Tapinauchenius latipes "Ghost tree spider"

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius latipes "Ghost tree spider" a rare arboreal believed to originate in Venezuela. There is a slightly greenish tinge to the carapace and a silky gold/bronze overall coloration with red hairs on the rear legs. Beauty!

This beautiful girl was on of the 1st time import spiderlings back in August of 2001. Shes a fully grown adult, she calmly crawled out of her container. One of the calmist of the Tapinauchenius I've seen, not prone to jet out of the container and across the room like T. gigas. She calmly cleaned her fangs while being photographed.

She's so vain!

N-Joy
Art

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
as well she might be...what a beauty!
I had a T elenae, I think another fairly rare Tap. but it ended up dead of unknown causes at about the 2" size

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice pics Art!!! Are you going to be breeding her??

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey man

nice pics art!!
i too, want to know if you're breeding that T!
Do you have any other Tapinauchenius Ts?

peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love the Tapinauchenius genus, they are cool arboreals.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, to be honest, I don't think that this species is as nice as some of the other taps. But with that being said, I've really been considering adding a Tap. to my collection. But I feel like I don't know enough about the genus.

What are going to be the similarities/differences between Taps and the Avics.

What are the general differences between Taps and Psalamous'?

Any info would be great.

Jon

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a beautiful T. latipes Art!
I have been wanting to get a T. gigas for awhile, all the Tapinauchenius seem to be great looking, which is your favorite out of them.

I've heard they are fast, how is their temperment?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm just going to jump in here real quick...

generally pretty fast and agressive...but then again, you know the drill with Ts :)

and again, not that you asked, but personally i dig the T.purpureus, but they're all great bunch of Ts!!

peace
dave

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fast sure...

But I certainly wouldn't call T gigas aggressive. All I ever got out of them was running. Awesome species though and not often available.

Phil

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I've never gotten anything but a flight response from a Tap....And boy can they run! lol
Not particularly aggressive, but still not recommended for a beginner, as they do rival Poecs in the speed department. My latipes is a sweetheart, and is pretty shy. My T. gigas, however, are not so sweet, and will bolt out of their cages, up my arm, around my back, down my side, off my leg, under the bed, and up the wall in about 10 seconds :p

Personally, I like latipes and elenae best, but we just got some Tap. cupreus this week, which are pretty awesome :D

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A common mistake...

It seems that fast Ts are quite often mistakenly referred to as aggressive. I believe this most likely stems from folks just not being comfortable with the speed and reading too much into it. Not to mention that to label any T as aggressive is really pushing it as aggression is actively coming towards you to cause harm ( something Ts simply do not do ) where they are actually defensive in that if not threatened or if escape is an option then they feel no need to fight back.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree!

i've said it before and i'll say it again, there's a difference between AGGRESSIVE and DEFENSIVE...

very very true.
some people have aggressive Ts and some have defensive T's.... Its really hard to generalise a certain group of anything. Its def. safe to say that this is a fast T :)

peace
dave

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you agree...

i'm just going to jump in here real quick...

generally pretty fast and agressive...but then again, you know the drill with Ts

and again, not that you asked, but personally i dig the T.purpureus, but they're all great bunch of Ts!!

peace
dave

Confused here as to why if you agree that there is a difference you would label them as generally fast and aggressive? Especially when it's hard to generalize as you put it. I will however give you that it is entirely safe to say they are fast with their speed rivaling any species out there.

Phil

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, that's an unobtrusively nice Tap :)
Nice abbrevation too, I hadn't though of it.

Are Taps generally considered faster than Stromatopelmas?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well to me, they seem to be fast and aggressive...

some people they arent. thats just my opinion, though.
either way... realllllllllllllllllllllll fast :)
off to ship some Ts.....

peace
dave

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not sure on quicker...

Never having tried to drag race the 2 species but they are right up there with Stromatopelma and Poecilotheria when it comes to speed. Some Taps seem slower than others but the gigas can flat out haul.

Phil

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, let me reword my question.

I've never owned a pokie or any other old world arborial. I don't plan on it either.

I do however have experience with avics and limited experience with P. cambridgi.

I don't find the avics challanging at all speed wise.

The cambridgi on the other hand, I accidentally killed because it bolted on me and tried to catch it with a deli cup. I pulled off a couple of legs in the process. It did not recover.

The cambridgi was the fastest spider that I ever owned. I think that I over reacted, not because of its speed, but because of its speed combined with is oldworld like characteristics -- ie lack of urticating hair and thus propensity to bite instead of hair in act of defensiveness and reputed or at least semi reputed strength of venom. This is why I don't keep old world arborials.

So I guess what I want to know, are the following questions:

1-How defensive are Taps in general?
2-What are their defensive characteristics/reactions?
3-How fast does it take for one to get from hand to face?
4-If it does make it to my face, what are the odds that it will sink its fangs into one of my eyes or any other part of my face?
5-How long will it take to catch one that gets away from me in my presence?

Thanks,

Jon

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
answers...

1 About as defensive as the chevron

2 Rear up sometimes but most often high speed run

3 Not long :)

4 If you don't grab it or restrict it's movement very slim. They run to get away not to attack.

5 Can be a handful need to give yourself room to manipulate them. Very very quick quicker than a chevron.

Phil