Tarantula help, problem with leg

Kamitue

Arachnopeon
I own a Chillean Rose hair. Was checking out the tank today when I noticed that the leg seemed to have molted partially, or was damaged. Don't quite know how it happened nor do I know what I should do (if anything). Attached is the picture of the problem. Anyone have any input?

Edit: She started molting early this morning.

Attachments

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could be wrong, but it looks like her leg is stuck in the old molt. If it becomes an issue for her, she will drop the leg. Nothing you can really do to help.

Kamitue

Arachnopeon
When did she molt?
Couldn't tell you. She hasn't molted recently, which is why this caught me off guard.

Actually, she hasn't molted anytime in the last 3 years to the best of my knowledge, which i also feel is a bit odd.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Screen top is my guess.

Fortunately a single leg isn't a worry, its like you breaking a nail...bad news is that because it takes so long for this species to molt, it could be a while.

Do nothing, eventually the will most likely remove it herself.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Looks like that leg never made it out the old exo. It will most likely amputate the limb by itself.

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like that leg never made it out the old exo. It will most likely amputate the limb by itself.
The t in question has NOT molted recently, so this isn't a molt issue, its a trauma issue.

cold blood

Staff member
Until we hear from the OP, my suspicion is that it got caught in a screen top.

basin79

ArachnoGod
From how it looks to me it appears that the bottom part of the leg in question never shed how many months/years ago. Now the new leg has withered underneath the old skin has come lose and slipped down.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Op, can you post pics of enclosure? That would help a lot in finding out what happened.

Kamitue

Arachnopeon
She started molting in the early hours this morning. We'll see how the leg turns out, but i'm starting to think it was just a molt problem were that leg came out early.

There is a screen top, which I've been meaning to change out for a while. The screen was on the opposite side of the tarantula so I'm not sure if that was the issue. Still, I'll make a note to change out her enclosure. Any recommendations?

cold blood

Staff member
I'd bet that the screen top had her trapped, and just by the grace of god she was ready to molt, causing only the old exo to break. Good luck, hopefully she pulls of the molt without a hitch.

Replace the screen with drilled plexi or acrylic.

Last edited: