Taking care of pedelings

chubbypuppy

Arachnopeon
A few weeks ago I discovered I had bumblebee pedelings. They have been doing good and I think growing, but I'd like to know if there are things I should do to ensure they are healthy and will survive. Do they need special food or nutrients? I've just been feeding them oak leaves and sometimes a little slice of fruit or vegetable

mickiem

Arachnoprince
A few weeks ago I discovered I had bumblebee pedelings. They have been doing good and I think growing, but I'd like to know if there are things I should do to ensure they are healthy and will survive. Do they need special food or nutrients? I've just been feeding them oak leaves and sometimes a little slice of fruit or vegetable
You should probably add rotten wood to the enclosure once a week or so. The bumblebees, in my experience, grow more slowly than any other I have had breed. I feed fresh fruit daily to pedelings and when I remove it I check it carefully. The pedelings can get under the skin so be diligent! Mine enjoy mushrooms, avocados, apple, corn, etc. Keep up with the oak leaves, too. Congrats! Enjoy the babies.

chubbypuppy

Arachnopeon
You should probably add rotten wood to the enclosure once a week or so. The bumblebees, in my experience, grow more slowly than any other I have had breed. I feed fresh fruit daily to pedelings and when I remove it I check it carefully. The pedelings can get under the skin so be diligent! Mine enjoy mushrooms, avocados, apple, corn, etc. Keep up with the oak leaves, too. Congrats! Enjoy the babies.
Where would I get rotting wood from? Would wood from the forest be ok, or could that have bugs that could he harmful to my pedes on it? I'll be sure to give them a lot more fresh food! Thank you so much! :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Where would I get rotting wood from? Would wood from the forest be ok, or could that have bugs that could he harmful to my pedes on it? I'll be sure to give them a lot more fresh food! Thank you so much! :)
Yes, from the forest is great. I always sterilize mine but I know some who do not and seem to be successful. I bake it at 200 degrees for 2 hours. I cover it with foil (shiny side out). I always find creatures burrowing in the wood. Sometimes a bee or fly but I worry about introducing something that could prove difficult to remove.

The wood should be in the state of rot where it will crumble easily but not be black or slimy. If critters outside are not interested in it, it probably is past an edible stage.

chubbypuppy

Arachnopeon
Yes, from the forest is great. I always sterilize mine but I know some who do not and seem to be successful. I bake it at 200 degrees for 2 hours. I cover it with foil (shiny side out). I always find creatures burrowing in the wood. Sometimes a bee or fly but I worry about introducing something that could prove difficult to remove.

The wood should be in the state of rot where it will crumble easily but not be black or slimy. If critters outside are not interested in it, it probably is past an edible stage.
Well sadly right now I don't have any access to an oven because mine is broken and I'm not sure when it'll get fixed. do you think microwaving the wood would work? Thank you so much for all of the advice I really appreciate it.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Well sadly right now I don't have any access to an oven because mine is broken and I'm not sure when it'll get fixed. do you think microwaving the wood would work? Thank you so much for all of the advice I really appreciate it.
I know the heat isn't distributed evenly in a microwave; but it would be better than nothing. I soak my leaves in water for about 24 hours sometimes if they aren't broken down enough. Then I let them dry before adding them to the enclosures. If the wood is broken down enough, you can see any larger insect when you crumble it, so that would also help.