Taking the plunge....

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Hello good people! I've got some experience of keeping and breeding true spiders and now fancy taking the plunge and getting my first T.
Im looking for a colourful arboreal species of the non reclusive variety. I was tempted to get a Poecilotheria Metallica sling, but am worried this might not be suitable for a tarantula n00b. Thoughts?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Depends, man... why P.metallica shouldn't be suggested to Theraphosidae beginners (I've said Theraphosidae beginners) that had experience with true spiders, prior?

For what I can know about, you could had even experience with genus Phoneutria or, for the same reason, common house spiders :kiss:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Hello good people! I've got some experience of keeping and breeding true spiders and now fancy taking the plunge and getting my first T.
Im looking for a colourful arboreal species of the non reclusive variety. I was tempted to get a Poecilotheria Metallica sling, but am worried this might not be suitable for a tarantula n00b. Thoughts?
You are very correct. Pokies are not very recommended for a first T. While no more dangerous than some true spiders, they can probably be harder to evade. Shoot for one of the Avicularia genus, like the A. metallica. Not blue, but its got that heavy metal name. Or, the Caribena (ex avic) versicolor, orrrrr the Y.(also ex avic) diversipes.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Well I have kept Huntsmen of various kinds. So 'skittish' spiders dont overly bother me. But I heard Pokies are moody and aggressive at best!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Well I have kept Huntsmen of various kinds. So 'skittish' spiders dont overly bother me. But I heard Pokies are moody and aggressive at best!
Id say more defensive than aggressive. Dont make em mad, everything SHOULD be fine, but they teleport at the drop of a hat. Bites have been known to put people down for weeks or more.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want to start with an arboreal, don't go with an Avicularia as they aren't the easiest to keep. You seem like you have some experience, so jump in. P. regalis is an excellent first choice.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Im quite used to the teleportation thing with my Huntsmans (Huntsmen? o_O :happy: ), but they're not overly aggressive or defensive. Decisions decisions.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
If you want to start with an arboreal, don't go with an Avicularia as they aren't the easiest to keep. You seem like you have some experience, so jump in. P. regalis is an excellent first choice.
Thats an impressive looking animal. Better temperament than a P.Metallica would you say?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats an impressive looking animal. Better temperament than a P.Metallica would you say?
Just my opinion, but they are much less erratic and frantic. My first regalis stayed with me for over sixteen years, on my second now. You have to show respect and never forget what they are, but I have had no issues feeding, cleaning, changing enclosures etc...

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
it all depends. the one thing you have going for you is that you may be a Tarantula Noob, but you obviously are not a Spider noob.

it would really depend on the species of True spiders you have Experience with. if you've kept a good number of like, say:
Phoneutria vera, any of the Lactrodectus genus, a Atrax robustus(still a mygalomorph but still), or god knows what else.

then a P. Metallica is not far off. as @Chris LXXIX put, for all we know you may own some Wandering spiders and may already be well equipt to deal with very fast, very potent spiders already, the biggest difference will if anything, just be the usual size difference between most tarantulas and true spiders usually.

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Cheers all! Some great suggestions there. Wouldnt say that any spiders I've kept would be classified as dangerous but I do know the general do's and donts when it comes to keeping arachnids. So I might take the plunge and buy a P.Metallica sling. Would actually have chosen A.Metallica,being very docile but I cant find it for sale anywhere (UK).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, since you mentioned that you want something non-reclusive, pokies may not be the best choice for that. They're very nervous spiders. Gorgeous Ts, for sure. But they do hide a lot, at least from my personal experience. In regards to speed, I'd definitely say huntsmans are similar. The only difference is the size and temperament. Pokies are also a little overrated in regards to difficulty..... they're actually pretty easy. I'd say H. maculata makes a pokie look like a sloth!

Avicularia (and Caribena) make great display spiders. Great colors, and almost always out. And they're not difficult at all, provided you don't follow online caresheets. One thing I really like about them is their tendency to travel upward when scared, which means they're still visible. Pokies are the exact opposite: When they get spooked, they dash downward into hiding. Both are arboreal, but personalities differ greatly.

Hope this helps!

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
Well, since you mentioned that you want something non-reclusive, pokies may not be the best choice for that. They're very nervous spiders. Gorgeous Ts, for sure. But they do hide a lot, at least from my personal experience. In regards to speed, I'd definitely say huntsmans are similar. The only difference is the size and temperament. Pokies are also a little overrated in regards to difficulty..... they're actually pretty easy. I'd say H. maculata makes a pokie look like a sloth!

Avicularia (and Caribena) make great display spiders. Great colors, and almost always out. And they're not difficult at all, provided you don't follow online caresheets. One thing I really like about them is their tendency to travel upward when scared, which means they're still visible. Pokies are the exact opposite: When they get spooked, they dash downward into hiding. Both are arboreal, but personalities differ greatly.

Hope this helps!
Cheers, some great info there! I'll spend the next week or so doing a bit more research. Then no doubt I'll inform you all of my choice! Great friendly forum btw.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sadly, you mentioned arboreals and your choice for "non reclusive" ones, otherwise I have the perfect Theraphosidae to suggest, my man.

I'm talking about the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :)

Doesn't exist a better spider :-s

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Honestly, I think if you're a calm person and take proper precautions and do all the research you can and just use your head then any T can be manageable. Once they've settled in they're really no trouble at all 99% of the time. Just never get cocky cause the one time you do it'll explode out of the enclosure like a bat out of hell. Good luck!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Im looking for a colourful arboreal species of the non reclusive variety. I was tempted to get a Poecilotheria Metallica sling, but am worried this might not be suitable for a tarantula n00b.
True spider experience or not, I would not recommend a Poecilotheria as your first tarantula. I can't think of many true spiders that would adequately prepare you for the medically significant speedsters in this genus. (Sparassids are skittish but not particularly dangerous.)

It is often said that Pokies will outgrow the abilities of a new keeper. You should definitely read some bite reports before deciding whether this is the right genus for you.

Avicularia are really the most beginner-friendly arboreal, and many are brightly colored. Look for a reasonably priced juvenile (2" or larger) of a more durable species like Avicularia metallica or Avicularia avicularia. (Though no longer in the genus, Caribena versicolor could be an option too.) Avics have a reputation for being a bit fragile, but I think your tarantula will be fine as long as you follow the instructions in this post by @viper69 and post a picture of your enclosure for feedback before adding the tarantula.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei might be an option too, though they are faster and have more potent venom than Avicularia. They also lack the bright coloring of an Avic, although the olive green is attractive in its own right. Psalmopoeus is considered to be a good intermediate step for those who are interested in later getting an Old World arboreal like Poecilotheria. Some species can be reclusive; P. cambridgei gets more visible as it grows.

Last edited: