Tarantula in pre molt, cricket in enclosure

Sarah23

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I'm really struggling. I feed my Tarantula 3 days ago, and I left the cricket near him for him to eat (sometimes he doesn't grab it right away), and later I came back and couldn't find the cricket, so I assumed he ate it. 2 days later, I had to move something in the enclosure, and I found the cricket was hiding under it, still completely alive. I tried to guide the cricket to my T, but it just wasn't happening, and it seems that my T doesn't want to eat, which is normal, because he's just entered pre molt a week ago (his typically last a month before he molts) and I was just trying to make sure he was fed before he actually molted. Well the problem is, I can't get the cricket out. I have never seen a cricket like this, I can't catch him. It's like he has some kind of special parkour abilities, cuz I can't pin him down. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm scared that I won't be able to get him out, and he'll be in there while my T molts, or that he will stress my T out before he molts. Should I just wait till he dies? I tried to get the cricket out today and yesterday. He's not dieing! He's not even getting slower! I don't know what to do, please help!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
thats why you feed pre killed only dont need to deal with issues like this and theres no reason to be trying to feed your t while knowing it was in premolt? just go ahead and dig out the cricket all will be okay just dont it if your t is already flipped ready to molt

Sarah23

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks! I went back to check and he FINALLY ate the cricket. He's like, beginning beginning of pre molt, and I felt he was getting a little thin, because all the crickets died at the place I get them, so now all the new crickets are tiny for some reason, and so I was worried that if I didn't feed him... Honestly, I don't even know what I'm worried about, I guess I'm just paranoid 😅. He still has at LEAST 3 weeks before molting, I just worry sometimes 😅.
Thank you again!

thats why you feed pre killed only dont need to deal with issues like this and theres no reason to be trying to feed your t while knowing it was in premolt? just go ahead and dig out the cricket all will be okay just dont it if your t is already flipped ready to molt
Also, I've tried pre killed, but he won't eat em, unfortunately

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get that cricket out or you’re going to have a dead T!!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Ok, thanks! I went back to check and he FINALLY ate the cricket. He's like, beginning beginning of pre molt, and I felt he was getting a little thin, because all the crickets died at the place I get them, so now all the new crickets are tiny for some reason, and so I was worried that if I didn't feed him... Honestly, I don't even know what I'm worried about, I guess I'm just paranoid 😅. He still has at LEAST 3 weeks before molting, I just worry sometimes 😅.
Thank you again!

Also, I've tried pre killed, but he won't eat em, unfortunately
your welcome word of advice dont worry to much or you will look like your the one in premolt:rofl: bald shiny head from worry haha j/k

Sarah23

Arachnopeon
Get that cricket out or you’re going to have a dead T!!
Ya, that's what I was scared of! Thankfully he ate it last night! I was freaking out, but I didn't want to remove my Tarantula inorder to get the cricket out when he's in pre molt, ya know? And I was not able to catch the cricket! It had a strong will to live.

your welcome word of advice dont worry to much or you will look like your the one in premolt:rofl: bald shiny head from worry haha j/k
🤣 Ya, I've had him for about a year, guess I still have that bit of beginners panick 😅

Sarah23

Arachnopeon
we all had that before haha
Yep, I thought I was past it, but I guess not 😂

I keep forgetting that Tarantulas are so much more sturdy then other pets. If you don't feed em once they will be fine. New concept 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya, that's what I was scared of! Thankfully he ate it last night! I was freaking out, but I didn't want to remove my Tarantula inorder to get the cricket out when he's in pre molt, ya know? And I was not able to catch the cricket! It had a strong will to live.

🤣 Ya, I've had him for about a year, guess I still have that bit of beginners panick 😅
Man is mightier than the cricket!!!!

T is better than man at catching a cricket when it's hungry!!!

winter

Arachnosupporter +
I find it much easier to just kill the cricket by crushing it with a pair of tongs rather than trying to catch it alive. Once the decision is made to kill the cricket, it's much easier to apply a quick decisive crush to any part or all of its anatomy rather than applying controlled force in an attempt to remove it without causing harm.

Sarah23

Arachnopeon
I find it much easier to just kill the cricket by crushing it with a pair of tongs rather than trying to catch it alive. Once the decision is made to kill the cricket, it's much easier to apply a quick decisive crush to any part or all of its anatomy rather than applying controlled force in an attempt to remove it without causing harm.
Ya, that's very true