is unpack it right away and contact the seller with a pic and status, regardless if it’s 100% fine. This provides them feedback on the shipping as well as overall appearance of the animal so if there are issues that communication is happening sooner than later.

zoroastrianpulchripes

Arachnosquire
So I just received my Davus pentaloris and it seems a bit lethargic, when I first unwrapped her I was worried, she was curled up and not moving, I no these are fast tarantulas so that worried me, she also made a half hearted attempt to hair me, a really slow and sluggish attempt, however after a few pokes from my brush it walked off all be it slowly, eventually heading into the hide.

Im thinking could it be due to the temps here at the moment, it's pretty chilly now at about 10 degrees celsius outside and it took an extra day to get here, 48 hours instead of 24 and it came with no heat pack which surprised me at this time of year even though up to now it has been quite mild.

Anyway I have her in a nice warm environment now and just filled up her water dish so I'm hoping she'll be okay.

Any thoughts?
considering you´re in a cold area, its normal. as long as your house is room temperature, it´ll warm up and become more active eventually.
if it doesnt; inform us! might be a more serious issue if thats the case

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Had that happen to me before (different species) and it was because it was in premolt and it ended up molting a day or so later. Just mentioning it in case you haven't already ruled it out.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Everything seems to be good anyway she's started to do some exploring, I moved the enclosure a bit and she kind of showed some of that stereotypical speed, I'll give her the night and may try a feed tomorrow.