Tarantula Burst During Molt :(

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

My young adult B vagans just died during a molt. To me, it looks like somehow with the changing pressure of hemolymph, it burst. This is very sad and I would like to know if there is any way to prevent this. Any similar stories? This picture is after she died and I flipped her over.

Thanks

Attachments

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I'm so sorry. That's horrific. I haven't seen this before but I've only been keeping for a few years.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I am thinking that it wasn’t a matter of hemolymph pressure, but a catastrophic failure of the new exoskeleton. I’ve seen many pictures of “wet molts” (a catch all phrase for the appearance of a tarantula following an extremely problematic molt), but your situation is quite dramatic. I am sorry for your loss, but be assured this does not seem to be a circumstance in which you could have done anything to prevent it, or help.

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry. That's horrific. I haven't seen this before but I've only been keeping for a few years.
I know. :( Thanks for your condolences.

I am thinking that it wasn’t a matter of hemolymph pressure, but a catastrophic failure of the new exoskeleton. I’ve seen many pictures of “wet molts” (a catch all phrase for the appearance of a tarantula following an extremely problematic molt), but your situation is quite dramatic. I am sorry for your loss, but be assured this does not seem to be a circumstance in which you could have done anything to prevent it, or help.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I feel a bit powerless to prevent this kind of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Do you have a photo of her before her moult? Did you flip her over, or did she manage that herself? Did her abdomen burst on the underside?

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
Do you have a photo of her before her moult? Did you flip her over, or did she manage that herself? Did her abdomen burst on the underside?
I don’t have any great before pics but everything looked fine. She was plump before the molt. I flipped her. She was upside down when I found her. And although I haven’t done an “autopsy,” I think somewhere around the joint between her abdomen and cephalothorax tore open.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm so sorry that happened. It's always hard to lose a pet - particularly when it's sudden and unexpected.

Just wondering - did you see her upside down and beginning to molt? Or did you find her upside down after she burst, and assume that it was due to a molt gone wrong? (I'm just wondering if it might have been a catastrophic fall rather than a molting problem. I've never seen anything like that from a molt!)

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry that happened. It's always hard to lose a pet - particularly when it's sudden and unexpected.

Just wondering - did you see her upside down and beginning to molt? Or did you find her upside down after she burst, and assume that it was due to a molt gone wrong? (I'm just wondering if it might have been a catastrophic fall rather than a molting problem. I've never seen anything like that from a molt!)
Thanks for your concern. Yeah, she was totally healthy, flipped over to molt, and then never flipped back over. Definitely a molting accident. She was halfway out of her old skin.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hi all,

My young adult B vagans just died during a molt. To me, it looks like somehow with the changing pressure of hemolymph, it burst. This is very sad and I would like to know if there is any way to prevent this. Any similar stories? This picture is after she died and I flipped her over.

Thanks
Very rare I’ve actually never seen anything like this death : probably nothing you could do to prevent it . In fact my b vagans got stuck in its molt and died . After a failed egg sack not had the funds to try to breed anymore females I’d have to do 50/50 loans . I’m too low on cash even for that right now . Since you need pill jars like thousands right. ??
Very sorry for it your loss , I may get this breed again as mine was not a bad hair kicker .
I wish there was more we could do to mimic natural humidity levels , large room spider struggle like Goliath in captivity. Like mine survived her molt later died when tumor ruptured . Wish I had money for another.

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
Very rare I’ve actually never seen anything like this death : probably nothing you could do to prevent it . In fact my b vagans got stuck in its molt and died . After a failed egg sack not had the funds to try to breed anymore females I’d have to do 50/50 loans . I’m too low on cash even for that right now . Since you need pill jars like thousands right. ??
Very sorry for it your loss , I may get this breed again as mine was not a bad hair kicker .
I wish there was more we could do to mimic natural humidity levels , large room spider struggle like Goliath in captivity. Like mine survived her molt later died when tumor ruptured . Wish I had money for another.
That’s a shame. Maybe this species is sensitive to molting?

That really looks quite horrific...
Really sorry that happened
Thanks for your condolences. :(

Wow, that's just terrible! It has to be a rare occurrence...so sorry for your loss :(
I hope so too! Thanks for your condolences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos4eva

Arachnopeon
Wow sorry for your loss. I'm very new to the hobby and didn't know this could happen.. :(

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
That is so, so awful. Just horrific. I'm so sorry. I have never seen anything like this.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That is so, so awful. Just horrific. I'm so sorry. I have never seen anything like this.
Im saying Goliath birdeaters have trouble in captivity Due to massive size .
Rob c had Lot of trouble , along with many others keepers with cysts and bad molts . But Goliath are a longer lived species whats typically life span ?
IM not sure if I’ll get another new world T or not . I may primarily buy old worlds when I get a job . Won’t get more til I can move out. Abasement is not best place to store tarantulas !!