Tapinauchenius cupreus Sac!!

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hello all!!!!

so I went to check on the Tarantulas and I checked these guys first the male looks like he has passed away because he's on the floor however his legs and feet are not tucked under him so he's probably entering the death stages.

The female is as we speak is working on the sack but I'm not sure exactly what she's doing with the sack and I'm not even sure if it's a viable one.

I do however think it is a viable sac because I never got the chance to take him out of her enclosure so they've been together for a minimum of two weeks probably a whole month and she has never tried to kill him or he would already be dead.

I made sure to keep her fed on adult horned worms so once she stop accepting food I assumed she was full from eating because her abdomen was a good size I guess the sac explained that.

Everytime I tried to take him out he was close to the top and then went down all the way. I left him in there because I did not want to stress her out so I just left him in there however he never tried to bite or even make any threat poses.

She has completely sealed herself into one side of the enclosure but I can see inside so I have a good view on her and the sack which I think she started making either late last night or early this morning.

From my small experience (this breeding attempt) Tapinauchenius cupreus females don't seem to be a violent towards the males before or even after the mating.

Before the egg sac came she approached him many times, he was actually the one walking away. Dont confuse that with running away because they both were taking light steps around the enclosure.
He was going away from her but she was slowly walking towards him.

All and all, in the end she never attacked him nor gave him any threat poses such a good woman lol.

Now what do I do next?

Wait for a month from today then remove the egg sac?

Once I get the sac out in a month I gently open it to see if any eggs are viable and if so start making an incubator?

If I'm unable to get the sac out what's the next step?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!!!!

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Yes, wait a month and take sac away. There is very good chance it is viable, since he was 2 weeks inside and they most surely mated, maybe even multiple times. If you can't get sac out you'll have hundred little "problems" inside, so if it takes to bulldoze whole thing to get sac out, do it(you'd need to do it anyways if they hatch inside). I won't talk too much about incubators as there are a lot of good guides on how to make them here, calling @louise f . Wish you luck mate :)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Yes, wait a month and take sac away. There is very good chance it is viable, since he was 2 weeks inside and they most surely mated, maybe even multiple times. If you can't get sac out you'll have hundred little "problems" inside, so if it takes to bulldoze whole thing to get sac out, do it(you'd need to do it anyways if they hatch inside). I won't talk too much about incubators as there are a lot of good guides on how to make them here, calling @louise f . Wish you luck mate :)

Thank you very much, a few more questions:

Should I mist the enclosure from now until I take out the sac?

Will she eat now?

For my aboreal Ts I never use water dishes, however I'm asking in this case because she made her sac on the ground.... Is this unusual for aboreal Ts? I wouldn't know.

I just now lightly tapped the male and he is actually still full of energy so I was able to remove him from her enclosure by using a toilet paper roll so I won't have to bother her any more other than food/water.

As far as the male goes is he just going to die in his enclosure or will he eat/drink if giving the option?

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Should I mist the enclosure from now until I take out the sac?
No, but keep humidity by moistening the substrate.
Will she eat now?
No, do not offer food. Guarding and massaging her egg sac is all her life now, and anything extra just disturbs her. She will not starve.
For my aboreal Ts I never use water dishes, however I'm asking in this case because she made her sac on the ground.... Is this unusual for aboreal Ts? I wouldn't know.
T's make sacs on horizontal surface, so ground is usual place to make one. I see it is nicely folded and round, so it looks very promising

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
As for the male, try to feed him and keep him alive. Since he lived, it is nice gesture to try finding him next female for pairing, and you can make many deals, like trade him for some other T's, flat out sell him, etc. There is classifieds section here where you can put him up and see if anyone need him.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Here is an update:

I didn't end up doing an incubator so a month later I now have a mom and a few babies.

Not sure how many because all but one are still in the web she initially made the sac inside of.

Also below is a photo of a single sling I rehoused sinced she was nice enough to let me get this particular baby out and didn't dart out of the web/enclosure.

I'm actually gonna take that baby out of the new enclosure, that needs much more substrate I know!

cold blood

Staff member
1i slings should be in an incubator, they will molt much faster there and you will have a better survival rate. Separate them when they molt and start eating.

I made the mistake of doing it your way once...never again....everything took 3 times longer than it should have and I lost about half the sac before I moved them to an incubator.

Since I changed to incubating them I have had zero issues.

Best of luck.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ys
1i slings should be in an incubator, they will molt much faster there and you will have a better survival rate. Separate them when they molt and start eating.

I made the mistake of doing it your way once...never again....everything took 3 times longer than it should have and I lost about half the sac before I moved them to an incubator.

Since I changed to incubating them I have had zero issues.

Best of luck.
Thank you I'll YouTube some ways to make em in the am!