• Any old container - it doesn't matter what it looks like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Custom made enclosures

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just wondering what peoples setup for their tarantulas are like? I use all glass tanks for my pets, but i realise this isn't possible for some of you with huge collections, in terms of cost and space. so what do you use?

Cheers,

Dan.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i put pet pals, because i've never purchased aquariums for my spiders... but i do have spiders in them from time to time....

it all depends on the size and lifestyle of the animal.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I use critter keepers (pet pal) They are light,
easy to get,and come in many sizes and colors.
My snail has a small glass tank and my Millies
live in a 10 gallan fish tank.=D

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have some in glass tanks, and kritter keepers. Ron also makes his own cages out of wood and glass. He is in construction, so he can get alot of old windows. So he builds cages for our pets. We also have some in deli cups that are small. :) Pam

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I mainly use petpal type cages, although there are modified salsa jars, deli containers, and beanie baby containers aplenty as well. Not to mention the sling vials for the wee ones. If a container is clear and the right size, nothing is safe from my housing needs.

Long term, space and money providing (of which neither are right now), I do plan to move everyone into glass aquaria, but this won't be until after I buy my own place and can build shelving just for the inverts.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have a mix of glass aquariums, petpal things, and odd contraptions I've made out of various containers. I was going to stay all glass aquarium, because it does look nicer, but someone made the point to me that the glass stays a little on the cool side, in room temperature. I thought about it, and yes, if I place my hand even on My H. gigas tank (which is heated via my PC) near the bottom, it is slightly cool. Now, I don't know if this makes any difference at all when it comes to tarantula well being, since both of the ones I have in glass are doing just fine.

Bill

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i use beanie display cases.

At the craft store i was able to purchase many many different sizes,(THANK YOU to whomever posted that thread about the beanie cases) and with the beanie cases, they also sold 1"X1"X3" containers that I have the slings in..
They work out perfect.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
I use glass and critter keepers for temporary keeping. I never quite understood the tupperware under the bed or in the closet thing. I have spiders because I love spiders. I want to see them. Obviously, if you have 50 spiders you pretty much have to, but I'm happy with my 2.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I checked all of the choices off as I use just about everything.

I have stuff in glass aquariums
I have stuff in Kritter Keepers
I have stuff in any old plastic storage container
I have stuff in custom enclosures (arachnohomes)
I have stuff in vials
I have stuff in deli cups

They all work good for me :)

Scott

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my larger T's in glass aquariums, some of the medium sized in pet pals and some in custom enclosures. It all depends on what I have on hand when I purchase a new T.

Andy

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have my spiders in petpals too, but they are only slings. But i think i prefer glass when they get bigger in the future

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
As for me i have gone through all the glass enclosures from 2.5 gallon tanks all the way to 20 gal tanks they to me were nothing but hassle and i lost alot of money that could of been spent on some awesome t's all my t's now are in from med size kritter keepers to large sized at almost 3/4 of a price cut and to me my t's seem alot more happier another thing say goodbye to those annoying screen lids by the way thats just my oppinion,take care-jason

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do think that glass tanks look a lot better, and since i bought my pets mainly for observing, then it's definitely the best option for me. I can understand that once the line is crossed from a few 'pet' tarantulas to a large collection of Ts, plastic containers are much more price effective. I have tried petpals and critterkeepers etc in the past, but a couple of things about them really bugged me; i don't like the shape of them, the fact that they are smaller at the bottom really isn't ideal for terrestrial tarantulas, and the sides aren't horizontal at the back, so a heat mat attached to a wall isn't in contact with the tank. They also have a tendancy to scratch and discolour with age. On the other hand, they are a fraction of the price of glass tanks, and this is definitely a factor with large collections. I have recently started to use tupperwear with some of my smaller tarantulas and pedes, as a glass tank is overkill for a spiderling or juvenile, but i plan to get more glass tanks as they get bigger. I'd really like to see some pics of people's setups if possible.

Cheers,

Dan.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL, the real question is, what DONT i use as an enclosure? There is an assortment of everything. And i even have my family trained to bring items over that they think might be useful to me. My favorite for slings is small plastic container that holds ice cream, very similar to a deli cup. My two adult T's are in Kritter Keepers though.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well ,it all depends on the size and type of T. slings are in vials, larger slings are in deli cups or baby food jars.then I have juvys in kritter karryiers(spelling)if there terestrial and tall glass jars for my Haplopelmas and Psalmopoeus.I have my adult female O.andersoni in a 5 gallon tank.with half sceen top half glass lid.I really like the glass jars. Its amazing I'll be shopping for groceries and some times I buy food for the jar.:D :D .
Doug

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll use just about anything that's the right size and can be turned into housing.
Most of ours are in glass aquariums because the twins were given a Bunch by one of their teachers who used to collect fish and no longer does and wanted to be rid of them. :)
But I use a few KK's, a few cheeseball tubs, a cup and 1/2 tupperwear snack cup and a pill bottle type vial.
I am working on several housing plans. Including track lighting and shelves for the aquariums.
Also converting my china hutch into a T apartment complex.
I also have a diplay case I used to use to display a set of knives that are now mounted on the wall.

If it works. It's used.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I picked the "any old container" option. My 2 roseas and my H. lividum are both in 5.5 gallon tanks, my 2 Lasiodoras are in medium pet pals, my 2 inch avic in in a medium-large pet pal, the cyaneopubescens lives in a deli cup, the P. murinus is in a very small pet pal, and my 1/2" avic is in a baby food jar.
As they mature I hope to move them all into 5.5 gallon tanks, except for the Lasiodoras, they'll most likely be in 20 gallon tanks. Of course, depending on how many spiders I accumulate, I may end up changing my mind about that :p

Leanne

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The big bugs get the all glass treatment. They are for display. However, the little ones get Kritter keepers/home made acrylic boxes.

Jon

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my pzb in a 10 gal glass aquarium, and my e.murinus in a shoe-box sized plastic tub, but only because it's a juvenile. When it's larger it will have a 5 gallon glass tank.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use pretty much anything (except glass aquariums), depending on its shape and size. For my adult burrowers I use sterilite show off containers. The slings and sub-adults are in viles and deli cups. The other adults are in slightly opaque tupperware containers. Some arboreals are in old plastic candy containers. I stay away from glass aquariums because they are too heavy, expensive, and the dimentions of most are not what I need.
Mike