Tarantula breeding as a side hobby

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Not a side hobby. A full time hobby at the minimum. Maybe a part time job. Possibly a full time job.

A lot goes into breeding and selling.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I have been in this game for a while. I will tell you this. When you put the word "sell" into a hobby, it officially becomes a job.
I couldn't agree more with you.

I've been breeding a few species over the years, but I'm not a seller so, my friends always get presents when I have an eggsac, I separate some to me and sometimes, in rarely ocasions, I made trades with keepers that have species I dont have.

OP questions are interesting, though, and he received good advice to start as a seller.

Good thread. :)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A lot of truth people are saying for sure. If you seek profit then it will become a loop that most dealers, breeders, and vendors get themselves into. Usually it goes like this: Breed, Sell, Buy more sexed specimens for breeding.

it's scary to stop, but full time breeders that rely on this income usually get themselves into this loop. And it's quite hard to get out of it because your financially relying on this whether it be a profitable primary or secondary source of income. Better to do the breeding as a "part-time" or "seasonal" breeder, so you don't stress yourself into a loop. Better to breed and sell on the better months regarding temps and seasons rather than the colder months where risk is higher. Hence, why I call it seasonal breeding and myself as a seasonal breeder. Because I don't want to be stuck with T.'s in a cold weather situation because shipping during those cold months would hurt. I don't advise newbie breeders to sell in colder months unless local. Just my extra 2 cents of advice.

I have been in this game for a while. I will tell you this. When you put the word "sell" into a hobby, it officially becomes a job.
That is the truth for sure.