Tarantula and Invert Mounts

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
How many of you have done mounts like this?
I've done one, sort of. It's a molt though.

Thankfully, I haven't had the opportunity to mount a dead one yet.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Hobo,

Your molt mount turned out pretty good. I have some molts I am thinking of doing like that, but haven't yet. Oh, and give it time you will have actual dead specimens that will be nice enough to preserve.

Good job,

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
You know those aren't communal species...right? Also, that is not a very good substrate:barf:!

--Dan

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Wow. That's really cool! I'm planning on making some mounts and jewelry from the molts of my littlest slings. Maybe a ring or a necklace or something.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ditto Mr Hobo - I haven't been in this hobby long enough, and may I never be, to have a full-grown dead tarantula to mount (how in the world does one do THAT???) - I've been experimenting with arranging molts, mainly for growth comparison purposes, and artsy little horizontal treatments like this ...

... but as is evident, I'm not very good at it yet - not ready to do anything suitable for wall-hanging ... but when I am, where did you get those cool frames? Do you make them yourself?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
... but as is evident, I'm not very good at it yet - not ready to do anything suitable for wall-hanging ... but when I am, where did you get those cool frames? Do you make them yourself?
Hobby Lobby is a great source for shadow boxes. I've used quite a few of them for displaying knives. ;)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Hobby Lobby is a great source for shadow boxes. I've used quite a few of them for displaying knives. ;)
Yes, Hobby Lobby and Michael's are great sources. That particular shadow box is from Michael's and I only paid around $7 for it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
How do you dry out a specimen without the abdomen leaking, or anything else getting damaged? I'm assuming you don't just leave it somewhere to dry? Or do you...? I would think it wouldn't smell too good if the specimen was large.

I may get a chance sooner than I think. I have a MM avic that's fairly old. I wouldn't mind him in a nice shadowbox diorama when he passes on :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
How do you dry out a specimen without the abdomen leaking, or anything else getting damaged? I'm assuming you don't just leave it somewhere to dry? Or do you...? I would think it wouldn't smell too good if the specimen was large.
You're not gonna like this, but:

Make an incision on the ventral side of the abdomen with a razor blade. Scoop out the, um...innards. Stuff with cotton or some other inert material & either sew(I don't suggest this unless you're good with a needle) or Krazy glue the incision shut. You may need a little tape over the incision while the glue dries. After that, I personally would freeze dry for a while before letting the body to air dry. With an MM/smaller abdomen, it'll be a bit easier. Drying time = be patient. I avoid alcohol as it tends to discolor while drying. Post your results!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
With all of the inverts in that display they were left alone and placed on desiccant. I was not planning on doing this with them, but it has worked out well.