Taiwanese Centipedes

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Apologies for lack of ID on things going forward. Just want to make a thread with pictures of the centipedes I find here in this country. There are some interesting things i feel a pity i never really bothered to catch and photograph. If people have thoughts on species, or more likely genera, i would be very grateful! i quite enjoy the centipede diversity here, from tiny through to very large!

To start with, here is a pretty camo green little guy. I find centipedes like this by the hundreds every day in our nursery and farms. but never so green. The photos dont really do its color justice. i find far more metallic, black, blue and yellow types. this is the only realy green one i have ever seen. This one is about 7cm long. Look gravid?

and just a random shot from same location of unknown baby centipedes. a few mm long. for size referrnce (sort of) some of those soil clumps are smaller worm castings. the roots are the small fibrous roots of a small grass about 5cm in height. pretty tiny!

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Out photographing some frogs with some friends and we came across this BEAUTY! all of us were plagued with dead batteries and flash issues. so these pics were taken with crappy on camera flash and headlight. so they aren't super bright or clear. it was pitch black and also these guys move fast.

anyway, it was too interesting not to share. these semi aquatic blue legged centipedes in Taiwan are fascinating! this one had hunted a shrimp in front of our eyes and was moving at what i would guess about a speed of our slow stroll. we kept following it down the waters edge, maybe 40 meters?

this one was around 25cm ish. one of the biggest i have seen in the wild :) Legs super blue, despite the lack luster pics.

Regular ol scolependra same spot. half the size of the blue guy.

Last edited:

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
Out photographing some frogs with some friends and we came across this BEAUTY! all of us were plagued with dead batteries and flash issues. so these pics were taken with crappy on camera flash and headlight. so they aren't super bright or clear. it was pitch black and also these guys move fast.

anyway, it was too interesting not to share. these semi aquatic blue legged centipedes in Taiwan are fascinating! this one had hunted a shrimp in front of our eyes and was moving at what i would guess about a speed of our slow stroll. we kept following it down the waters edge, maybe 40 meters?

this one was around 25cm ish. one of the biggeSst i have seen in the wild :) Legs super blue, despite the lack luster pics.

Regular ol scolependra same spot. half the size of the blue guy.

Scolopendra alcyona.