Tarantula fears live food?

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, i was woundering if it was possible for a tarantula to fear live food, if it was raised from a sling eating dead stuff, never having to catch anything. I know it's in thier nature to catch prey, but if they were raised without ever having to catch thier prey as a sling, would they fear live food as they grow bigger? I just got a new GBB sling and scince it was born it has always been fed dead stuff, now she is 1" and i put crickets in there smaller then her and she runs away scared, or just not wanting to eat, the person who sent her to me said she molted maybe 1-2 months ago, could it just be shes getting ready for a molt? Could a tarantula become custom to eating dead stuff and fear live food? Just woundering.
Mike

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Instinct

I think the drive to fulfill hunger is far too great to actually condition them out of attacking prey. I think it's deeply instinctive to attack prey when they feel the urge to eat. Just as they know to rear up or bite or kick hairs when threatened. This may just be an instance where your T just does not want to eat.