tank for a versicolor?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've just been on the hunt around my room for a tank for my new 1.5cm vesicolor. I was just wondering if this little plastic tub I found would be ok? I was worried about it being a bit too open when I open it up, so the versi would escape everytime I opened it.

Opinions?? :)

Attachments

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
w0w....cool jar.. were did ya get it? it looks allright to me.. But you might wanna get more thuoghts on it:)

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's just a little plastic tub which I bought ages ago with some cotton wool buds in it. I think they're called q-tips in the USA. I saw it sat on my desk this morning and thought it might be ideal :) It's softish plastic too which is good because I don't have a drill so I'm punching holes in it with a compass point.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looks good to me, man......I just think you should get another mind on the subject...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I see no reason why it wouldn't work but you're going to have a period of "training" the guy where to build its webbing. With a top that big you're going to destroy it every time you open it until it learns its lesson.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah my baby versic' isn't a runner, but when I open the lid it walks out and onto whatever it can. Just keep the ventilation holes as small as you can as mine somehow squeezed through one :confused:

Use your heat mat on the side that has the 'hinge' not the actual opening, and put a stick there aswell, that way your spider will web away from the opening.. hopefully :p

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if it were me I would have used the shorter part of the container for the bottom and secured a silk leaf/s at the top of the longer part, this way the sling would build a web at the larger "top" part and would not run out every time you open it up. I use the smaller size beanie baby containers as I mentioned above, they never run out like they do when they are in pill vials.
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
I'm with CM..with a piece of driftwood, corkbark or, a leaf, your versi will, in time, learn to build away from the top. But, you'll have to be extra careful, until he does do this. My a. avic was foreder strolling out onto my arm, everytime I opened her lid.
Peace,
Gillian

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Like Chip said, you're going to destroy the web every time you have to get in there. I didn't know eventually they'd stop webbing there.. I know mine hasn't learned the roof is off limits yet.

Bill

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmmm... I don't wanna stress my little baby out everytime I go to feed it.

I keep hearing about these beanie baby display tanks, however I am not in the USA so I have no idea if they sell them over here in the UK. Anyone got any idea???????? :confused:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
You don't have beanie babies there?

How hard is it to get citizenship?

Bill

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lostkat

I keep hearing about these beanie baby display tanks, however I am not in the USA so I have no idea if they sell them over here in the UK. Anyone got any idea???????? :confused:
are they those cuddly toys with the "TY" on them?

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
are they those cuddly toys with the "TY" on them?

Umm I think so. I've never seen anywhere selling display cabinets though

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Umm I think so. I've never seen anywhere selling display cabinets though
do you have "craft" or "hobby" shops in the UK? that is where they sell the cases here in the states.
Ed

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, those are the stuffed animal toys with the "Ty" tag on them. Don't say "toy" to the diehard Ty collectors, they'll attack you for that. :D

Here's a pic of the display cubes that are used for Tys.

Bry

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

You'll probably run into the same problem with the lid of either container.
Another thing I was (or am ;)) going to point out is that ventilation is very important for versicolors. The container you showed in the pic might could use more holes on the sides etc. to provide better airflow.

Atrax

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, I thought of that :) Quite a few more holes in the sides were added after I took the pic :) I think I'll stick with this for the short term, and have a hunt around when I get home (I'm at uni at the moment) for something more appropriate.