taking pictures of tarantulas

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Now I'm going to have to go out and look for another camera! And I have to figure a way to rationalize buying it to Marguerite. And, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! :D

Thanks for the heads-up, I think.
Haha... you're quite welcome. ;)

If you've enjoyed your Sony, I can highly recommend the "H" series of "super-zooms" ... no hot-shoe, but incredible picture quality and range... I have the H5, and love it!

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"...what do i need to do to capture the amazing colors of a tarantula. What mode...is it portrait or auto that captures the colors....

i have used both and niether seem to be working....
but that could be cause i have an older camera."

Hmmm...nothing wrong with the colours that I get when I use 30 year old SLR cameras loaded with slide film....! The photo of the spider on the left was taken with a macro lens and an extension tube. Both images were shot using Fujichrome Sensia 100 slide film.

“I through macro in there but if your camera has a decent zoom you should be OK.”

That is certainly an option. Though I notice with some cameras with fixed lenses that boast a very long zoom range, the minimum focusing distance is not that impressive in non-macro mode. However, if you can zoom in enough to fill the frame with a human hand and have that hand in focus, then it's probably fine for tarantulas of a decent size. A tripod would be required here. Otherwise, I would use macro. If photographing through the top of the enclosure without a lid, macro would be the logical choice.

Additionally, if you're tarantula is the kind that stays perfectly still for long periods of time, you could use available lighting as an alternative to flash. Using very slow shutter speeds would allow you to use the ambient lighting in your room…another situation to use a tripod and cable release / remote release. Positioning the enclosure by a large window on a bright overcast day would provide soft, diffused natural lighting. However, as tarantulas are largely nocturnal, the spider may not be very fond of this idea….

Last edited:

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
would it be suggestable to join up a camera club to learn more about all the settings?

Avix4me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are three things you need to know about taking pictures of T's:
Lighting
Lighting
Macro, and
Lighting!

Get as much, bright full spectrum lighting you can. I through macro in there but if your camera has a decent zoom you should be OK.
You accually listed 4...:D

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would it be suggestable to join up a camera club to learn more about all the settings?
Maybe, as long as you don't get really serious about the club thing. My experience has been that special interest clubs are more about petty politics than about fiddling with their special interest.

From my perspective, the second meeting that they don't have some sort of camera related presentation would be my last. But then, I'm an old curmudgeon anyway.

Enjoy taking lots of tarantula pix. Wallpaper the living room with them. Don't forget the ceiling!

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You will not go wrong with the current Canon PowerShot cameras as they have an excellent lens and macro capablilities. $400 will easliy get you here with money left for external flash and or lighting equipment.

But If want to take it a step further a SLR camera and 1:1 macro lens is necessary as it will create a full scale image on the sensor or film as you choose.

True macro lenses are very sharp and also make excellent portrait lenses.

I use the Nikon 55mm micro and Canon EF 100mm macro lenses, many zoom lenses also include macro (close focus) capabilities.