Tarantula Hawk

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Saviour,

"Nature's red, in tooth and claw" < and the stings of pompilids>

What's so horrid about a wasp doing what it needs to do in order to carry on its generations:? On occasion, the tarantula prevails, drags the wasp down into its lair, and makes a waspslurpy!

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Ok, ITS HIDEOUS !!! SQUISH IT !!!

Is it just me, or does that waspy thingy in the picture look like its plastic ???? Im not saying it is, it just looks it !
Arent solifugids considered hideous to most?? Would you want to go out of your way and squish one of them too??

Alex S. :(

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
to be truthful, i dont squish anything. It would be hypocritical of me to get mad at people who squash spiders and then turn around and squash a wasp.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just an update about the spider I have that was stung...

She seems to be doing a lot better, and even walking around a bit. Still very sluggish, but coming along.

The same night I found that tarantula, I also saw annother wasp + spider duo that had be run over, bad news for both. The good news was that I knew that it must be a good area for tarantulas, so I came back the next day and sure enough, I found burrows and was able to collect some unstung spiders...if you see a lot of pepsis flying about, that could be an indicator that you're in good tarantula habitat.

The pepsis I found did end up biting the dust, but not because I hated it but because I wanted it for my pinned insect collection :)

Wade

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
glad to hear...

your aphonopelma's doing fine, wade...

Ghrankenstein

Arachnopeon
Actually, wasps have a lot of active, vivid behaviors. Sitting quietly in a patch of woods, or just about any habitat really, will reveal an abundance of diligent little hymenopterans. While the beetles will be, basically, walking along, the caterpillars are gorging, and the butterflies fluttering, the wasps will generally be doing something technical, with multiple steps, oblivious to your curiosity.

I've said it a million times, but I love 'em all! =D

Ghrankenstein