Tarantula Facebook groups

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I try not to be a judgy turd... but these larger tarantula facebook groups are pretty cringe.
Tarantula moms, tarantula karens, " Spoods":sick: all that goofy stuff aside... the husbandry and the questions are next level terrible. Have any of you joined and then left after the endless barrage of misinformation and goofy posts? How many times can you read stuff like "hey I just got a spider how do I take care of it" before you want to gouge your eyes out or throw the computer in the lake or something? Was there anything redeeming about those groups? I do occasionally see a really awesome photo or two or someone post some good advice to a noob but... if there is a good Tarantula group on Facebook which one is it?

This is my tarantula Mystic Midnight , i'm a witch, now Im a tarantula Mom, oh and by the way how do I water it? I cant really read another one of those and they are endless for some reason.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Then we link them to beginner threads and tell them to read them before asking questions and they say we’re mean

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
or bashing on them cause we gave blunt to the point replies what ever happened to the days of being straight forward was a good thing?

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I only join them because every once and a while I find a tarantula for a really good price, I got a 3” Grammastola actaeon for only $80, ended up being female too

Last edited:

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
<snip> if there is a good Tarantula group on Facebook which one is it?
<snip>
Have you tried this one?

I hear the website is MUCH better though ... :p

I only join them because every once and a while I find a tarantula for a really good price, I got a 3” Grammastola actaeon for only $80, ended up being female too

I thought selling live animals on Facebook was against their TOS?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I thought selling live animals on Facebook was against their TOS?
Yeah but seeing as it's only enforced in the form of bot mods removing posts that contain certain keywords people just work around it, you can list what species you have available as long as you don't include prices in the post itself and then do everything else via Messenger.

Vulash

Arachnosquire
I'm in a few. Some are better than others, but all have some of what you're talking about. Keep in mind the massive number of members these groups have and it's hard not to have much of that. I enjoy seeing the pictures, and occasionally still learn something new.

I did create a post for newbies to read before posting - it linked to the relevant beginner stuff here. I think it fell off the front page, however. Honestly, it should be stickied. I'm happy to edit it as well based on old timer feedback.

How to get the best help on this forum - please read before asking questions | Arachnoboards

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
if it wasnt full of mush mouth baby talk I might be able to stomach it, as it stands I silenced the group in question. Couldnt stand it, I guess patience isnt my strong suite. I dont know why and I dont want to infer that people shouldnt do what they want to enjoy this hobby (outside of not care for the spiders properly), but the spiderbaby talk and the spoods and the tarantulamom crap I hit a brick wall with that stuff quickly, ymmv. I feel like when Im here Im talking to scientists comparatively lol. I find tarantula husbandry fascinating always have always will.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
I have been labeled an "elitist" in those groups. The main reason being that I correctly ID the species of what people on those groups have. They don't even know what they have so I correct them and go "that actually a xxxxx" which ends up with tons of people calling me a know it all and that's such a bad thing to undermine a post like that 🤦‍♂️

Oh I'm not also allowed to correct that we should use "sp." for those undescribed ones because it just shows that I'm trying to make the OP dumb

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I have been labeled an "elitist" in those groups. The main reason being that I correctly ID the species of what people on those groups have. They don't even know what they have so I correct them and go "that actually a xxxxx" which ends up with tons of people calling me a know it all and that's such a bad thing to undermine a post like that 🤦‍♂️

Oh I'm not also allowed to correct that we should use "sp." for those undescribed ones because it just shows that I'm trying to make the OP dumb
hOW DaRe YoU
you gate keeper!

hahah

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
All those FB groups suck. There was ONE that was decent that I used to buy/sell/trade T's. Southern California Tarantula Keepers or something like that and wasn't too bad and I made some tarantula friends. Some trolls or Karens in there but not as bad as the very large FB groups on there. I eventually deactivated FB and only use Arachnoboards now.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
I'm in one that I really like, ran by some knowledgeable keepers in my local area. Definitely a lot more handling than the folks here could take, though. I did have to drop out of some corn snake fb groups for your exact reasons, all these "danger noodle moms" just drove me up the wall

Paolo G

Arachnopeon
Why does majority of female tarantula keepers have some nose piercing or tattoos? And why are they so into GBB's and versicolors? Like seriously.! "Help my GBB/help my versicolor"